What good does religion offer the world today?

reasoning logic

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 11:22 am
Allen Watts

0 Replies

izzythepush

Tue 3 Jan, 2017 01:36 pm
@farmerman,
I can believe that.

http://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img/dynamic/1/285x214/31097_1.jpg
0 Replies

Olivier5

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 06:40 am
Religious people still create things that are of value, such as works of art or the occasional scientific theory. E.g. Georges Lemaître's expanding universe and big bang theory.

Quote:
Georges Henri Joseph Édouard Lemaître (French: [ʒɔʁʒə ləmɛtʁ]; 17 July 1894 – 20 June 1966) was a Belgian priest, astronomer and professor of physics at the Catholic University of Leuven.[1] He proposed the theory of the expansion of the universe, widely misattributed to Edwin Hubble.[2][3] He was the first to derive what is now known as Hubble's law and made the first estimation of what is now called the Hubble constant, which he published in 1927, two years before Hubble's article.[4][5][6][7] Lemaître also proposed what became known as the Big Bang theory of the origin of the universe, which he called his "hypothesis of the primeval atom" or the "Cosmic Egg".[8]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georges_Lema%C3%AEtre

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/52/Lemaitre.jpg/220px-Lemaitre.jpg
Leadfoot

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 09:48 am
@Olivier5,
Thank you
Olivier5

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 03:39 pm
@Leadfoot,
You're welcome.
0 Replies

peacecrusader888

Fri 6 Jan, 2017 06:45 pm
I believe that the word of the true God is the Holy Bible. These are some of the reasons:
1. Who can know the genealogy of Jesus Christ up to Adam (Luke 3)? Only God. Usually, a person may know his genealogy up to six generations, but from Jesus to Adam is 42 generations!
2. The spirit of Ama recommends that we read King James Version (KJV) of the Holy Bible because it is "nearer the truth" (than other versions). He also recommends that we read "Awit at Salaysay ng Pasiong Mahal ni Hesukristong Panginoon Natin" (Song and Narration of the Holy Passion of our LORD Jesus Christ) or "Pasiong Mahal" or "Pasyon", a book that is chanted in the Philippines during Holy Week. That means that there are flaws even in the KJV. We just select those that we believe to be true and discard any evil. I use the red-letter edition. If it is said by Jesus Christ, most likely those are His words. If it is in black, you may or may not accept it.
TheCobbler

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 12:04 am
Plants With Eyes
https://www.facebook.com/1917126565230106/videos/2021115468164548/
Leadfoot

Sat 7 Jan, 2017 07:39 am
@TheCobbler,
Funny, people will believe that but laugh at the belief in God.
TheCobbler

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 06:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
Plants have eyes because over billions of years they developed them to harvest the sun's rays.

What is your rationale for the existence of God?

It is not that we "believe" plants have eyes, when you dissect a plant like these, you find the same photo cells that are in human eyes.

With religion there is no God to dissect, just imaginary platitudes and lack of evidentiary analysis.

A camera works the exact same way and no faith is required to push the button and take a picture.

https://scontent-ord1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p480x480/15965914_10210101064636324_96643043311949220_n.jpg?oh=79b460e4a85050f5a25bba8497d8291e&oe=58DD1F16
Leadfoot

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:01 pm
@TheCobbler,
Just want to see if we're on the same page here.

You mean eyes like in the link you posted?
Krumple

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:04 pm
@peacecrusader888,
peacecrusader888 wrote:

I believe that the word of the true God is the Holy Bible. These are some of the reasons:
1. Who can know the genealogy of Jesus Christ up to Adam (Luke 3)? Only God. Usually, a person may know his genealogy up to six generations, but from Jesus to Adam is 42 generations!

Oh thanks for the laugh. This is so comical. You honestly don't think the list could be made up?

Let's see there was Anakin Skywalker, who begot Luke Skywalker, who begot Rey...

Anakin was immaculately conceived. Theres divinity for you.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:07 pm
@Leadfoot,
Yes, humans got our eyes from plants, plants are the evolutionary benefactors of our ability to see... When plants crossed the evolutionary gap to become animals they brought along the eyes they evolved.
cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 07:31 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Were Adam and Eve the first humans? - Religious tolerance
www.religioustolerance.org/pers01.htm

Were Adam and Eve the first humans? ... It wasn't until after creating all the animals for Adam to see and name that God created Eve.

What ever happened to evolution? Adam named all the animals? All the bugs, the creatures under the sea that were discovered within the last 100 years, and those animals that didn't exist in their location?

He named "penguins?" Did he name any of the dinosaurs?
Krumple

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:05 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Quote:
Were Adam and Eve the first humans? - Religious tolerance
www.religioustolerance.org/pers01.htm

Were Adam and Eve the first humans? ... It wasn't until after creating all the animals for Adam to see and name that God created Eve.

What ever happened to evolution? Adam named all the animals? All the bugs, the creatures under the sea that were discovered within the last 100 years, and those animals that didn't exist in their location?

He named "penguins?" Did he name any of the dinosaurs?

Quit being silly of course he named them all even the deep sea crap that lives four miles under the ocean surface that if you bring it to the surface it dies because it has adapted to live in those extreme pressures. Adam named the polar bear too but why he called it that is still a mystery.
cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:07 pm
@Krumple,
Kay. Whatever you say.
Krumple

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Kay. Whatever you say.

Adam even named all the creatures we will eventually discover on other planets a few thousand years from now.

Cicerone your sarcasm meter needs recalibrating.
cicerone imposter

Sun 15 Jan, 2017 08:13 pm
@Krumple,
'Kay
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:31 am
I used to be an ardent believer in the Bible 'til one day I woke up and realized it was full of too many contradictions to take that seriously.

I, like many scientists, searched its pages for some sort of code or matrix to unlock its hidden mysteries.

I am not sure why I though it would contain secrets but it seems naturally like the place to look for them.

I was certain the code for understanding the Bible would be the periodic table of elements. I racked my brains searching for some link.

I am not sure why I thought this, even though metallurgy and precious stones are quite a field of study in the Bible.

Every time I tired to lay the periodic table over the Bible I came up with zero clues. Nothing seem to indicate that the ancients knew much about the very rarest elements let alone some of the most common.

Then one day I figure it out.

The matrix was not the periotic table of element it was "the human body". (in god's image)

The human body is the key to understanding the scriptures.

Mainly the heart and mind. "the eyes of your understanding being enlightened"

Does our understanding have eyes?

"With the heart we believe unto righteousness."

"Let this mind be in you"

"the inner person"

I have found a lot of truth in the Bible along with a lot of egregious error. Errors so egregious that they render the book fraudulent...

But the human body is the elusive code to understanding the inner workings of the book, of that I have become certain. rr

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/11/Uomo_Vitruviano.jpg

cicerone imposter

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:42 am
@TheCobbler,
Pretty good conclusion. All my siblings are christians, but I'm an atheist because I also saw too many contradictions as a young teen that made any message worthless. Science later reinforced my beliefs that the Bible had too many errors and contradictions.
I saw recently a statement about Noah's ark. How did he collect the penguins into his ark? How about all the dinosaurs.
They're still christians.
TheCobbler

Mon 16 Jan, 2017 10:48 am
@cicerone imposter,
United Airlines has been searching for heaven in the clouds for years and still no sight of it. Smile
0 Replies