maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:06 pm
@coldjoint,
That report seems much more reasonable than the Conservative propaganda indicated. It simply says that there are human rights abuses happening to women under Israeli occupation.

There is nowhere in that report that says that Israel is the worst offender.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:10 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
women under Israeli occupation

Quote:

Do you see what the quote above says? What is the difference? The UN has a hard on for Israel. And you know it.
coldjoint

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:12 pm
From the AP
Quote:
UN commission blames Israel for plight of Palestinian women

http://news.yahoo.com/un-commission-blames-israel-plight-palestinian-women-213232844.html;_ylt=A0LEV7w50wxVl1cABcMlnIlQ
maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:12 pm
@coldjoint,
I think it is you who have a hard on for Israel (or do you not know what a hard on signifies).
coldjoint

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:14 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I think it is you who have a hard on for Israel

The OP was too hard for you to understand? I have nothing but respect for Israel.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 08:15 pm
@coldjoint,
Do you see how the AP headline differs from the conservative propaganda?
NSFW (view)
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:25 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
That report seems much more reasonable than the Conservative propaganda indicated. It simply says that there are human rights abuses happening to women under Israeli occupation.

I believe that what the conservative bloggers are saying is that the UN body released a report criticizing Israel, and did not release any reports criticizing anyone else, despite there being far graver abuses in many parts of the world.

The Conservative bloggers are suggesting that this amounts to saying that Israel is the only offender worthy of having a report issued -- in other words, the worst offender. That does seem to be sound logic.

Coldjoint linked to the report criticizing Israel, so that much has been verified.

Is there a way to verify that this UN body did not criticize anyone other than Israel?
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
In my opinion, some criticisms of Israel have been wrong, and some criticisms of Israel have been valid.
An open mind is helpful.

How many examples can you think of, of criticisms of Israel that were based on the truth?

I can think of only a couple, out of Israel's entire history.
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:32 am
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
The circularity is obvious. If every criticism of Israel is anti-semitism then no criticism of Israel is not anti-semitic.

That "if/then" is pretty important. Yes, IF every criticism of Israel is anti-Semitism, THEN no criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic. That's just a basic fact.
contrex

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 01:52 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
An open mind is helpful.

What are you, some kind of communist?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 03:02 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I believe that what the conservative bloggers are saying is that the UN body released a report criticizing Israel, and did not release any reports criticizing anyone else, despite there being far graver abuses in many parts of the world.

That is not what they are saying at all. Did you read the headlines?

maxdancona

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 03:12 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
How many examples can you think of, of criticisms of Israel that were based on the truth?

I can think of many. Let's start with building more settlements in the West Bank and using economic power over Gaza to punish a civilian population. Then there are indignities against Arab Israeli citizens. There are many more.

maxdancona

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 03:13 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

maxdancona wrote:
The circularity is obvious. If every criticism of Israel is anti-semitism then no criticism of Israel is not anti-semitic.

That "if/then" is pretty important. Yes, IF every criticism of Israel is anti-Semitism, THEN no criticism of Israel is not anti-Semitic. That's just a basic fact.

This is exactly the argument that Feminists make. If every criticism of feminism is misogynist...

I think you understand how this works full well.
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
That is not what they are saying at all.

It looks like it to me.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2015/03/19/top-violator-women-rights-around-world-it-israel-says-un/

"Guess who is the number one violator of women’s rights in the world today? Israel. Violating the rights of Palestinian women.

At least that is the view of the UN’s top women’s rights body, the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW). CSW ends its annual meeting on Friday, March 20 by condemning only one of the 193 UN member states for violating women’s rights – Israel.

Not Syria. Where government forces routinely.....

Not Saudi Arabia. Where women are.....

Not Sudan. Where domestic violence is.....

Not Iran. Where every woman who....."
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 04:01 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
This is exactly the argument that Feminists make. If every criticism of feminism is misogynist...
I think you understand how this works full well.

It's basic logic. If something is true, then it is true.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 04:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I can think of many. Let's start with building more settlements in the West Bank

While it is true that Israel does build settlements in various places, any claim that this is somehow "bad" is likely to be untrue.

maxdancona wrote:
and using economic power over Gaza to punish a civilian population.

That one is definitely untrue. Israel is doing nothing of the sort.

maxdancona wrote:
Then there are indignities against Arab Israeli citizens.

I'm not familiar with the details of that one, so I cannot comment.

maxdancona wrote:
There are many more.

Nearly all of them will turn out to be untrue in some way.
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 05:18 pm
Quote:
Then there are indignities against Arab Israeli citizens.

You mean like letting them vote? Or letting them hold public office?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 04:21 pm

Quote:
Senator Graham even suggested to The Washington Post that UN funding might be on the table should the President attempt to bypass Congress:

Graham hinted at another avenue to stop the president from going to the United Nations in lieu of the Senate. In deliberate fashion he added, ‘As for using the U.N. to avoid coming to the Congress, well that will create a real crisis between Congress and the U.N.’ He notes that the United States pays for 22 percent of the U.N. budget and that the subcommittee he controls oversees State Department funding. Without directly threatening to cut off U.N. funding he says, ‘I am not going to ask American taxpayers to spend money on the U.N. that would [confirm a deal and undercut the Congress].” He added, ‘If the U.N. is used to going around Congress it would create a tremendous backlash.’

I hope Obama pulls his **** and the Congress cuts off funds for a useless organization that has many, many more enemies than friends.

Also paying 22% with filthy rich Arab countries is ridiculous. The time has come to pull our lips off the UNs ass.

http://www.algemeiner.com/2015/03/22/senator-says-obamas-open-hostility-to-netanyahu-is-causing-democrats-to-lose-trust-in-president/
0 Replies