How can a facebook friend know I filtered her from a post?

rsbe

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:05 am
Recently, a fb friend sent me a message telling me that I had made 11 posts one day, all of which she didn't get on her timeline. She was pretty upset that I filtered her. Putting aside the inappropriateness of her intruding on my privacy settings, how can she know about my posts that she was filtered on? Doesn't the privacy feature prevent someone not only from receiving the post from which she's filtered but also the fact of the post?? Seems to me that is an essential function of the privacy feature. Is there something on fb or some sort of app that allows a filtered friend to see the fact that I posted something??

Thank you. I look forward to your responses.

URL: http://able2know.org/topic/270645-1
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 2,495 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:13 am
@rsbe,
if a post appears on your page, anyone (who is a friend) can see if it has gone to a smaller group or is shared publicly by hovering their cursor where the little wheel is in the post.

It will show if something was shared with the public or had a custom share setting.

It doesn't say who/what the custom group is - but if someone doesn't see it in their feed, they can figure out if it hasn't been publicly shared quite easily.

The only way I know to prevent that is to actually create private groups, where all of the discussion happens. Those posts don't appear on your page or feed but not everyone wants to do everything in a private group.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:19 am
@rsbe,
There is a way to control that. Use the list feature to create a list of people you want to see particular types of posts. I have separate lists for family, gardeners, gamers, close friends, etc. Also, make sure your privacy settings are set so that things are seen only by friends, not friends of friends.

Your friend probably has an alternate account on your friend list, or your settings are at friends of friends and she saw them via a mutual friend's timeline.

Using the lists I suggested and tightening the privacy means you specify who sees anything on a subject you want them to see. Using the blocking feature allows for alternates to slip through.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 11:26 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
Use the list feature to create a list of people you want to see particular types of posts. I have separate lists for family, gardeners, gamers, close friends, etc.

this controls the feed, but not what appears on your page

if it's on the page, friends can still see the posts - if they go to the page
rsbe

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 01:25 pm
@Butrflynet,
thank you for your reply. But let me reiterate, she's not seeing the post! All she somehow can see is the total number of posts I made that day. And, in fact, I'm using a small group. Specifically, I created a group and put only one person in it and I am putting up these posts to just that group of one. So she shouldn't see the post - she doesn't (what's got her mad is that she doesn't see them) - but how the heck can she know how many posts I made in a day if the post is to a group and the group has only the one person in it?!

Again, this friend is not seeing the content of the posts!!! She can't. She only knows how many I made.
0 Replies

rsbe

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 01:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Thank you for your reply. I do understand quite well how the privacy feature works. But the issue is not this friend seeing the posts. She cannot see the posts. Has no idea what they are and that's what's making her upset. She doesn't know what I'm posting but she knows how many posts I've made. How??

I also don't quite understand. You say that if a post appears on my page anyone can see it. I don't think that's the case. Are you aware of the "View As" feature? It allows you to see what your page looks like to any one of your friends. I've used this a lot and every single time I've excluded someone from seeing a post, the View As function clearly excludes that page. So that friend cannot see the filetered post. Unless you know that the View As feature is bogus.

I am using smaller groups and the posts this friend is complaining about are posts I made to one of those smaller groups that, in fact, has only one person
in that group. So, again, I ask how can this friend know how many posts I make? Isn't it supposed to be hidden from her completely? What am I missing?
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 06:21 pm
@rsbe,
Sounds like someone who should just be removed from your friend list period.

Is the friendship worth the hassle from the control freak?
rsbe

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 07:03 pm
@Butrflynet,
Thank you for your reply. But that particular response, which I already know is an option and is well worth considering, does nothing to answer the question I want to know. Whether I drop the friend or not I want to know how the eff can she - or anyone - know the number of my posts I make where she's been filtered out. That's the software, fb, or whatever question and not whether I can un-friend her. But I do appreciate your answering me again and taking the time to try to help me.
0 Replies

rf2017

Reply Wed 1 Nov, 2017 11:22 am
@ehBeth,
If I´m filtered by a friend, is it possibile to see his likes? Tks
0 Replies