Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 03:11 pm
The famed fantasy author has died aged 66

I was never a completist fan but I saw an article listing the five best Pratchett books and was gratified the only three I had read (Colour of Magic, Mort and Good Omens) made the list.

Anyway these 15 quotes give you a sense if you've never indulged

http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2015/mar/12/terry-pratchett-in-quotes-15-of-the-best
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,971 • Replies: 3
No top replies

hingehead

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 03:21 pm
Why make you go to the link?

Here they are:

The whole of life is just like watching a film. Only it’s as though you always get in ten minutes after the big picture has started, and no-one will tell you the plot, so you have to work it out all yourself from the clues. —from Moving Pictures

Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time. —from Hogfather

I’d rather be a rising ape than a falling angel. —from the Guardian Book Club

It’s not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren’t doing it. —from the foreword to The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Fantasy, by David Pringle

Stories of imagination tend to upset those without one.

Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they’ve found it. – from Monstrous Regiment

It’s still magic even if you know how it’s done. – from A Hat Full of Sky

There are times in life when people must know when not to let go. Balloons are designed to teach small children this.

The entire universe has been neatly divided into things to (a) mate with, (b) eat, (c) run away from, and (d) rocks.

If you don’t turn your life into a story, you just become a part of someone else’s story. – from The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents

The truth may be out there, but the lies are inside your head.

Goodness is about what you do. Not who you pray to. - from Snuff

I have no use for people who have learned the limits of the possible.

So much universe, and so little time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 03:31 pm
@hingehead,
Aw. I read Raising Steam, which may have been his last novel. It was up to standard in spite of his Alzheimer's.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 03:18 am
@hingehead,
I never actually read Pratchett, too many people whose opinion I didn't rate raved about him and that put me off. I did however watch the Sky TV adaptations of some of his books and really enjoyed them. If nothing else he was a thoroughly decent bloke who spoke very eloquently about Alzheimer's and brought it to the public's attention. He will be missed.

Here he plays the part of an astrozoologist from one of his own books, and carries it off very well.

0 Replies