Help, there's a rip in my relationship and it's only getting bigger!

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 05:37 pm
Hello,

I am currently in a yr and a half relationship with a man I love dearly. I don't fall in love ever and he is the first and only one to get into my heart. We have a lot in common and I do love him so much.

But...
He never engages me. He barely asks me any questions. When I tell him about my day or something I am interested in he only gives one word replies. It seems like the only things he tries to talk to me about are funny, joke, potty humour related things. There's no depth. Even if I have nothing to share about my day I do love talking about things that have substance and feeling and opinions behind them.

He is a really loving man. He wants me to be happy and loves me so much. But after have little to none stimulation in the conversation department he wants to kiss and cuddle me. I feel brushed off by his lack of "interest" in me so there's no way I want him touching me. SO in turn I brush him off and then he feels hurt. It's such an awful cycle.

I have brought this up to him twice in the last month, and once before. He said he'd change. And well he does, but only for a little bit. I don't know what to do. I feel so disconnected from him. I feel if I mention it again not only am I criticizing him all over but I'm becoming a nag (he never says these things about me, it's my own personal feelings, he's open when I talk to him). But this is something I need and every day I don't get it I feel less and less interested in him.

What can I do. Please help. I love this man with all my life and I don't want this distance between us; it can ruin us.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 652 • Replies: 6
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:03 pm
Why do you want to stay? Oh, I know you love him and he loves you. Please!

He never engages you, conversation has no depth.
You want to stay with him how long? forever? raise children? Forever can be horribly long.

He has little interest in you, as you, a person with a brain.

What are you doing there. Sex, of course. Can you imagine sex with a man who likes your brain?
Move on.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:57 pm
" There's no depth."

Then what keeps you with him? Sex, Money, Kids?

Feel sorry for him? He's a "project"? You are afraid of being alone?

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:12 pm
@PUNKEY,
I see fear of being alone as a major question. I think I have probably posted on this before. I get the real fear in some cultures.

I surmise that many sign up re sociatal fears.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:20 pm
@bloodycharity,
Sorry, but I have to agree with the others. The two of you have fundamentally different natures. Either of you can agree to change, but I promise it won't last.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 06:24 am
@bloodycharity,
It is so easy for us to tell you to walk away, but difficult to do when you feel so attached. So I'm going to suggest something just a tad different.

You see, I believe people can change. Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe YOU can change him. But I believe he can make a decision to change. I know you wrote that you two have talked about it and that he gets better for a little while, but then he falls back into his old habits again evidently. So the desire to change seems to be there for him, but old habits die hard.

So, why not sit down again with him and discuss it again and maybe suggest that each day or each time you two get together (you did not mention whether you are living together or if not, how often you see each other) you will spend 30 minutes without outside interference (no tv, no phone calls, etc) talking to each other about your day. Or maybe about something one of you read about that day. Or whatever. Heck, (if living together) maybe the two of you can just hit the kitchen and fix dinner TOGETHER and talk while you do so. If you can get him in the habit, daily, of doing something like this, then maybe it will help him to change.

Of course, like Pavlov's dog, you may need to show him how much you appreciate him doing this. (And no, it does not have to mean extra sex or whatever. But it could.) Give him extra hugs. Heck, maybe in the middle of cooking dinner on a night he is being especially conversant, you can decide the kitchen is a bit hot and take off your top. You know, little things like that. (That would work to encourage me at my house, lol)

Anyway, you get the idea. In the long run, if he does not change, you will have to realize that this is just the way he is and decide whether this is something you wish to deal with long term. If not, then walking away will be the best thing for you. Love is fantastic, but Love + Happiness is even better. And we all deserve both.

Good luck.

0 Replies

Brujita

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 06:45 am
@bloodycharity,
Has he always been like this?
If 'yes': why is it only bothering you now?
If 'not' : has something changed/happenned between the two of you?

0 Replies