France's 'Cursed Children' Search for German Roots

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:43 pm
Quote:

France's 'Cursed Children' Search for German Roots

A new book is shedding light on one of the last taboos of World War II in France: During the German occupation that lasted more than four years, many French women gave birth to children fathered by German soldiers.

For years, these liaisons and the children they produced were the source of great shame for many families. The children suffered horribly through no fault of their own. They were treated as pariahs by their communities and often rejected by their own families.

But now, France can't seem to get enough of children of the war. Television and radio shows are featuring men and women whose fathers were German soldiers serving in France during World War II. Their mothers committed what was then called "horizontal collaboration." It's estimated that 200,000 children were born as a result of these love affairs.

All of this comes following the release of a book called "Enfants Maudits," or cursed children by Jean-Paul Picaper, a long-time newspaper correspondent in Berlin and Ludwig Norz, a German working at Germany's wartime archives.

Picaper said he first became interested in the topic in 1995, when he wrote a story in Le Figaro newspaper about the children of American G.I.s in Germany. A Frenchman then wrote to him saying there was a similar phenomenon in France.

"This gentleman wrote to me saying there were plenty of children of the Germans in France from the Second World War and that I should write an article about this," he told Deutsche Welle. "I told him it is not possible to write an article about this, we have to write a book because it is a society phenomenon!"

Picaper teamed with Ludwig Norz at the German archives, who helped him sort through the millions and millions of World War II era documents. The book also includes the personal stories of 15 of these "cursed" children.

Speaking out after 60 years

Now more than 60 years old, they finally speak out -- about their suffering, their shame and in many cases, their desire to know who their father was. Picaper said that meeting them was a very emotional experience.

"They were enthusiastic," he said, adding that many of the people he met felt relieved after talking to him. "I was like an angel coming from the sky for them. It's terrible, when you have something that is very close to their identity, and you can not speak about it. They had to conceal this. It was the first time in their lives where they were able to speak about their own problem and many of them didn't know that there were other people who were in the same situation."

Jeanine Sevestre is 62 years old. She prefers to use her maiden name when she speaks about being one of these cursed children. She lives next to the church in a quiet Normandy village, about 70 kilometers away from where she was born.

Sevestre lives the quiet life of a retiree. Now that her children are grown, her desire to know more about her own family has grown more insistent. Her mother was killed just after D-Day, when the hospital she was working in was bombed. She knows even less about her father.

Doomed Lovebirds

She knows he arrived in the village where her mother lived in July 1940 and that he stayed there until Dec. 1941 or early 1942. "They were seeing each other in the way lovebirds see each others," Sevestre told Deutsche Welle. "And that was until my grandfather learned that my mother was pregnant, after which he sent her away."

All she knows is that her father, whose name was Werner, was then sent to the Eastern front to what was then the Soviet Union. Sevestre suspects he died there. After the war, she was raised as an orphan. At first she was placed with a nanny. From ages six to nine she lived in an orphanage before being taken in by an uncle and then by her maternal grandfather. Her grandfather had participated in World War I and took out his anger at the Germans on the little girl.

"I was beaten, I was insulted," she said. "I didn't know why he treated me in this way. I didn't know why my grandfather was so mean to me when my little cousins who lived in the same house, were well treated, whereas I was always beaten and insulted."

Jeanine didn't even know her father was a German soldier until the age of 13, when one of her classmates broke the news to her. It was a terrible shock, one that left her entirely speechless for about two months.

Searching for her German roots

Now Sevestre has built her own family, with a husband of many decades, four children and four grandchildren. But for her, the mystery of her birth remains an unresolved issue.

She no longer harbors any shame about her background. She expects her father is already dead, but she would very much like to find his relatives - her paternal family. Since Sevestre only has her father's first name -- no family name or rank -- the German archives service hasn't been able to help her. But she's not giving up hope.

As she looks through the few photos she has of her mother and herself as a child, Sevestre takes comfort in the fact she no longer feels alone. Thanks to the book project, she has been in touch with many other children of German soldiers. They often share the same childhood stories of mistreatment and shame. However, there is strength in numbers and they talk of forming an association for children of the war.

Author Geneviève Oger (win)
Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,852 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:53 pm
http://www.expatica.com/photos/rad49171.jpg
The book details the cruelty endured by the 200,000 'bastards' of the occupation

http://www.expatica.com/photos/radD1C6A.jpg
Daniel Rouxel, above with his mother, was called "the Boche" at school

http://www.expatica.com/photos/radD7611.jpg
Rouxel's father Otto Ammon. Young Daniel was publicly humiliated by his local mayor

http://www.expatica.com/photos/rad7BA86.jpg
Jean-Paul Picaper traced the illegitmate children through Wehrmacht archives

Quote:
The sad secret of France's wartime bastards
As France prepares to mark the 60th anniversary of its liberation in World War II, one of the last taboos of the period has been broken with the publication of a book of interviews with so-called "bastards of the Boche". Hugh Schofield reports.

A staggering 200,000 children are estimated to have been born between 1941 and 1945 out of normally secret liaisons between young French women and occupying German troops. Now entering their 60s, this long-neglected generation is finally finding its voice.

The accounts compiled by Jean-Paul Picaper in Enfants maudits - or cursed children - reveal that it was not just the mothers who suffered abuse and humilation at the end of the war, as a tide of anti-German feeling swept away inconvenient memories of collaboration.

While the women who had sought solace by taking German lovers were paraded through the streets with shaven heads - and sometimes imprisoned for offences to "national dignity" - their children also went on to suffer deep and sometimes irreparable psychological trauma.

Daniel Rouxel, who was born in Apil 1943 as a result of an affair between his Breton mother and a young German, remembers being called "the Boche" at school. With his blonde hair and blue eyes, he was a constant affront to his grandmother, who brought him up. She beat him and locked him in the hen coop.

One Sunday the mayor of the village stood him before a crowd after church and said: "What is the difference between a Boche and a swallow? I'll tell you. When the swallow makes its babies in France, it takes them back home with him. But the Boche - he leaves them behind."

Michelle Colin was handed over to an orphanage in Verdun when she was a few weeks old. At the age of four she recalls being made to write over and again in her jotter the words, "I am the daughter of a Boche," and at school she was taunted with the nickname "Boche-head."

Jeanine, born in 1941 near Rouen, was literally struck dumb for several months when she learned of her German father at the age of 13.

"In the street it was sheer terror. To be a child of the occupier was traumatic," she remembers. "In those days people in the village spoke of the cruelties committed by the Germans. Everyone expressed deep hatred towards them. I was afraid of being the daughter of a 'murderer'."

Such was the strength of the taboo that Picaper initially had great difficulty finding any of the 200,000 who would speak of their past.

Advertisements in the press went unanswered.

It was only when he contacted the archives of the Wehrmacht in Berlin that he discovered that they had already been receiving a steady stream of letters from children seeking contact with their long-lost German fathers. He was able to put out feelers, though most of those interviewed do so anonymously.

Unlike in other occupied countries like the Netherlands and Norway, where marriage with "Aryans" was allowed, Wehrmacht officers could ony conduct illicit affairs with French women which were liable to be abruptly broken off if discovered.

But it is clear from the accounts that many of the relationships were heartfelt, and though some mothers did their best to conceal the connection after the war others saw no reason to believe they had done anything wrong.

Picaper says his aim in bringing out the book is to end the conspiracy of silence that has lasted for more than 60 years, preventing members of a hidden minority from discovering each other, sharing experiences, and launching common action to secure inheritance and nationality rights in Germany.

"They really do deserve favoured treatment after all they they have suffered. It would be a last line drawn under the 'century of iron and blood' that was the 20th century," he concludes.

May 2004 © AFP
Source:EXPATICA
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:12 pm
I do not understand how adults can demonstrate patriotism by being cruel to children.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:13 pm
Looks more like nationalism to me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:06 pm
"Nationalism" is a pride in country. "Patriotism" is pride in a country's superiority. The Children of Shame were created more by French citizens than by their German fathers. These citizens lost the war and tarnished the peace for the greater glory of France.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:45 pm
There are also a lot of these 'bastard' children (I do not like the term) in other European countries, like the Netherlands, or Norway. Frida from the band ABBA - to give an example - is also a 'bastard' child (her father was a German soldier). Not so long ago there was a televisionprogramm here in the Netherlands about Project Lebensborn. Really interesting.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:55 pm
In the Netherlands and Norway, marriages (and liaisons) were allowed.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:15 pm
Walter, the children of WAR suffer! All of them, but to have blood relatives who shun children because of that war is worse than the ones who precipitate it. I remember that during the apartheid situation, the light skinned African-Americans were hated just as much as the whites were. It's called fear and a cognitive mapping that defies explanation.

It is important for the people to find out about their roots for more reasons now, than just sentimental ones.
0 Replies