What good does religion offer the world today?

TheCobbler

Tue 2 Feb, 2016 03:37 pm
Christianity is False and Immoral. (Christopher Hitchens)
Leadfoot

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 12:56 pm
@TheCobbler,
There are rational arguments why almost all of Hitchins' points are off the mark. But one that he is absolutely right about and one that does NOT have any rational defense for is the concept of 'unconditional love' (of God or anything else).

The trouble is, there is no biblical case or demand for unconditional love and it has no rational place in Christianity (or any other religion).
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 3 Feb, 2016 12:59 pm
I disagree on this and I am for all practical purposes an atheist...
I rather have "old players" in the field then new arising mass control powers emerging out of collective cultural needs...at least some of these old powers, these religions, have the merit of trying to bring some moral campus to people that otherwise would be invading wall mart on black Fridays...
0 Replies

Harry Blake

Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:12 pm
@TheCobbler,
asked- "What good does religion offer the world today?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Only ONE religion has the Son of God in it, so nonchristian religions offer absolutely nothing, they're dead ends..Smile
Just look around at true Christians, they're cool, calm, goodnatured, fearless because God's power is downloading into them like it promises on the box-
"Our gospel came to you not simply with words but also with power" (1 Thess 1:5)
"I am full of power, judgement and might by the spirit of the Lord" (Micah 3:8)
"The weapons we fight with are not the weapons of the world. On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds" (2 Cor 10:4)
"Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power" (Ephesians 6:10)
"After Jesus spent the night in prayer,everybody tried to touch him because power was coming from him" (Luke 6:12-19)
Jesus said - "Someone touched me, I know that power has gone out from me." (Luke 8:46)

And we too can "touch" or "log on" to Jesus to get a power download simply by mumbling a little prayer to him now and again..Smile

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 10:51 am
@Harry Blake,
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 6 Feb, 2016 11:45 am
@Harry Blake,
Got a better one for ya !
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 04:02 pm
@Harry Blake,
The Jesus myth is a counterfeit story of an Egyptian story written over a thousand years before Jesus' supposed existence.

‘Son of God’ Controversy: Was Jesus developed from Egyptian Osiris-Isis-Horus myth?
http://considerthegospel.org/blog/2014/03/04/son-of-god-controversy-was-jesus-developed-from-egyptian-osiris-isis-horus-myth/

Excerpt
Horus was baptized in the River Eridanus (Jordan) by a god figure named Anup the Baptizer (John the Baptist) who was later decaptitated
Like Jesus, Horus had no history between the ages of 12 and 30
Horus walked on water, cast out demons, and healed the sick
Horus was transfigured on a mountain; Jesus took Peter, James and John ….
Horus delivered a ‘Sermon on the Mount” and his followers faithfully recounted the sayings of Iusa
Horus was crucified between 2 thieves, buried in a tomb, and resurrected. His personal epithet was Iusa or Iusu, the “ever-becoming son” of Ptah or the Father. Significantly Horus was called the KRST or “Anointed One’ from a word that was inscribed or painted on the lid of a mummy’s coffin millennia before Christianity duplicated the story
Horus was the Good Shepherd, the lamb of God, the bread of life, the son of man, the Word, and the fisher
Horus was not just the path to heaven but the way by which the dead travel out of the sepulchre. He was the god whose name was written as the “road to salvation” He was thus the “way, the truth, the life”.

Comment:
Don't be fooled by a clever Christian plagiarism of ancient Egyptian history...

There is truly "NOTHING NEW UNDER THE SUN..."
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 04:59 pm
@TheCobbler,
Vaguely remember hearing this story before - many decades ago. Are you jesus? LOL
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 10:44 am
If the Institution of Religion is not yet extinct it must be necessary still. That much good is guaranteed for now. If it really it will ever become obsolete we will know when the time comes. Football is getting extinct by the Internet as kiddos don't get out as much as they did...religion well...I rather imagine we will have new fashion God's like, the "Cloud thinking" and the "Internet Almighty" then believe Religion it is anywhere close to extinction ATM.
cicerone imposter

Sat 13 Feb, 2016 11:47 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
I don't think religion will ever become extinct, because humans have a need for a superior something to believe in.
Leadfoot

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 05:26 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I don't think religion will ever become extinct, because humans have a need for a superior something to believe in
I think Fil just revealed his. Imagine that - a God that you kick around with your mates.

How Freudian...
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 05:30 am
@Leadfoot,
I do the Internet but I never did or like Football. It exists and I have to put up with it. If you want a blunt revelation of my little "god" I give you maths and information for answer. Its not much I know but its honest and all I got.
Leadfoot

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 05:51 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
If you want a blunt revelation of my little "god" I give you maths and information for answer. Its not much I know but its honest and all I got.
OK, I'll take your word that it wasn't a Freudian slip, but Football is absolutely a God to many. They have more devotion to it than any fundamentalist I've ever run into.

Should have asked you this in the 'ID' thread. What do you think is the origin of your 'information'? I've only seen one source for that.

Fil Albuquerque

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 06:13 am
@Leadfoot,
Oh I think its eternal uncreated and unchangeable like a 4D frozen movie. Order is the WORD made thing made world...For instance I don't believe in true motion/movement. I think those are a trick of perception. This is why I call it my little "God"...it shares many of the attributes... In my lingo Reason precedes reasoners. Reason is the ratio, the order of things as they truly are immutable in existence. There is no nothingness for alternative, nothingness is self refuting. There is only BEING. My "God" doesn't think or speak, rather it is the JUSTIFICATION, the support, for thinking and reasoning going on. Reasoning is searching, looking for answers...behaviour of incomplete beings....God is complete it doesn't need to ask or answer anything. it is timeless and dead as a rock. but above all it is TRUTH.
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 08:08 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 08:33 am
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 09:16 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:

For instance I don't believe in true motion/movement. I think those are a trick of perception
That's been the starting position of a number of philosophers. The one that strikes me as getting that right was an atheist. Ayn Rand's starting point was that you can trust the evidence of your 5 senses.

They don't begin to explain everything but it has been a reliable place to start.
Fil Albuquerque

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 09:19 am
@Leadfoot,
I don't deny the illusion nor its interest. Our five senses fit somwhere in the puzzle. They just dont fit final account of reality. Time is the big trickster.
Leadfoot

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 10:14 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Time is the big trickster.
It is that, but I've never understood why the A to B distance paradox in the first video you posted is a paradox. Why look at it that way? Why not just say it takes x amount of time to cover half the distance and another x to cover the remaining distance to B.

Fil Albuquerque

Sun 14 Feb, 2016 10:21 am
@Leadfoot,
Because if space is infinitely divisible you will never get there. Worse, you need infinite energy to do so and magic to jump the mechanical connecting gap. Infinity must be an illusion based on the idea that keep counting makes sense. Of course those of us who don't believe in motion and time as first order reality to start with just do away with infinity. We speak of loops like rings where beginning and end meet each other without TRUE infinity.
You can go around the ring all you want forever...it is FINITE !
When no new information is added to a repeating sequence of information, it not stopping is meaningless, in regards to infinity. Note please that the attributes of TRUTH itself go together with this idea. Truth cannot change in anyway. It cannot move.Whatever it is, it IS.