Muhammad also assured his followers that Jesus was not divine (Koran 5:71-75; 19:30-38)?

Wed 25 Mar, 2015 11:18 pm
Who would like to offer the link of the online Koran in English version, so that we will know what Koran 5:71-75; 19:30-38 say.
Thank you in advance.

Context:

Consider: every devout Muslim has the same reasons for being a Muslim that you have for being a Christian. And yet you do not find their reasons compelling. The Koran repeatedly declares that it is the perfect word of the creator of the universe. Muslims believe this as fully as you believe the Bible's account of itself. There is a vast literature describing the life of
Muhammad that, from the point of view of Islam, proves that he was the most recent Prophet of God. Muhammad also assured his followers that Jesus was not divine (Koran 5:71-75; 19:30-38) and that anyone who believes otherwise will spend eternity in hell. Muslims are certain that Muhammad's opinion on this subject, as on all others, is infallible.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,188 • Replies: 11
Topic Closed
No top replies

George

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 05:57 am
@oristarA,
Here is one.

http://www.clearquran.com/

It seems easy to read, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the
tranlation.
coldjoint

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:12 am
@George,
Quote:
It seems easy to read, but I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the
tranlation.

It is not accurate.
Kolyo

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:15 am
@oristarA,
From George's version:

<<They disbelieve those who say, "God is the Messiah the son of Mary." But the Messiah himself said, "O Children of Israel, worship God, my Lord and your Lord. Whoever associates others with God, God has forbidden him Paradise, and his dwelling is the Fire. The wrongdoers have no saviors.">> (5:72)

Smileyrius

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:14 pm
@Kolyo,
My reading of this suggests it to be a statement that Jesus is not a part of a trinity godhead, I think this is just as well backed up by the Christian bible too. He did not, at least in this passage, challenge Jesus' credentials as the "messiah" just the belief in his equality with God.

I have of course been wrong before
George

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:40 pm
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:
It is not accurate.
How do you know?
coldjoint

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:44 pm
@George,
Quote:
How do you know?

From reading accepted much older translations.

http://www.searchtruth.com/chapter_display.php?chapter=5&translator=2&mac=
oristarA

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:50 pm
Thank you guys.
But the question now is we cannot find out in Koran 5:71-75; 19:30-38 that Muhammad had directly referred to Jesus, saying that he was not divine.
0 Replies

George

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:21 pm
@coldjoint,
Thanks!
coldjoint

Thu 26 Mar, 2015 06:16 pm
@George,
Quote:
Thanks!

No problem. You are welcome.
0 Replies

shallyv

Mon 14 Sep, 2015 05:53 pm
Muhammad, we're told, went up a mountain to meditate in a cave about God. He's supposed to have met the angel Gabriel who ordered him to "Read!"
Now wouldn't an angel of God know that Muhammad was illiterate and unable to read?
I hold that Muhammad had suffered hypothermia in the cold cave, then hallucinated about an angel ordering him to read three times. He suffered three minor heart attacks (the angel squeezing him three times). The hallucinations continued even after he'd left the cave as he saw the 'angel's' form magnified into that of a giant. When he reached home, he asked his wife to "Cover me up!" as he was still suffering from the cold. His wife's cousin told him he had seen the same angel (Gabriel) that had been in contact with Moses. How would he know?
The Koran is a compilation of what Muhammad's companions remembered of what Muhammad had told them while he was alive. The repetitious nature of the Koran seems to leave out no Companion's anecdote.
0 Replies

Love2Love

Fri 1 Jun, 2018 04:56 pm
@Smileyrius,
You wrote: "My reading of this suggests it to be a statement that Jesus is not a part of a trinity godhead, I think this is just as well backed up by the Christian bible too. He did not, at least in this passage, challenge Jesus' credentials as the "messiah" just the belief in his equality with God."

5:71-75 is stating the Islamic belief about the aloofness of God and the station of Christ:

- Allah (God) is not the Messiah son of Mary (= Jesus)
- Following from that: Allah is not a trinity, he is One.
- As you can see, the Messiahship is not doubted, in fact it is reaffirmed. The return of Jesus is one of the salient messages of Islam.
0 Replies