TV problem

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 08:31 pm
My Magnavox flatscreen TV she's a muerta, it seems. I came home and turned it on, was just getting interested in a program, when the sprigging junk quit on me. I know it gets electric, because the red light that signifies "off" still burns. Anybody know if it is likely to be a fuse or something more dire?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,727 • Replies: 26
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 11:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
Ive had that happen to me once or twice (We live in a rural aea that has experienced low voltage in the past. In both cases, I unplugged the whole tv circuits from cable to the wall, waited about 10 minutes as the whole system "rebooted". Then turned it back on and all was ok. Not saying this is your problem but lts a start with the simplest possibilities.
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:46 am
@farmerman,
I preferred the old TVs where you could shake it about and then do what every grown up man has done to fix it, namely bang it hard on the top, wait five seconds and then bang it hard twice (with the flat of the hand) on the side.

It nearly always went funny when The Lone Ranger was on. Or Robin Hood.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:27 am
@Lordyaswas,
Our anti bullying laws extend to include home appliances as potential victims.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:35 am
I will try your solution first, farmerman. I know the vacuum tubes don't need replacing. Will do that after I get back from work.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:46 am
@edgarblythe,
Also, first check the house breaker for the line that includes the tv. (don't laugh, our neighbor had that happen too and the cable tv guy charged him for the service call )
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:09 am
@farmerman,
I have been running a TV taken out of the bedroom in that same outlet. Oddly, it gets a few channels the other one was not getting. {We use air)
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 06:59 am
@edgarblythe,
Don't try fixing it whilst either Robin or the Lone Ranger are on, edgar. Just in case.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:12 am
@edgarblythe,
Quote:
I know it gets electric, because the red light that signifies "off" still burns

To my knowledge this indicates power is coming in from the line. With many sets there is a small fuse and/or a relay that could be the culprit. If you don't have the Magnavox manual, you might be able to download it by Googling for it.

Have you had power outages or a brown-out locally? When power dips, sags or is interrupted, when it comes back on it can take out a component...often in the power supply.

BTW, apparently you're not alone with this particular problem. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/home_electronics/magnavox-tv.html
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:08 am
@Ragman,
CLASS ACTION!!!> CAll JOE
chai2

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 08:38 am
@farmerman,
You mean Call Saul.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:29 am
@chai2,
Saul!, now theres a lawyah. He does not let things like truth or ethics stand in the way of winning a case.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 10:13 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
you could shake it about and then …... bang it hard
Always, Lordy, my own first approach. It it doesn't work hit it at a different spot, or just a bit harder
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 10:25 am
@edgarblythe,
Mr. B replaced the fuse on our TV when it suddenly stopped working and it's worked fine ever since.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 11:52 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

I preferred the old TVs

Me too.

http://static.flickr.com/115/312067820_db5cd4f90b_b.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 11:54 am
It failed to reboot. For me, the fuse seems a logical next step. Not today. I just got in and ahm tard.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:27 pm
@edgarblythe,
oh well. I got nothing else.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
Fuse is an easy trouble shoot. Jump around it and if everything works, it's solved. Otherwise, keep the jump wire in place and watch for smoke. I found a bad transformer that way, but it cost more than the set was worth.

Just kidding about seeing what smokes.
farmerman

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:43 pm
@roger,
I have an LG tv and , from what my manual says, the "fuse" is actually a little red light which has a really tight ops voltage
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:58 pm
@farmerman,
Something like a microwave, I jump in there and replace the fuse, no problem. I've never been in one of these things, so I will proceed with caution.
0 Replies