What good does religion offer the world today?

Miller

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 12:06 pm
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:

Anti LGBT ... are wrong and there will be grace and mercy only for those who deny those homophobic, anti LGBT standards.

Grace and mercy? Are you a religious nut, or just a plain, old nut?
0 Replies

coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 02:14 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
Anti LGBT standards are wrong and there will be grace and mercy only for those who deny those homophobic, anti LGBT standards. Those who obey those homophobic anti LGBT standards will themselves in return be judged and scrutinized by those harsh and heartless standards.

Pick up a Bible or Koran. You will see that you are wrong. At least about the supreme beings in those books and the way you will be judged. Welcome to Hell.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 02:21 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
who still thinks like that in the real world?

Probably idiots who think you can pray the gay away.

http://www.themedwire.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/get-over-it.jpg

I would never encourage any of my children to be black, that's why they're both white.
coldjoint

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 02:24 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
Probably idiots who think you can pray the gay away.

Talk to your Muslims friends, they have other ideas.
0 Replies

neologist

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 03:57 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
. . .you think people can be encouraged to be lgbtq? or discouraged from being lgbtq?

that's a bit old wtf

who still thinks like that in the real world?
Not so far fetched. When I was a young teen, I had same sex attractions. (Hetero feelings as well) That was 60 years ago. I was scared s#/^less that I might be gay. I was afraid to be outed. Nowadays, 'enlightened' counselors would advise me that I should just go with it - it's just like being left handed. It took a few years and some covert reading for me to discover my feelings were common and I should not let them define me.

Exactly the advice I would give to anyone in their formative years. BTW, you can read my profile. I think life has worked out OK for me.
izzythepush

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 04:23 pm
@neologist,
It is far fetched, adolescence is a topsy turvy time and has no bearing on the future. Some people are gay, and most fight against it because there's still a lot of stigma attached.

Live and let live, and **** what a load of bronze age people had to say on the matter.
neologist

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 04:49 pm
@izzythepush,
Actually, I think I just said pretty much the same thing
izzythepush

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 05:01 pm
@neologist,
I think you suggested homosexuality was something that could be resisted. That only works if you're not really gay, just confused. I've always known I was straight, no homosexual desires at all, that's probably why I'm not frightened of gays. I'm confident in my sexuality, the most virulent homophobes tend to be closets.

Why would God make something sinful if it only affects certain people, and why would he make certain people gay in the first place? It doesn't make sense. Just because I'm not attracted to men doesn't make me any more virtuous than some of my gay mates who aren't attracted to women. If there is a God, and assuming he doesn't make mistakes, he made people gay for a reason, the same reason he made some people have a particularly low sex drive. For some people it's natural to be gay for others straight, bi or celibate. It's not a sin accepting what you are, it's the natural order of things. Just accept it and get on with your own life, what other people get up to in the privacy of their own bedrooms is no concern of yours.
neologist

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 05:18 pm
@izzythepush,
Not exactly the case. But it's pointless to continue my side of the argument as I concede much of yours
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Sun 29 Mar, 2015 05:44 pm
@izzythepush,
Quote:
That only works if you're not really gay, just confused. I've always known I was straight, no homosexual desires at all, that's probably why I'm not frightened of gays.

I see, so according to you if I dont believe that the 1% should be allowed to accumulate more wealth than they have now I must be frightened of them, you disallow the possibility that I dont think it is a good idea while holding no fear. I reject the argument because because there are thousands of things that I dont think are a good idea for which I have no fear.

Quote:
I think you suggested homosexuality was something that could be resisted
It has been and it can be at any time. Only whether it should be is in question. I myself take no position on that question.
NSFW (view)
TheCobbler

Mon 30 Mar, 2015 04:43 am
Are Christian holidays and festivals paganism?

Newly discovered ancient Christian magical spell reveals Egyptian influence
http://www.examiner.com/article/newly-discovered-ancient-christian-magical-spell-reveals-egyptian-influence

Pagan Symbolism in ALL major Religions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBnSrxzHy7E

The Egyptian Book Of The Dead (part one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwkHnjS4_yo

The Egyptian Book Of The Dead (part two)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flXCZb00sB0

Which religion's "holy people" conceived of these ideas attributed to Christianity today?
Olivier5

Mon 30 Mar, 2015 06:44 am
@TheCobbler,
The Egyptians invented a lot of stuff which the Greeks and the Hebrews copied. They knew the earth was round and even calculated its circumference. There is nothing wrong with learning from others... All religions are pagan. doesn't make them bad.....
0 Replies

neologist

Mon 30 Mar, 2015 08:40 am
@TheCobbler,
Funny you should bring that up. Have you read Alexander Hyslop's The Two Babylons ; or have you seen Rosborne's thread?

http://able2know.org/topic/127411-1

Have you considered that the obfuscation of God may not be the fault of God? Could there be more at work?
TheCobbler

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 08:55 pm
@neologist,
Obfuscation of God is the fault of "the word" and other religious instruments used to portray fables rather than a more natural panthea based upon science and reason should shine through.
maxdancona

Wed 1 Apr, 2015 10:22 pm
@TheCobbler,
Quote:
more natural panthea based upon science and reason should shine through.

That is a ridiculous statement..
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 08:56 am
@TheCobbler,
TheCobbler wrote:
Obfuscation of God is the fault of "the word" . . .
This half of the statement is also ridiculous, max
0 Replies

neologist

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:05 pm
@TheCobbler,
I took the liberty of posting your comment here as an example of effulgent erudition:
http://able2know.org/topic/271694-6#post-5924384
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:07 pm
Max...Neo...

...I'll have to take your words for the post being "ridiculous."

For me...it is incoherent...and incomprehensible.

What was he trying, unsuccessfully, to say?
maxdancona

Thu 2 Apr, 2015 01:15 pm
@Frank Apisa,
What part of "more natural panthea based on science" don't you understand, Frank?