Passenger Plane Crashes in French Alps.

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
He was 27 - not that it matters, but I'm really wondering why the British media still report the wrong age.

Officially - and no German media reported about - it is not known, why he interrupted the education at Lufthansa flight school. "I am not allowed and don't want to speak about this interruption" (CEO Lufthansa) Which has been,according to Lufthansa, in 2009, because he started school in 2008.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:48 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Aha, I hadn't read that yet. I was positing a mix of love story gone wrong, thus rage, with depression, but as Frank would say, it's just a guess.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Some foreign papers know more than we here, it seems. (Papers here don't e.g. publish his name either.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:20 pm
@ossobuco,
One German paper (the regional Rhein-Zeitung) had spoken to the mother of one of his classmates. Her daughter had told her the he, as far as she remembered what her daughter had said, thathad had a burnout, perhaps a kind of depression.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:31 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Recently, or was that re the training gap, or did the article not say.
There is rage in there somewhere, I think, wanting to pay the world back - says this computer chair psychologist.

I'd hate to be the med person or persons who ok'd him.

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:42 pm
@ossobuco,
"18.52 Some pilots are likely to hide from their employers that they are depressed because it could scupper their career, a pilot for a European airline, who asked not be named, told Rory Mulholland.
"Recurrent depression is not viewed with much sympathy by airlines," he said "I would say a lot of people in the world, including pilots, hide from their bosses that they are depressed."
He said that pilots are legally obliged to inform their employers if they are depressed and to seek psychiatric treatment. "Then they are no longer allowed to fly again until the symptoms disappear," he said.
But he said that flying a plane in a state of depression would be very difficult as it takes a high level of communication and technical skills that would likely be impaired......"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/11491587/Airbus-A320-crashes-in-French-Alps-with-148-people-on-board-live.html
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:53 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Recently, or was that re the training gap, or did the article not say.
Quoting the Daily Mail,
Lordyaswas wrote:

"It has since emerged that the 28-year-old was forced to postpone his pilot training in 2008 because of mental health problems, with a friend saying he was 'in depression.'
The revelation will form a central part of the investigation and raises serious questions about why he was allowed to continue his training and whether enough was done to prevent the disaster.
Airline bosses confirmed Lubitz had taken several months off work and had to retrain to join the firm, but insisted he was '100 per cent fit to fly' after passing all medical tests......"

Germany's stringent pilot aptitude tests

A video of this afternoon's press-conference is >here<
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 02:58 pm
@Lordyaswas,
It certainly might be that "pilots are likely to hide from their employers that they are depressed". He wasn't a pilot then, had just done some months schooling after finishing school in 2008. And interrupted the flight school in 2009 for six months.
Six months is easily explained: courses start semester-wise. And if you're out for more than a couple of days - you have to start again with the next semester.

But I'm sure, police found some background in his flat or his parent's home ...
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 08:07 pm
To suicide requires a momentary decision . Some suicides are planned but most are not . We tend to associate depression and suicide but the two are not as well linked as some might think . What I mean by that is a person may not be obviously or actually depressed to suicide . Some head-on car accidents are believed to be a momentary decision to suicide . There is a clear link between mental illness and suicide, and a lot of mental illness can be hard to pick up . Given this, and the spontaneous nature of most suicides, I dont know what having another person in the cockpit is going to do...they might be allowing the suicider in...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 09:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
whats new about this guys suicide is his decision to make others part of his decision.

Is that his last act of an egotistic self?

If he wished to off himself, he should have left others out
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:13 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
whats new about this guys suicide is his decision to make others part of his decision.
I've been in denial on that very point . I cant believe that someone who has been indoctrinated to care for the plane and his passengers and crew can do that . Yet it is increasingly obvious he did . Sad
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:22 pm
@farmerman,
Some people decide to make suicide with driving on the wrong side of a motorway, blow up a house ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:41 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
But a deliberate act of suicide, with such a mass murder... It doesn't seem to have a terrorist background of any kind ...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:48 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
While the claim for the loss of the plane itself was already paid on Wednesday, a couple of US-lawyers said that Germanwings easily may face multi-million dollar compensation claims over crash.
I don't hope that they offer their services to the relatives just now, in France ...
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:57 pm
Reading the papers this morning, several suggest that a 'love split' may be a reason behind all this, as he was apparently engaged to be married but split from his partner very recently.
They also have a statement from German police saying that a 'significant clue' has been found at one of his homes, but they would not elaborate at this time.

From today's Telegraph....

"Markus Niesczery from Dusseldorf Police told the Daily Mail: 'We wanted to search to see if we could find something that would explain what happened.
"We have found something which will now be taken for tests. We cannot say what it is at the moment but it may be very significant clue to what has happened.
"We hope it may give some explanations."

From The Mail........

"Pilot Andreas Lubitz might have been suffering a 'personal crisis' at the time of the fatal Germanwings crash, it was claimed last night.
Reports from Germany suggested the 28-year-old was struggling to cope after a failed relationship when he deliberately ploughed the Airbus A320 into the mountainside, killing his 149 passengers.
The theory emerged just hours after police investigating the disaster announced they had made a 'significant discovery' during a four-hour search of Lubitz's flat, which he is said to have shared with a girlfriend.
Officers refused to reveal details of the potential breakthrough but insisted it was not a suicide note.
Yesterday, Lubitz's boss admitted he had slipped through the ‘safety net’ and should never have been flying.
It was also revealed that the fitness fanatic had suffered from depression and ‘burnout’ which had held up his career......"

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 12:10 am
@Walter Hinteler,
There's no law here (until now) that two persons must be in the cockpit Regulations laying down technical requirements and administrative procedures related to air operations pursuant to Regulation (EC) No 216/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 12:13 am
Interesting theories about the co-pilot, for sure. Still, I keep seeing pictures of the plane and it looks more like a really bad landing than deliberate and suicidal crash. I'm sure if I had been driving, the debris field would have covered several square miles with no possibility of salvage.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 02:12 am
ICAO press release
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 02:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

From today's Telegraph....

"Markus Niesczery from Dusseldorf Police told the Daily Mail: 'We wanted to search to see if we could find something that would explain what happened.
"We have found something which will now be taken for tests. We cannot say what it is at the moment but it may be very significant clue to what has happened.
"We hope it may give some explanations."
To German media he said [verbatim quote] "diverse Gegenstände und Papiere" [end of quote] (various articles and papers) were seized. Whether that would ultimately provide any insight into the backgrounds of the plane crash, must be seen.