ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:36 am
just listened to a terrific interview on CBC radio

Quote:
AsapSCIENCE founders Mitchell Moffit and Greg Brown join guest host Piya Chattopadhyay to discuss their mission to broaden the appeal and accessibility of science — or, in their words, to peddle a "gateway drug" to potential geeks.

you can listen to it - there is a link at this link (28 awesome minutes)

http://www.cbc.ca/radio/q/q-schedule-for-wednesday-march-25-2015-1.3008545/how-asapscience-peddles-a-delightfully-geeky-gateway-drug-1.3008627

________
________

One of them said something that made a lot of sense to me.

It was basically that science itself is proof of evolution.

Too crazy or obvious?

________
________

Separately, does anyone follow asapscience? favourite episodes?

(disclaimer - I think they're marvellous)

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,208 • Replies: 12
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:41 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:

Too crazy or obvious?

Nah... that tag line doesn't make any sense. Science existed before evolution was understood.

We understand that life on Earth, including us, developed through a process of evolution. That doesn't mean that every form of life in the Universe (which we haven't seen or even imagined yet) didn't develop through another process.

An intelligent species that came about by some process other than evolution would presumably also develop science.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 09:45 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
Science existed before evolution was understood.

that's the point right there
maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:00 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks EhBeth... I thought the second point was interesting.

As a though experiment I was imagining what would happen if humans created Artificial Intelligence and then died off.

Bella would understand (correctly in this case) that she had a creator (even though we wouldn't be around any more). She may understand the process that was used to develop her. This wouldn't take away from her ability from understanding science (even biological science).... although it is possible if this AI race ever lost the knowledge of evolution, and it is likely that they would never have a reason to develop the theory of evolution or the evidence to back it up anyway.
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:10 am
@maxdancona,
That science has ... evolved ... to the point of creating AI makes the point.

Science evolves.

Language evolves.

___

I'd personally never looked at evolution from this angle. That our ability to study things has developed/changed/grown/evolved could be seen as a proof of evolution.

Evolution isn't just different coloured bird feathers (and I'm certainly guilty of sometimes taking it back to that kind of thinking).

___

I thought he used an interesting play on words that after the initial ha ha! moment made me really think - which is often good.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:14 am
@ehBeth,
Quote:
It was basically that science itself is proof of evolution. Too crazy or obvious?
Not at all Beth. The apodictical existential pantheist considers the physical Universe as Its (Her) body while all the activity therein is Her thinking; the entire hoo-ha a state of co ntinual evolution
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:33 am
@ehBeth,
The word "evolve" has different meanings. Let's not confuse them.

When I say, my ideas about love have evolved as I have gotten older. What I am saying is that as I have experienced more, my ideas have become more complex and more sophisticated.

When I say, humans evolved from one-celled organisms, I am talking about a biological process involving genetic mutation during the process of reproduction. In biological evolution there are lots of offspring over many generations each competing for resources.

The evolution of ideas can not be blamed on biological evolution any more than falling in love can be blamed on gravity.
maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 10:52 am
This is an interesting discussion.

We now understand that all life on Earth came about through the biological process of evolution which involved a set of mutations during the process of reproduction over many generations. This matches all of the evidence on Earth and explains the diversity we see on the life in Earth. We understand evolution is correct because we see records of it in our history and in our present DNA.

As modern educated people, it is pretty easy to forget that the science of evolution was not at all obvious. It took us thousands of years of scientific thinking to understand it, and even then it wasn't obvious. It is obvious now with our education. We have been exposed to the idea since we were children.

We should also remember that all we know about is life on Earth. All life on Earth is very similar. Every example of life we know about is based on DNA (a very specific molecule that allows a strange and wonderful set of processes to take place). The traits of DNA make evolution happen.

We only know of how life developed on one planet. I don't think any of us are certain that life in other parts of the Universe didn't develop very differently. I would not be surprised to find that intelligent life developed that didn't use DNA, nor would I be surprised this this alien could have developed using the process that was nothing at all like our evolution.

Biological evolution was hard for us to understand. We ended up developing it because it was the only way for us to explain the evidence it left.

An intelligent species on a planet without evolution would likely understand it's own science and study its own development as a species... they may not be able to even imagine how evolution works.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 11:03 am
@maxdancona,
Have you looked at any of the asapscience work on youtube?

________

It's not a matter of "confusing".

It's an attempt to help people understand one meaning by way of another one.

and in the meantime

will it make you or anyone else want to learn more?

hopefully

Very Happy

dalehileman

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 11:04 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The evolution of ideas can not be blamed on biological evolution any more than falling in love can be blamed on gravity.
Yet max it's undeniable, apodictical, that nothing is entirely anything while everything is partly something else

Quote:
I would not be surprised to find that intelligent life developed that didn't use DNA
…or something similar. I'd expect wide variation owing to differences in its size, its from its sun, their age, etc
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 11:17 am
@ehBeth,
That is a great video EhBeth! I work designing a speech recognition product... the bar/far bit was really cool (and the others were too).
ehBeth

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 11:28 am
@maxdancona,
Did I mention I like these guys?

I hope more people check out their youtube channel and book and get hooked on science.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 07:11 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think that's false. Science isn't proof of evolution, but you could describe it as an example of evolution. Science is a process where you have a variety of theories, submit them all to empirical testing, keep the ones that pass the tests, and create new variants by putting new twists on them. That makes science an example of evolution, and it proves that evolutionary methods can be effective. But it doesn't make science a proof of evolution itself.
0 Replies