fresco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:15 am
Smile
0 Replies

twyvel

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:44 pm
Craven

Quote:
I repeating the question because insisting a belief is true when, as a belief, it can be false is to insist that an uncertainty is true.

Quote:
No kidding, kinda like how any assertion of perfection except on a conceptual level is an assertion of perfection when whatever is being described is, in all likelihood imperfect.

Thanks for attempts at mirroring.

"Any assertion of perfection (accept on the conceptual level) is an assertion of perfection"

Now there's a redundancy.

Quote:
It's not rocket science twyvel, pure certainty can't exist on some level, and anything anyone asserts to be a truth is merely a belief in the veracity.

No kidding.

Quote:
And this is not a news flash or anything, it's always been this way. But if you feel the urge to repeat the question again, I suggest a re-reading of the answer I provided you the first time.

e.g.

Code:while (twyvel wants to repeat the question) {
echo $theanswertwyvelalreadyreceived;
}

That way, it can be done as many times as you would like while at the same time freeing me up for more worthwhile pursuits. A win-win situation if there ever were one

Pure arrogance and mockery.

Quote:
If everything is white there is no white.

Quote:
False.

The white will continue to exist.

What you were going for is actually best described by saying "that which describes everything describes nothing" but you settled instead for a patently false statement.

My comment, "If everything is white there is no white."….was meant metaphorically, and as such is not false. And I don't really want to argue the metaphor as you are doing.

Quote:
Let's just pretend you got it right because I don't want to waste a lot of time on circle thoughts right now. I'll also go ahead and get to the point you are trying unsucessfully to get to and answer your questions:

More arrogance.

Quote:
For practical purposes people also tend to use belief to only describe a subset of the full range of beliefs. They differentiate this subset from the grander set on the basis of the ambiguity as there are many beliefs that they are unable or unwilling to investigate to see if it meets their criteria for "true".

Other considerations include beliefs that are disputed to a significant (according to the criteria of each individual) degree as well as beliefs that the individual considers to be false while others consider true.

Yes, I know all that ****. You're missing the point.

Quote:
See jnhofzinser's post on this thread if you would like more edification in that regard.

This isn't edification, it's transparent, condescending arrogance.

[This isn't a comment about jnhofzinser's post]

Quote:
Oh yes. And furthermore questions I am inclined to leave for others to spend time on.

Oh no.

More arrogance.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:28 pm
twyvel wrote:

"Any assertion of perfection (accept on the conceptual level) is an assertion of perfection"

Now there's a redundancy.

Indeed. I'm not sure what I meant to have typed in place of the second "perfection" but it was probably just a wordy way to reference another adjective we use without the pure conceptual meaning but merely to describe a acceptable threshold.

For practical purposes we merely use an acceptable threshold for "perfect" and for practical purposes we use a threshold at which we start calling beliefs truisms and facts.

Again I'll refer to someone else who I think has said it well, for edification as to this pretty unspectacular position:

jnhofzinser wrote:
I think that everything we hold is a belief ("it is all white") -- but we can (at least pretend that we can) construct an agreed-upon "threshold" of foundation by which we can refer to things as "facts".

Quote:
Quote:
Code:while (twyvel wants to repeat the question) {
echo $theanswertwyvelalreadyreceived;
}

That way, it can be done as many times as you would like while at the same time freeing me up for more worthwhile pursuits. A win-win situation if there ever were one

Pure arrogance and mockery.

You are a very serious lady. I thought it playful but your scowl and glare has made me think otherwise.

Quote:
My comment, "If everything is white there is no white."….was meant metaphorically, and as such is not false.

Ok

Quote:
And I don't really want to argue the metaphor as you are doing.

You might have missed my last post when I said I did not wish to argue about your metaphor. It might make you start scowling and doing that "arrogance!" thing.

Quote:
Quote:
Let's just pretend you got it right because I don't want to waste a lot of time on circle thoughts right now. I'll also go ahead and get to the point you are trying unsucessfully to get to and answer your questions:

More arrogance.

No, just impatience and not wanting to waste any more time arguing a metaphor.

Quote:
Yes, I know all that ****. You're missing the point.

Well twyvel, if repetition is any indicator I might be inclined to think the single solitary word "arrogance" is the extent of your point.

Quote:
Quote:
See jnhofzinser's post on this thread if you would like more edification in that regard.

This isn't edification, it's transparent, condescending arrogance.

I actually thought jnhofzinser's post was edifying. Confused But yeah yeah.... "arrogance!" "arrogance!"

Quote:
[This isn't a comment about jnhofzinser's post]

I'm starting to suspect you just might believe I'm arrogant. I'm picking up a vibe like that from you. Shocked

If that's the gist of what you are trying to say I am inclined to agree with you. But ironically, given the beginning, the redundancy and near exclusivity of expression that this observation can claim in your post certainly has made it a bit boring.

Quote:
Quote:
Oh yes. And furthermore questions I am inclined to leave for others to spend time on.

Oh no.

More arrogance.
[/QUOTE]

Rolling Eyes

Perhaps, but maybe it was also a bit of common sense in not wanting to get into yet another protracted debate with twyvel on a really simple concept where it goes around and around without you getting to any real point and involves silliness on each of our parts.

Sometimes I really enjoy debates, but they usually have less in way of one-word responses, such contention over a very unspectacular position (it's usually at least about politics, not nit-picking over my definition of a word), and sternness.

Perhaps arrogant yes, but I won't let that get in the way of what my common sense is telling me. Which is simply that a point hasn't emerged long past the threshold at which the conversation ceased to be worthwhile. It's now abrasive and that I should indeed allow others to address any desire you might have to discuss this topic.

jnhofzinser expressed a similar position you know.

Sorry jnhofzinser.
0 Replies