want to find someone according to their education...

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:37 pm
Is it possible to find someone according to their education? As in a B.A. in physics or a MA Chemical?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,027 • Replies: 12

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:46 pm
@how2finddadjohndoe,
nosybody
how2finddadjohndoe

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 08:56 pm
@ossobuco,
what's that supposed to mean?
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 10:52 pm
@how2finddadjohndoe,
I don't understand the question. Are we talking about finding a specific person or what?
jespah

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 08:43 am
@how2finddadjohndoe,
A degree would have to be exceptionally specific for it to be at all useful in your search. The only place I can even think of searching is LinkedIn, unless you know a that person's alma mater. A search for BA Physics brings up 157 million search results. There's over 65,000 such results on LinkedIn, but at least they're more closely associated with people, rather than programs where you can get a Bachelor's degree in Physics.

If you want to intelligently look for your father, then you need to get more information from your mother. Name, approximate age, where she knew him from, names of any of his family members or friends, etc.

Be your own detective. Do some legwork. This means getting offline and talking to people.
how2finddadjohndoe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
@jespah,
Thank you. Would knowing where it was earned (for ex. college or university?) help to find him?
how2finddadjohndoe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 06:51 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
yes. My dad...
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 06:55 pm
@how2finddadjohndoe,
Not much. The number of all Bachelor's degrees awarded in Physics is in the thousands per year. See:
http://www.aip.org/sites/default/files/statistics/undergrad/bachdegrees-p-10.pdf

I don't know how well you can find a breakdown by college, although that site does show a small number of people getting Physics BAs from traditionally African-American schools.
how2finddadjohndoe

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 07:12 pm
@jespah,
Well, he graduated with a B.A. in physics in (maybe) 1995 at a small liberal arts college in the US somewhere. In 1999 he started working on his masters wich he took two years to complete. In 2000, after his graduation, he had a plan that concerned paper engineering with a plant that could be grown in the US and used to make paper. He's taught sciences, math and German at a high school and elementary school.

Can this help find him?
FBM

Reply Sat 14 Mar, 2015 07:34 pm
@how2finddadjohndoe,
I saw your other thread and had these thoughts. If he grew up in Michigan, he may have gone to college there and may have taught there. I suggest getting in touch with the Michican State Department of Education: http://www.michigan.gov/mde

Try to make a contact there and tell the person your story. They probably have a database of teachers, past and present. In my experience, female teachers outnumber male teachers, so you can probably eliminate more than half just on gender. Then narrow it down further by race, again by subjects taught. Maybe by that time, the list will be short enough to work with. Best of luck to you.
PUNKEY

Reply Sun 15 Mar, 2015 12:20 pm
@how2finddadjohndoe,
How is it that you know all these details about him but don't even know his name?
0 Replies

how2finddadjohndoe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:13 pm
@FBM,
"In your experience"? Did or do you teach there?
FBM

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 07:03 pm
@how2finddadjohndoe,
No, I mean that in my experience as both student and teacher, women tend to outnumber men in the profession as a whole.
0 Replies