TV problem

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:53 pm
@farmerman,
It sounds as though you're talking about an Opto-isolator. This would be an appropriate usage for one:

Here's a link to what they are and what they do: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:29 pm
@Ragman,
Sounds like something made by the DALLEKs. Do the opto-isolators act as some kind of ballast or are they just a LED with a melt wire?
Ragman

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 05:53 am
@farmerman,
By way of an explanation, here's an excerpt from the article:

"[url]In electronics, an opto-isolator, also called an optocoupler, photocoupler, or optical isolator, is a component that transfers electrical signals between two isolated circuits by using light.[1] Opto-isolators prevent high voltages from affecting the system receiving the signal.[2] Commercially available opto-isolators withstand input-to-output voltages up to 10 kV[3] and voltage transients with speeds up to 10 kV/μs.[4]

A common type of opto-isolator consists of an LED and a phototransistor in the same opaque package. Other types of source-sensor combinations include LED-photodiode, LED-LASCR, and lamp-photoresistor pairs. Usually opto-isolators transfer digital (on-off) signals, but some techniques allow them to be used with analog signals.[/url]"
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2015 04:31 am
I am not smart enough to do all that, ragman. I yesterday discovered that the fuse is good. Then I set the TV out with the trash.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2015 06:12 pm
My old TV is just as big as the one I discarded. It has a fine picture. I see no cause to go out and buy another flatscreen piece of crap. The speakers were tiny. No wonder I had so much trouble understanding dialog. Good riddance.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:14 am
@edgarblythe,
that is one problem with all the flatscreens. It forced me to buy these Hammacher and SChlemmer "sound bars" (especially since we like to watch these Brit crime dramas like the old Helen Mirren series "Prime Suspect").
Nobody can understand what the hell those Brits were saying without some form of electronic enhancement.

So you threw the tv out in the trash??

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2015 04:26 am
@farmerman,
Yep. I figure if it breaks down once it will do it again.
0 Replies