With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists come ugly tourist behavior?

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:30 pm
Do you think whether the grammar of the sentence "With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists come ugly tourist behavior" is okay?

Context:

Ugly tourists in Spring

With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists come ugly tourist behavior.

Last weekend, over 100,000 visitors descended upon Wuhan University for the annual cherry blossom festival. Cherry blossom lovers crowded the 200-meter-long road, turning the usually quiet campus into a crowded park.

A man was caught on camera climbing onto a tree to make petals fall as "cherry blossom rain” for photos.

Online, criticism has been loud and unequivocal. Top posts simply fumed, "Such poor quality (manners)!" and "What a loss of face."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 377 • Replies: 9
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
oristarA

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:14 pm
@oristarA,
Mark: zero replies.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 07:42 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists come ugly tourist behavior.

the second verb should be "comes", because behaviour is a singular subject.
Bad behaviour comes with the spring tourists.

so

With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists comes ugly tourist behavior.
oristarA

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 08:15 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

Quote:

the second verb should be "comes", because behaviour is a singular subject.
Bad behaviour comes with the spring tourists.

so

With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists comes ugly tourist behavior.

Thank you McTag.
I wonder why not have used "with spring come spring tourists" because "spring tourists" is a plural subject.
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 10:14 am
@oristarA,

Good point, and I didn't notice that.
It works with the singular (and sounds a bit better, to me) since "Spring tourists" can be thought of as a singular group.
But grammatically, you are right.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 07:52 pm
He comes.
They come.
oristarA

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 09:48 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

He comes.
They come.

The question is that "With spring comes spring tourists, and with spring tourists come ugly tourist behavior" sounds really good, though the use of "comes" and "come" is incorrect grammatically.
chai2

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 10:57 pm
@oristarA,
To me it doesn't sound good, or correct at all.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 11:12 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

It works with the singular (and sounds a bit better, to me) since "Spring tourists" can be thought of as a singular group.

I think this is the key. Native speakers hear spring tourists as a singular group.

____

Chai and McTag are right. It doesn't sound good the other way to native speakers - or people who've had it as a primary language for 50+ years.
chai2

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:03 am
@ehBeth,
Right.

Orister, "tourists" are not a singular group, as the replacement word would be "they"
0 Replies