Novels that explore theology

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:57 am
I'm interested in any good novels that deal seriously, thoughtfully, and with an open-mind, theological / religious issues through story and character.

I should confess a deeper personal interest: my novel about these issues is currently with agent.

But while he ponders its genius (or not), I want to read some work that might help me position it.

To my mind Marilynne Robinson's Gilead novels are the supreme example of this genre. Critically acclaimed by both atheists and the devout.

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 6,336 • Replies: 5
No top replies

layman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 05:11 am
@Neil Griffiths,
If you haven't already read it, Dostoevsky's "Brothers Karamazov" is a classic (kinda long, though).
Neil Griffiths

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 05:37 am
@layman,
I should have mentioned Dostoevsky - yes, I've read BK and others. I may well have exhausted all the novels out there on this subject.
layman

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 05:44 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Quote:
I may well have exhausted all the novels out there on this subject.

In that case, I certainly can't help you. I haven't read even the slightest fraction of that.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 05:53 am
Isaac Bashevis Singer "The Manor" and some other of his books
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:20 am
@Neil Griffiths,
Indirectly, both the tv sci-fi series "Babylon 5" and the AD&D novels in the "Dragonlance" saga both utilize heavy religious metaphors. "Babylon 5" does so overtly using both human religions, and hypoethetical alien ones. "Dragonalance" is all elves and dwarves and such but the religious aspect is prominent in the overarcing storyline about the return of the true gods in a time when false gods are prominent.
0 Replies