Looking for a horror movie eligible for 13 yr old boy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 10:51 pm
My brother is 13, and he's almost turning 14 in april. He say's he want's to spend a night on vacation to give himself a good scare, so I suggested a horror movie. The thing is, he's not to sure about that idea because apparently he doesn't want to get too scared. I told him a lot of the stuff from the 70's, 80's, and 90's weren't as scary as modern day stuff like ''The Conjuring'' or ''Paranormal Activity''. I want some good horror movie's that aren't huge on the scare factor, but can still give a couple jumps. I need some other people's idea's. Thank You.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 10 • Views: 1,996 • Replies: 11
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 07:11 am
@RollTheBones67,
Huh. There are some older films which are more sci fi in genre and would have scares but maybe not as expected. Is Poltergeist too much?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 06:05 pm
@RollTheBones67,
The effect of a movie might be harder to predict than you might expect.
Some of us are susceptible to visual effects. Some might be affected by the psychological nuances.

I have to tell you I still have disturbing images in my mind from a documentary on Wounded Knee. And it didn't show the gore.

With that in mind, I say it might be prudent to err on the side of less scary. He will find his level in time.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:34 pm
The Goosebumps series is pretty good.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:52 am
@RollTheBones67,
The Goonies - great movie for kids - I wouldn't classify it as horror but for kids it is scary with a monster in it. Might be just enough gruesomeness without blood and such. If you don't want to get scared might be just right.

Buta if you want something geared a little older - try some PG-13 should have the right level of horror without being too strong. I did a quick search for PG-13 horror movies and got this...

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=27280291

I haven't seen those other than Signs and I think that might work - it has some funny parts as well. Another Sixth Sense, I believe is PG-13 - not listed here that I have seen. Some one also mentioned Poltergeist which falls in that rating.

another - not in the horror category but would be good for that age I love is Stand By Me.

If you don't really want true scary - I would suggest Stand By Me or Goonies. If you want scary, but not over the top then somethink like Sixth Sense, Signs or Poltergeist.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 07:11 am
@RollTheBones67,
I want to suggest "Army of Darkness" (why not start out with a classic). Depending on the person,

I think this would be appropriate at almost 14. And it is fun to watch.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2015 12:29 pm
"War of the Worlds" with Tom Cruise. It's science fiction, but scary too, and it has a good ending.
0 Replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 07:25 pm
It's Alive

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/7d/Itsaliveposter.jpg
0 Replies

Michael Lalwani

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2015 01:11 am
@RollTheBones67,
You can watch "Alone"
0 Replies

Toobytherene

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 04:57 am
@RollTheBones67,
"Darkness Falls" I think it starts off involving a 13yr old boy.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:23 am
Gremlins might be an interesting choice, especially if there were 13 year old girls involved.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 28 Jul, 2015 06:39 am
I was about 13 when I saw this, loved it. Not so much now.

0 Replies