Passenger Plane Crashes in French Alps.

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:27 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:

Excellent post, Walt...it shows the switch I was talking about . If that was set to lock, the code would not open it . Note how easy it would be to select the wrong position in an emergency .

For five minutes. Only.

After that the toggle needs to go to lock again to lock it for another five minutes.
The wrong position in an emergency would only lock it for five minutes.
The locking procedure would need to be repeated.
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Are you a French lawyer to boldly state that the incident DIDN'T take place or are you just trolling ? I'm telling you he was charged by the Police and was waiting for his trial when he would have to prove he was not guilty of assaulting 4 French men outside a pub that he walked past . The Australian Embassy was involved and they had statements from them as well . If I could find the article I would rub your nose in it .
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:51 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
For five minutes. Only.
After that the toggle needs to go to lock again to lock it for another five minutes.
The wrong position in an emergency would only lock it for five minutes.
The locking procedure would need to be repeated.
I suppose it might be possible for the Captain to return after say 1min of the descent, the co-pilot bumps the switch the wrong way, then at the 6 minute mark the pilot would gain access, leaving 2 min till impact . With all the banging on the door, the co-pilot would have to ignore it or keep throwing the switch the wrong way...that can happen, but it shouldnt be considered when looking for a cause the first time around .

It doesnt look good for the co-pilot does it ? Thats a scenario that is shocking . I find it difficult to accept for emotional reasons . I have also worked with a lot of pilots . It is hard to imagine a suicide where he would take his plane and passengers with him.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 10:53 am
@Ionus,
Innocent until proven guilty is in French law since 1989 or thereabout. You're just peddling lies.
Ionus

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:12 am
@Olivier5,
Quote:
Innocent until proven guilty is in French law since 1989 or thereabout. You're just peddling lies.
It was after that , and do you mean lies like:
Quote:
Plus there's no French company involved.

Quote:
Airbus is a European company. True that the French have a lot of control over it. We basically designed the whole thing.

As for being a racist ****, you have no idea how stupid you are calling me that.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:15 am
@Olivier5,
Originally, since August 26, 1789: article 9 of the Déclaration des droits de l'homme et du citoyen.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:17 am
The parents of the co-pilot will be kept (actually are already) apart from the other other victim's relatives.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:24 am
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/mar/26/andreas-lubitz-co-pilot-of-germanwings-flight-4u9525-profile

http://i.guim.co.uk/static/w-620/h--/q-95/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2015/3/26/1427383397758/7b7d134a-00e8-4b65-a65b-ea90f16f6016-620x372.jpeg
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:26 am
@Ionus,
Ionus wrote:
With all the banging on the door, the co-pilot would have to ignore it or keep throwing the switch the wrong way...that can happen, but it shouldnt be considered when looking for a cause the first time around .
Obviously, it wasn't the first idea. It became only of significance after the voice recorder was heard.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:29 am
@Lordyaswas,
There's a debate going on News 24 about the procedures that allowed the co-pilot to lock the captain out. This could not have happened before 9/11, but now whoever is in the cockpit can keep everyone else out. It's a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't, relax those rules and make it easier for terrorists to get in, or keep them as they are and risk something like this happening again.

I just hope they can sort it out.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:31 am
@ossobuco,
Actually, he was 27 years old. (That was already corrected some hours ago.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:35 am
@izzythepush,
The first airline to have changed their procedure, are Transat (Canada) and Norwegian: from today onwards, always two persons have to be in the cockpit.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Apparently Easyjet are looking into thing too.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 11:44 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Air Canada announced the same change by tweet a little while ago.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 12:15 pm
What really is amazing how well the French officials and especially the inhabitants of the village deal with the relatives.

It's not exaggerated to say that we all are here in a state of speechlessness, mourning and shock.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 12:53 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Sorry, I meant 1789...
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:14 pm
@Olivier5,
This was the inflight announcement on a Germans flight from Germany to the UK today:
"Ladies and gentlemen, good afternoon from the flight deck.
"First of all, great to have you on board. As you can imagine, the whole company of Germanwings still a bit under the impression of the events from Tuesday. It's not easy for us presently to get along with all the things happening and the news just coming out today, they don’t make it better.
"Nevertheless, all our thoughts and compassion are with the victims and the relatives of the victims of course. They may be have been our passengers and our colleagues.
"Nevertheless, we have to get back to a regular routine somehow, even though it’s not easy of course, but we have to work of course and you have to travel to your destination, of course so we have to manage it and we will as we have shown in the couple of decades with millions of safe flights.
"We will do it in the future as well and from our side we are ready right now and we will will depart here in a couple of seconds."

Similar announcements were made on all flights of Germanwing and the other Lufthansa-Group airlines.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:19 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
That's a tough bullet to bite, but if they close their operations for more than a few hours, they'll probably be out of business.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:22 pm
"It has since emerged that the 28-year-old was forced to postpone his pilot training in 2008 because of mental health problems, with a friend saying he was 'in depression.'
The revelation will form a central part of the investigation and raises serious questions about why he was allowed to continue his training and whether enough was done to prevent the disaster.
Airline bosses confirmed Lubitz had taken several months off work and had to retrain to join the firm, but insisted he was '100 per cent fit to fly' after passing all medical tests......"

More:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3012053/Andreas-Lubitz-Germanwings-flight-9525-French-alps-crash-French-alps-Germanwings-plane-crash-Airbus-A320-Barcelonnette.html
Olivier5

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 01:22 pm
@Ionus,
Quote:
As for being a racist ****, you have no idea how stupid you are calling me that.

Just putting you on notice that baseless anti-French slur is not any different from any other nation- or race-based slur. It's racism, period.