SINGY BOYS

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 10:34 am
I posted about Roy earlier in the therad, but i can't and don't try to control people's contributions. I would prefer, though that only one or two songs be posted for each artist. Once again, i can't control what people post, and don't intend to try.
Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 11:28 am
Little Richard (Richard Penniman) has been a power in the music business for about the last 60 years. These two songs were a part of some goofy motion picture entitled Don't Knock the Rock:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 11:38 am
Sugar Chile Robinson (Frank Isaac Robinson) taught himself to play the piano at the age of two, to accompany himself while singing the blues. In 1941, aged three, he won a talent contest in Detroit. He began appearing on stage and on the radio, but could not tour because of child labor laws. He appeared at the White House in 1946, shouting out to Truman "How am i doing, Mr. President?" Here is an excerpt from a filmed appearance with Count Basie.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 11:40 am
I love some of his songs so much, couldn't decide which to put here.
Slim Harpo
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 12:01 pm
@Setanta,
thanks. I understand.

In the case that I intended, I thought originally it was a single song...and it was going to play only the one song. However, much to my pleasure, once I discovered there was a queue...a playlist ...I figured the option is up the individual whether or not to play more.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 01:21 pm
Ivory Joe Hunter
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 18 Apr, 2015 01:24 pm
Another Ivory Joe Hunter song
Pat Boone
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:03 am
@Ragman,
No problem, Buddy. I have no objection to two or three songs by the same artist, although i would prefer that later in the thread when new contributions are waning.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:03 pm
Jack Scott was never a big star, but he got some air play with several songs.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 19 Apr, 2015 01:06 pm
Some will be repulsed by this addition, but Tuli Kupferburg's song, Morning Morning, is a good song. It was covered by Richie Havens.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:21 pm
Hank Locklin
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2015 07:28 pm
John Denver
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:02 am
I'm going to post a couple from this gentleman. The first became a big hit when it was covered by Janis Joplin (so many others have covered it since, including Kris in some interesting duets).

This was a hit for him two years later, in 1972:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:07 am
This gentleman was a good friend of Kris . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 07:11 am
The group Pink Martini. in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S., is best known for its female singers. Here is one of there best songs, though, with Pepe Raphael singing (the title means "solitude" in English):

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 03:40 pm
Favourite Earth Day song

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:54 pm
Terry Stafford sings this song the way I would have expected Elvis to do it. But Elvis did a terrible job.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 21 Apr, 2015 05:57 pm
Andy Williams
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 12:38 am
HEY, THIS IS FOR RAGMAN:

I keep forgetting to post this: If you are into Roy, go to Youtube and type "A Black and White Night" into the search window. It's Roy, backed up by Elvis' old backup band, and some friends who dropped by--Bruce Springsteen, Elvis Costello, Tom Waits, Jackson Browne; and his female backup vocalists: Bonny Raitt, Jennifer Warnes and k. d. lang. I think you'll enjoy it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 22 Apr, 2015 03:42 am
I have avoided opera in this thread so far (although we did have a song by Bryn Terfel, who has been very successful in opera). This man arguably was the greatest male singer of this age. He worked tirelessly, and rather modestly at his craft until the age of 35, when he performed La fille du régiment ("The Daughter of the Regiment") at the New York Metropolitan Opera. It is rarely performed, because it requires the tenor to hit high C nine times. Not only did Luciano hit the note every time, he made it look effortless. He got 17 curtain calls, a record at the Met. Here he performs his signature song, thirty years later, in Central Park in New York:

0 Replies