What good does religion offer the world today?

cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:14 pm
@Glennn,
One can never know when they hear voices in their head to kill people in crowded places.
Glennn

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:17 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yup. Or in the case of Moses, a voice telling him to kill crowds of people, including children and pregnant women and their unborn children.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:28 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
I've put in the time and experience that would qualify as being bothered to find out if the god exists.
Well don't leave us hanging, what's your verdict?

Quote:
Even if I had found that such a being exists, there is no reason for me to love it more than I would love a wife and children.
Cant speak for your experience but the God I got to know gave me reason.
Quote:
Nor would I love or worship a being that would command me to put it first among all things. Such a command could only come from an ego, and only an ego would accept such a mandate.
I'm guessing your wife like most, insists that you love her above all other women. If so, you do take that command from her and in doing so, you place her above God. Your perogative.

Quote:
If the alleged god asked you to kill your son in order for you to prove that you are putting it first, you wouldn't do it. So regardless of what you say, your love for such a being does not come first. And before you claim that the god would never ask such a thing of you, I would remind you that there is a precedent for such behavior on the part of the alleged god.
If you are going to rely on that precedent then there is the proof that you are wrong about at least some men. The man in that precedent was willing. I can't say for myself because I haven't been asked that.
cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:31 pm
@Leadfoot,
You mean a man loving his wife is equivalent to loving god, and god is more important? An invisible god at that! LOL
OR, do you think all the art works of god are accurate?
farmerman

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:33 pm
@Leadfoot,
test away. Lemme know how that works out.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If you mean love of wife and love of God are both examples of love then yeah.
But yes, love of God is more important. If you find that funny, it's no surprise.

0 Replies

Glennn

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:46 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Well don't leave us hanging, what's your verdict?

This didn't give you a clue as to my verdict: "Even if I had found that such a being exists . . ."
Quote:
I'm guessing your wife like most, insists that you love her above all other women. If so, you do take that command from her and in doing so, you place her above God.

She has no need to insist that I love her above anyone or anything. We both understand that love is what you make it. I'm guessing that your wives lacked the maturity and security necessary to keep from commanding you to see them as the best.
Quote:
If you are going to rely on that precedent then there is the proof that you are wrong about at least some men.

Not talking about some men. I'm talking about you.
Quote:
The man in that precedent was willing. I can't say for myself because I haven't been asked that.

If you don't know whether or not you are willing to show the god that you have come to the place where you would put it first in any scenario, then you have not come to that place. So, what is causing you to stumble when it comes to that?

Leadfoot

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 04:55 pm
@Glennn,
Quote:
So, what is causing you to stumble when it comes to that?
Who said that I did? FWIW, I gave up more than a son in order to keep my priorities straight.
Glennn

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Who said that I did?

You did. You said: "I can't say for myself because I haven't been asked that."

That's why I asked what is causing you to stumble when it comes to forsaking your son and forfeiting his life if called upon to kill him to prove your love for the god. My point is that if you can't say whether or not you would do it, then your professed love for the god is questionable--incomplete.
Leadfoot

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:15 pm
@Glennn,
I said I haven't been asked that because I couldn't. I don't have a son.
But I made it clear that the principle did not make me stumble because I was willing to give up something at least equally difficult as a son.

Your 'gotcha' games are boring.
cicerone imposter

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:24 pm
@Leadfoot,
OK, how about your sibling or parents?
Leadfoot

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 05:47 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Yeah, I'd mow them all down in a heartbeat.

Theses gotcha games are boring guys.
0 Replies

Glennn

Sat 25 Jun, 2016 06:26 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Your 'gotcha' games are boring.

No game. You are simply choosing to perceive valid challenges to your statements as gotcha games. If you feel that you've been gotten, I'm afraid I had nothing to do with that feeling.

And when did these alleged gotcha games become boring? You are like the man who complains that a sandwich made by another man tastes bad; especially the last bite.
Quote:
I said I haven't been asked that because I couldn't. I don't have a son.

No, you said: "The man in that precedent was willing. I can't say for myself because I haven't been asked that."

You did not say that you don't have a son. Please don't interpret this as me saying gotcha.
Leadfoot

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:04 am
@Glennn,
Quote:
Leadfoot Quote:
"I said I haven't been asked that because I couldn't. I don't have a son."

No, you said: "The man in that precedent was willing. I can't say for myself because I haven't been asked that."

You did not say that you don't have a son. Please don't interpret this as me saying gotcha.
Now you are quibbling about your interpretation of what I said and what I meant. Can you allow that I probably know that best?

I went on to say that I was willing (and did) give up at least as much as a son and IMHO, more. You are free to believe that clear statement or not.
Glennn

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:13 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Now you are quibbling about your interpretation of what I said.

There was no quibbling on my part concerning an interpretation of what you said; or more to the point, what you didn't say. No interpretation was necessary. You did not say that you didn't have a son. You only stated that you hadn't been asked to kill your son. You believe that that statement makes clear that you don't have a son; it doesn't.
Leadfoot

Sun 26 Jun, 2016 09:54 am
@Glennn,
Fine, you were uncertain that I didn't have a son, - my bad.

But the issue at hand was whether I was willing to give up something equal or more in order to maintain the priority of God in my life. I made it clear that I did.
TheCobbler

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 05:53 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13516170_10210097504823721_2309971887230854182_n.jpg?oh=a1361a39938ac600287b829c3e51e523&oe=580FE399
0 Replies

Glennn

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 06:29 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
But the issue at hand was whether I was willing to give up something equal or more in order to maintain the priority of God in my life. I made it clear that I did.

No, the issue was whether or not you would kill your son if called upon by the god to do so.

And you did not make it clear that you had given up something equal to a son in order to keep the god in the number-one position in your life. First of all, you do not have a son, so how could you possibly know that what you gave up was more than a son? Second of all, since you did not say what it was that you gave up, it can hardly be said that you made it clear.
TheCobbler

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 06:55 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/13529078_1119550304767780_2885889744300400563_n.jpg?oh=32abe893f8141247d4c0a8f8260954ff&oe=58019C6B
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Mon 27 Jun, 2016 09:08 am
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/s526x395/13529243_10154373724484679_6053012533012039861_n.jpg?oh=550b8d2e879165c55d797958c6fc16b6&oe=57ED1ACC

Trade in your evangelical TV for a look at the night sky, best graphics ever! Smile
0 Replies