Does everyone agree that we evolved from Africa?

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:23 pm
Human beings have existed for about 200,000 years.....

For the first 100,000 (or so), we lived only in Africa.

Does anyone not agree with this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 26 • Views: 44,210 • Replies: 325

djjd62

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:33 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Does everyone agree that we evolved from Africa?

the continent?

well sure, in that we, along with everything else, are all made of stars
farmerjohn1324

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 08:00 pm
@djjd62,
Say what now?

Made of stars?

Now why am I put in the "illogical" and "cuckoo" category?

Yea, sure, we're all made of elements, just like stars.

I'm talking a little bit more recently than that, though.

Your ancestors are African, and if you don't believe this, you are wrong. Just as much as you would be wrong if you though that Helium was the 48th element.
farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:01 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
"We are stardust ,we are golden
we are billion year old carbon
and Ive gotta get back to the gar-ar- ar-den"
Its a James Taylor song.
Youre not old enough obviously.

SOme research has at least two distinct spurts of evolution with Africa as the node.

Genetic maps of our species migrations and "fossil gene" complements have (unless theyre lying) all seemed to confer Africa as the nest for Homo.
I think, that with the new tools available, we will find entirely new linneages of Homo, that ditzed around on the African continent before they busted out . Right now we know of one subgroup that must have doubled back after H-heidelbergensis and H (neaderthalensis and sapiens (a). We have evidence of H sapiens idaltu from the Afar. Chances are we don't know what other H sapiens (b-n) lurk out there in their fossil state.

We had a cultural anthropologist/"Hominim" guy on this board several years ago. He sent me some info of where we stood then (like 2008).
I wish he(or she, I never really made the determination), would have stuck around.

Sorry for being a wise ass on the other thread. Im not really a full-frontal asshole. (least not always)
Ionus

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:20 pm
@farmerman,
I neednt tell a geologist about fossils, but for anyone else, one of the problems is we only have hominid fossils that were found where the parent rock appears on the surface . Has this distorted our view ?
0 Replies

layman

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 11:23 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Quote:
Does anyone not agree with this?

Quote:
In 2000, the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) sequence of "Mungo Man 3" (LM3) of ancient Australia was published indicating that Mungo Man was an extinct subspecies that diverged before the most recent common ancestor of contemporary humans. The results, if correct, supports the multiregional origin of modern humans hypothesis...The multiregional hypothesis, initially proposed by Milford Wolpoff, holds that the evolution of humans from H. erectus at the beginning of the Pleistocene 1.8 million years BP has been within a single, continuous worldwide population. Proponents of multiregional origin reject the assumption of an infertility barrier between ancient Eurasian and African populations of Homo. Multiregional proponents point to the fossil record and genetic evidence in chromosomal DNA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recent_African_origin_of_modern_humans

To answer your question: It would appear, then, that not everybody agrees.
spooky24

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 06:21 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
The discovery and classification of Proto Humans has clouded the issue. Huge gaps in the fossil record, along with a never ending debate, leads to challenges of the out of Africa theory.
Khongcanhoi

Reply Thu 2 Jul, 2015 10:23 pm
@spooky24,
I agree with your comments. But it remains to be proven any more of this.
0 Replies

Professor Gumbus

Reply Wed 8 Jul, 2015 01:19 pm
@farmerman,
Woodstock was written by Joni Mitchell (in lieu of attending that event in 1969).

her original version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3SjqGfe-yM

the more familiar cover of her song, by Crosby Stills Nash & Young:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrWNTqbLFFE

LYRICS;

I came upon a child of God
He was walking along the road
And I asked him, where are you going
And this he told me
I'm going on down to Yasgur's farm
I'm going to join in a rock 'n' roll band
I'm going to camp out on the land
I'm going to try an' get my soul free
We are stardust
We are golden
And we've got to get ourselves
Back to the garden

Then can I walk beside you
I have come here to lose the smog
And I feel to be a cog in something turning
Well maybe it is just the time of year
Or maybe it's the time of man
I don't know who l am
But you know life is for learning
We are stardust
We are golden
Back to the garden

By the time we got to Woodstock
We were half a million strong
And everywhere there was song and celebration
And I dreamed I saw the bombers
Riding shotgun in the sky
And they were turning into butterflies
Above our nation
We are stardust
Billion year old carbon
We are golden
Caught in the devil's bargain
Back to the garden

As to humanity originating in Africa, that's been the prevailing scientific understanding for quite some time.
0 Replies

Student Ally

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:36 pm
@farmerjohn1324,
Human origins did begin in Africa. Due to the discovery of the Nut Cracker man, and Lucy. One of the first few Australopithecus discoveries made, in 1959 & 1974. Scientists believed that our ancestors lived in Asia. Mary Leaky and then later Donald Johanson proved this theory wrong. These million year bones left a mark in history and stunned scientists worldwide.
farmerman

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:40 pm
@Student Ally,
what about Raymond Dart's reporting of the Taung Boy in 1924? That wasnt chopped liver
Student Ally

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:52 pm
@farmerman,
Brain evolution, that's a good point. The slow transition into Homo Habilis.
Ionus

Reply Fri 14 Aug, 2015 09:58 pm
@Student Ally,
Where else in the world are there dry areas where fossils of that era can be found on the surface ? Just by walking around ? Finding fossils in Africa does not disprove other origin theories, but combined with DNA, it does contribute to the "Out of Africa" theory .
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 09:19 am
@farmerjohn1324,
Well, what's now Africa (the discrete continent) isn't where we all came from. We came from the unified single megacontinent Pangea which included what became Africa, but wasn't Africa is the sense of a discrete continent.
farmerman

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2015 02:25 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
pangea broke up about 200 million years ago. The entire classes of mammals were not here yet. placentals didnt appear in the fossil record until after 65 my ago.
Primates, (lemuriads) evolved in Paleocene/ Oligocene time while first apes didnt appear until the Miocene (about 23.5 million years ago at the earliest +//- 24 years come next thursday)
0 Replies

Blickers

Reply Mon 12 Oct, 2015 11:16 pm
@layman,
I'm not sure how finding a skeleton that is not Homo Sapiens in Australia proves the multiregional theory. The multiregional theory says that when Homo Erectus and other pre-Sapiens species left Africa, they developed into modern humans-Homo Sapiens-once they reached Europe, Asia and Australia. The Out-of-Africa Theory says that Homo Sapiens evolved in Africa and then left as fully formed Homo Sapiens in two great waves: 65,000 years ago and 45,000 years ago.

The Out-of-Africa theory does not deny that Homo Erectus and other pre-Sapien species left Africa, or that they continued to evolve once they did. They just never evolved into Homo Sapiens. They did evolve into Neanderthals and Denisovans, and maybe others we haven't discovered yet. But they never evolved into Homo Sapiens, and eventually they died out. Remains of Homo Erectus outside Africa have been dated as late as 50,000 years ago.

Out-of-Africa has been modified somewhat to allow for a small percentage on non-Sapien heritage-like 3%-in many of us. The reason for this is that Neanderthals and Denisovans mated with some Homo Sapiens from way back and since they were close to us, sometimes a baby was produced. 3% heritage is not much.

There are not many multi-regionalists left, but Erik Trinkaus is one, and I don't know if Milford Wolpoff is still around. Also John Hawks of U of Wisconsin seems to lean in that direction.
spooky24

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 09:48 am
@Blickers,
I am not denying anyone opinion however the proto human classification does cloud the issue. Again, so much of this is also clouded by relying on the opinion of others. The evidence of 'tools' leaves quite a bit to be desired in close examination as it's easy to come up with other explanations of how these objects could be found in the same layer as the fossils themselves. I find it hard to forget the Piltdown man or other fakes like Java man, Orce man or the faked DNA results at Yale. Of course 'lucy' now is considered as being made up from 30 different skeletons. Not accusing anyone however huge financial motives can steer away even the most strictest of scientist-it's happened before.
Blickers

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 10:32 am
@spooky24,
Piltdown Man was indeed a fake which was discovered by the scientific community. So far, that is the only one, and it happened a long time ago. Java Man is NOT a fake, Java Man is a Homo Erectus, as is Peking Man. Neither of these ever evolved into Homo Sapiens, however. Homo Erectus seems to have survived up to 50,000 years ago.

Nobody actually knows what the tiny skull fragment from "Orce Man" actually is, nobody ever pronounced it hominid for sure to begin with. But doubt still remains. Hardly a hoax, and conceivably it still could be a hominid, we just don't know at this time.
farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:39 am
@Blickers,
The Crreation "scientists" have been preaching bout the fakery of Java Man. They are all full of meadow muffins.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 2 Mar, 2016 11:40 am
@spooky24,
Quote:
Of course 'lucy' now is considered as being made up from 30 different skeletons.
This is also bullshit . You really have no idea of what you speak.