Your Avatar and you?

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 11:38 am
Does your avatar have any significance to you personally?
Do you change it often or are you still on your first a2k generated avatar? Have you ever been bold enough to use your own photograph?

What about your signature line? Is it a favorite quote of yours? Do you change it often? Do you have a different signature line in your email service? Are you presently thinking to yourself, "What's a signature line?"
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 16 • Views: 4,122 • Replies: 20

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 11:52 am
I change mine every now and again. I have used my own pictures many times. Also things dear to me, such as Pogo Possum and the 1929 Dodge Victory Six that was our family car at one time. I like the present one, of Mark Twain, for quite a few reasons. It was selected instead of more familiar ones of him to see him from a different perspective.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 12:04 pm
I have in fact made a short video, explaining how my avatar came to be.

I have recently added subtitles for anyone here who does not seem to understand the Queen's English.

Olivier5

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 12:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I use comic characters whom I'm found of. No sig line.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 12:35 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have a stack of avatars that I rotate through. I occasionally go back to my original deerhuahua. I've used my own pic a few times over the years. Nothing bold about it.

Sig line has been the same for a long long time and I'm pretty attached to it.
jespah

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 12:51 pm
A Boston Terrier for semi-obvious reasons, plus my alma mater's teams are the Terriers. Pissed off because, heh, I'm a moderator. 'Nuff said.

Sig line is a fave film plus fave quotes from two departed mods.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:43 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I have a stack of avatars that I rotate through.

Same here. I try to keep mine relatively seasonal.

My sig line is changed on a less frequent basis. That ones chosen are for more arbitrary reasons.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:53 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Yes. The obvious one.

Quote:
Do you change it often or are you still on your first a2k generated avatar?

Hardly ever. I started with a picture of my arm...switched to a head shot...and just recently to a more recent head shot.

(This one is from almost 7 years ago...but I don't wanna look as old as I am looking right now...so I may go away from a head shot at some point.)

Quote:
Have you ever been bold enough to use your own photograph?

This is me. I don't consider it bold...in fact, I think it is a bit cowardly for me to use a 7 year old shot. But...all things considered, I'm happy with it.

Quote:
What about your signature line? Is it a favorite quote of yours? Do you change it often?

I like my sig line...although I get grief about it from time to time. I'm not in love with it...and I may change it as some point.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 01:57 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Watched it on youtube.

I think I now understand why I sometimes have trouble with your posts.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:03 pm
Eeyore because we share the same optimistic and cheerful outlook on life.

I might bring the rat back at any time.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 03:39 pm
@tsarstepan,
My avatar is remarkably similar to my own handsome mug. There was a different one back at the start, then I changed it and have kept it for several years. (the main difference is my hair is longer, haven't been to a barbarian since 2008, a couple or four quick trims since)

The current sig. caught my interest so I placed it. An earlier sig. was more about me- 'ain't good looking but I'm hard to kill' which I swiped from Van Ronk from his song Head Inspector.

Someday I might change the sig and/or avatar, time'll tell.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Wed 11 Mar, 2015 10:27 pm
My avatar is my favorite animal. I've had others, but I've had this one a long time. I couldn't figure out how to insert avatars. Da bunny found a cheetah and posted it here for me. What a good kid.

My signature line has been with me from the outset. It has profound meaning for me and will never be changed. Aside from the fact that I love Robert Burns, the sense of the quote reflects a constant in my life. I don't see myself the way others seem to see me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 01:11 am
Thanks, Boss . . . you reminded me that i wanted to change my signature line.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 01:01 pm
my avatar is an old Halloween one i've just been to lazy to change

as for sigs here are some of my faves i've used

dardardit to High Seas-You're not answering the question. You're using other peoples Quotes to impress, and it doesn't work.

member of KJRA-(knee-jerk responders anonymous)

OSD-U shoud not be hitting anyone with a whip whether i am delusional or not

some good advice from kittenluver97 - do u noe why u dont have any replies? beacause u make ur stories too long

JTT - At least that explains why your posts are so facile. djjd62 - thank you, i aim for infantile, but i'll except facile

"He was a little odd wasn't he?" said Moominpappa uncertainly. "Very odd, if you ask me," said Little My. "Quite nuts." Moominmamma sighed, "But so are most of the people we know-more or less," she said.

Gush your loved ones over by cracking the grins with wonderful gift ideas

"My confession is dark, I will lighten it with another. I have not spent my entire life on this planet, I have lived elsewhere."

i'm a centaurist when it comes to politicians, they might have the heads of humans, but in the end there's just a horses ass

i got my bedroom republican from Target. it's kinda like a garden gnome with a gun and a bible

I cried because my Wi-Fi was slow until I saw a guy stuck talking with his kids because he had no internet at all.

Opinions are like assholes: make sure you scrub yours real good before showing it to a roomful of people
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 01:35 pm
I like its attitude.

Do you change it often or are you still on your first a2k generated avatar?
I put this up one Hallowe'en and liked it so much I kept it.

Have you ever been bold enough to use your own photograph?
Yes.

What about your signature line? Is it a favorite quote of yours?
Yes. Can't remember where I heard/read it.

Do you change it often?
Nope. Sometimes seasonally.

Do you have a different signature line in your email service?
I don't use one there.

Are you presently thinking to yourself, "What's a signature line?"
I am presently thinking "That would make a good signature line."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2015 01:57 pm
I rotate avatars, mostly dogs in my life, sometimes other photos that attract me, like the recent sea otter mom and her pup. I've had a beautiful traffic circle (Independencia) in Mexico City, a half orange with (a lizard? I forget) crawling up the side, my neighbor's duck named Foxy wanting me to open our back door, a 2007 photo of me taken by Mame at an a2k get together.

Miscellaneous oldie sigs -
In these films, everyone has their theory of love, and if they believe that one cannot have a theory of love, well, then that’s their theory. (from a Rohmer films review by Michael Newton in the Guardian; I want to see The Green Ray, Le Rayon Vert)

Haikus can be easy. But sometimes they don't make sense. Refrigerator. (on a teeshirt worn by a character in a John Lescroart book, A Plague of Secrets)

"Satire and folly are not strange bedfellows but enthusiastic hanky-pankying bedmates whose love child is entertainment." (Robert Mankoff)

"If we want things to stay as they are, they will have to change." Giuseppe Tomasi di Lampedusa, The Leopard

"the green wave spreads on the printless beach" and " the sound of water gnawing at bright stone" (Derek.Walcott)

I recited the opening line: "The wind howled like a beast in pain." Elmore took a beat and said: "Never open a book from the wind's point of view." I can hear him say: "If it sounds like writing, rewrite it." (Peter Leonard quoting his father)

As Jean Cocteau famously said: "The French are Italians in a bad mood".
(I'm not sure I've used that, eh.)

The trouble with being poor is that it takes up all your time. (William de Kooning, via Camp's unfamiliar quotations)

0 Replies

Volosya

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 01:18 pm
@edgarblythe,
Mostly i use as an avatar face of my game-hero - Raziel, from game series Legacy of Kain. You can read about it here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_of_Kain
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 01:20 pm
@Volosya,
Yet, you haven't changed the Gravatar generated avatar here.... Neutral
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 03:53 pm
That's my mug up there and I have no plans to be changing it in the foreseeable future, I've reached that ripe old age where my appearance no longer changes significantly with the passing years. The pic was shot at a meeting of A2kers in San Francisco maybe 8 or 10 years ago. It was taken by either cicerone impostor or Francis Paris (or maybe Calamity Jane or,,,Smile) at a luncheon that Georgeo'b hosted at the Saint Francis Yacht Club.

I've changed my sig line from time to time but keep coming back to the Cartesian parody for some reason I'm not sure I understand. It just amuses me and the fact that most newcomers don't know what it means is a good conversation starter. I'm not much on the notion of sig lines, don't use one on my e-mail, probably won't be changing this one soon.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2015 04:16 pm
Roger Mellie, my favourite Viz character.

http://viz.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/Apprentice2.png
0 Replies