Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 05:26 pm
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83069744/

Mexican journalist Carmen Aristegui fired by radio station
BY TRACY WILKINSON
March 16, 2015, 8:12 p.m.
(there's a photo of her talking with a Pemex chief executive)

Mexican journalist Carmen Aristegui, shown talking with Pemez Chief Executive in February 2013, has been fired by her radio station.

Carmen Aristegui, the award-winning Mexican journalist behind the exposure of numerous scandals involving the government and other holders of power, has lost her popular daily radio show in a dispute with the station’s owners.

Mexicans who tuned in Monday morning to MVS Radio to hear Aristegui found instead a new host and routine recitation of the news. On the station’s website, Aristegui’s once-prominent photograph was gone.

Station managers posted a statement announcing the “termination” of MVS Radio's work relationship with Aristegui. The statement also was read during the time slot that once belonged to Aristegui.
Aristegui’s often-thorny relationship with the station’s management came to a head last week when managers, without consulting her, fired two key reporters from her investigative staff. The station said the two had, without permission, used the name of MVS in the launching of a new Internet initiative called Mexicoleaks dedicated to the probing of corruption.

Aristegui demanded the reinstatement of the reporters, who, among other stories in their careers, revealed possible conflicts of interest in real estate deals by President Enrique Peña Nieto, his wife and closest aides.

“MVS Radio does not accept Carmen Aristegui’s ultimatum,” the station said.
The loss of one of Mexico’s most critical journalistic voices comes as revelations of corruption and killings by police and the army have roiled the country and plunged Peña Nieto into the worst crisis of his 27-month-old presidency.

Aristegui appeared on the sidewalk outside the radio station Monday morning, declaring that her dismissal was unfair and vowing to fight on. She was joined by several members of her staff, who had said they were barred from going into work.

“Let no one doubt, this is a battle for freedom,” she said earlier.

Also gone from Monday’s program was a weekly panel of news analysis by three highly critical commentators, a much listened-to feature.

Journalists, intellectuals and users of social media -- many of whom never exactly saw eye to eye with Aristegui -- expressed outrage Monday, with some vowing to follow Aristegui to any broadcaster where she might end up. She also has a prime-time talk show on CNN and writes a column in the Reforma newspaper.

“This is as if the Washington Post fired [Bob] Woodward and [Carl] Bernstein in the 1970s,” Sergio Aguayo
a political scientist with the Colegio de Mexico and visiting professor at Harvard, said by telephone from Boston. He was a member of the panel that appeared weekly on Aristegui’s program. Like many, he believes the government pressured MVS to find a way to get rid of Aristegui.

“The government of the republic has respected the critical and professional exercise of journalism and will continue to do so,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement. The dispute between MVS and Aristegui, the ministry said, should be resolved through dialogue.

When Aristegui was briefly fired from MVS in 2012 after repeating unsubstantiated claims that then-President Felipe Calderon had a serious drinking problem, a studio executive acknowledged he had been pressured by Calderon’s staff.

“Carmen Aristegui is an indispensable voice in our public life,” preeminent historian Enrique Krauze said via Twitter. “Her departure from MVS seriously threatens the freedom of expression in Mexico.”

“It is a great pride to be fired by MVS for being part of Carmen Aristegui’s team,” said her former information director, Salvador Camarena.

Even the MVS ombudsman lamented the turn of events. Gabriel Sosa Plata agreed it was improper for the two reporters to use the MVS name without permission, but said firing them was a “disproportionate” response.

“This is a sad [moment] for journalism and the freedom of expression,” he said via his Twitter account after Aristegui was dismissed. “As much as we called for dialogue, obstinacy prevailed.”

fbaezer

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 07:14 pm
I've known Carmen since I was very young, and she was younger still (35 and 25, probably). I appreciate her.

The problem is way more complex than it seems, and there is vital information missing.
I think it was a provocation by Carmen, and MVS fell totally, with a clumsy response. The government reacted late, as usual.
It ended out bad for MVS, Carmen and the government.

A group of reporters from Carmen's team created Mexicoleaks, intended to receive anonymous denounciations of government mischief, and used the MVS logo without permission.
MVS, instead of dealing with the problem internally, went public, and fired the two reporters. First mistake.
These two reporters certainly contributed to the "White House Scandal", but they did not discover it. They are no Bernstein and Woodward, by all means.
In fact the scandal was self-inflicted. The First Lady boasted about her house in a rich people's magazine many months before. The Aristegui group was only one among several who took the piece to big audiences.
They were allegedly dismissed because of Mexicoleaks, but their other work made several analysts suspicious.
Carmen did not try no negotiate, but issued an ultimatum to MVS. Either you reinstall my reporters, or I leave. Second mistake (or second part of the provocation).
MVS not only fired her, but also issued a new set of rules for journalists that were evidently restrictive to Aristegui's style, since she has been very critical of the government (even ocassionally spreading rumors as news).
The clash was inavoidable.

Another thing, MVS has been the biggest loser in Mexico's telecommunications reform. It is even in danger of losing its open TV concession. The owners may think that it is because they host a hyper-critical broadcast (Carmen's).

I think Carmen's dismissal is a loss of plurality in the radio waves. I don't think the government was directly involved in her firing (we are about to have mid-term elections, it would be the dumbest move), but probably MVS owners want to be in good terms with the government and thought that firing their biggest critic would help.

Of course, Mexico is not North Korea, and there is no censorship. But the liasons between media owners and the government -and, in several cases, the dependency on "institutional" ads- do limit journalists, specially in the big media.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 07:25 pm
Cumulatively interesting..

sort of thickets-are-us, a set of words I think of when reading about some quagmires.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 06:28 am
I know nothing of Mexico but this looks rater civilised to me. Similar things have happened in France. In Russia she'd probably be dead. In the US? Not sure she would have been given much air time in the first place.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:20 am
@Olivier5,
She'd have a show at MSNBC.
Olivier5

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 09:27 am
@InfraBlue,
Link to / name of an investigative show there?
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 10:11 am
http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show

Right now what's running on the site is "Louisiana locals fight plan to burn millions of pounds of military waste."
fbaezer

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:04 pm
Carmen Aristegui does have an interview show in CNN Mexico.
0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 12:46 pm
@InfraBlue,
Hmmm... I like the Young Turks better. :-)
Olivier5

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2015 01:00 pm
@Olivier5,
In his last piece, Cenk Uygur suggests that the Obama administration may stop systematically vetoing UN Security Council resolutions that are not favorable for Israel, as a consequence of Bibi admitting he does not want a Palestinian state.

I'll believe that when I see it.

https://www.tytnetwork.com/2015/03/18/reactions-to-netanyahus-reelection-and-israels-future/
oralloy

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 07:26 pm
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
In his last piece, Cenk Uygur suggests that the Obama administration may stop systematically vetoing UN Security Council resolutions that are not favorable for Israel, as a consequence of Bibi admitting he does not want a Palestinian state.

Nothing new. Anti-Semites like him dream of being able to harm Jews.
Olivier5

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 08:00 am
@oralloy,
Hey Usato. So what do you make of Bibi's rejection of any Palestinian state? You've been saying forever that Israel wants a two-state solution, while I argued forever that they didn't, and that they will never leave the west bank... Guess I was right and you were wrong.
oralloy

Reply Sat 21 Mar, 2015 09:40 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
Hey Usato.

It's Meredith Kercher's own fault that she got killed. If she hadn't been whoring around for free drugs, she never would have come across Rudy Guede. She got exactly what she deserved.

Olivier5 wrote:
So what do you make of Bibi's rejection of any Palestinian state?

It seems hard to believe that you haven't already seen my reaction.

Regardless, if you want me to answer a question, starting off with name-calling and a reference to Kercher scum is not the way to go about it.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 05:39 pm
@oralloy,
oralloy wrote:

Olivier5 wrote:
Hey Usato.

It's Meredith Kercher's own fault that she got killed. If she hadn't been whoring around for free drugs, she never would have come across Rudy Guede. She got exactly what she deserved.

Olivier5 wrote:
So what do you make of Bibi's rejection of any Palestinian state?

It seems hard to believe that you haven't already seen my reaction.

Regardless, if you want me to answer a question, starting off with name-calling and a reference to Kercher scum is not the way to go about it.

Wow Oral, I've seen you write some hateful stupid things, but this takes the cake. Your irrational fixation with the Kercher family is an ugly stain on whatever reputation you have left. Get some help.
oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 06:02 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
Wow Oral, I've seen you write some hateful stupid things, but this takes the cake.

All of my facts are in order. Kercher was prostituting herself in order to get free drugs, and that is what brought her into contact with the guy who cut her throat and then raped her. If Kercher would have put some thought into going to school to learn instead of focusing only on prostitution and drugs, she'd still be alive today.

glitterbag wrote:
Your irrational fixation with the Kercher family is an ugly stain on whatever reputation you have left.

Hardly irrational for ethical people to condemn people like the Kerchers when they take advantage of their daughter's death by trying to get innocent people sent to prison so they can steal their money. What the Kerchers are doing is pretty monstrous.

My reputation is just fine, thank you.

glitterbag wrote:
Get some help.

I do not require any aid at this time.

I will not hesitate to request assistance from a competent source if I ever need assistance with anything however.
glitterbag

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 09:19 pm
@oralloy,
You've been obsessed with this case for as long as I can remember. I've not followed it like you have, but as an ethical human being I denounce murder. Frankly, the fact that you think it's ok to murder young women for any reason is stultifying. You don't know any of the people involved in that tragic event. You picked a newspaper sweetheart and have gone off the deep end. I'm sad for you that you can hate a murdered girl you don't know with such deep ugly feelings.

Just so you know, I'm not going to continue with this sidebar on the whole Italian thing. You are going back on ignore.
oralloy

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2015 10:05 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
You've been obsessed with this case for as long as I can remember.

I'm not the one here who focuses solely on Amanda and never gives a thought to poor Raffaele. No obsession on my end.

glitterbag wrote:
I've not followed it like you have, but as an ethical human being I denounce murder.

An ethical human being would denounce deliberate attempts to send innocent people to prison for profit.

glitterbag wrote:
You picked a newspaper sweetheart

It's always a bit strange when people who focus solely on Amanda and ignore poor Raffaele, then turn around and falsely accuse the rest of us of their own obsession.

glitterbag wrote:
I'm sad for you that you can hate a murdered girl you don't know with such deep ugly feelings.

Just because I acknowledge the fact that is it Kercher's own fault that she got killed, that doesn't mean I hate her.

However, I do object to her vile family and the way they keep trying to get innocent people sent to prison so they can steal their money.

glitterbag wrote:
Just so you know, I'm not going to continue with this sidebar on the whole Italian thing.

Well, you certainly felt the need to bring the subject up.

It'll be an active topic in a few days regardless.
glitterbag

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:12 am
@oralloy,
One last thing, why hijack a story in Mexico instead of starting you're own off topic obsession. Bye
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 02:19 am
@glitterbag,
Oralboy never misses an opportunity to show he's pure filth. This has everything he's into, rape, kidnap, murder, torture, victim blaming, the only thing missing is guns.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2015 03:29 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
One last thing, why hijack a story in Mexico

You tell me. I'm answering your posts here because this is where you are addressing me.

I'd actually considered asking if you'd like to move the discussion to the actual Amanda Knox thread, but experience has proven that offers to move to a proper thread are futile, so I rarely bother anymore.

glitterbag wrote:
instead of starting you're own off topic obsession.

We've already established which of us is obsessed. I'm not the one who focuses solely on Amanda and never bothers to think about poor Raffaele.

glitterbag wrote:
Bye

Until the next time you choose to take this topic up with me.
0 Replies