Madonna has changed her name to Esther

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:59 am
It's Esther: Wanna make something of it?

June 18, 2004

NEW YORK -- Call her Esther: That's the Hebrew name Madonna has chosen for herself as a follower of Kabbalah.

''I was named after my mother. My mother died when she was very young, of cancer, and ... I wanted to attach myself to another name,'' the singer says in an interview on ABC's ''20/20,'' airing at 9 tonight on WLS-Channel 7. ''This is in no way a negation of who my mother is ... I wanted to attach myself to the energy of a different name.''

http://www.suntimes.com/output/entertainment/cst-ftr-madonna18.html

Call me crazy, but I don't think the name "Esther" is going to sell too many records. Is she losing it, or what?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 5,298 • Replies: 53
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:02 am
Maybe she's trying to give the British tabloids a reason to stop calling her "Madge." She HATED that.

I don't know what she's up to, don't particularly care. I respect her business acumen, but...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:07 am
It's almost as bad as when prince changed his name to a hermaphroditic symbol. Now that was stupid.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:08 am
VERY stupid.

He's back, though!

Prince is my favorite of that crew -- Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, etc.

By the way I think Michael Jackson's plastic surgery was guided by "make me look like Prince". At first at least.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:27 am
Just in case anyone is interested:

http://home1.gte.net/deleyd/religion/esther.html

Someone ought to tell Madonna and her Kabbalistic cronies to get over themselves already, not that I blame the rabbis for taking a buck at the expense of ignorant stars.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:31 am
My take on the choice of name, having attended many humourous Purim services as a kid, is that Madonna, choosing that name, is really just making a joke of herself. Laughing
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:32 am
Besides asking to be called Ester, Estonna said President Bush and Saddam Hussein are alike.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 10:36 am
For someone who makes such crappy music, she sure is deep Walter, heh heh.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 12:38 pm
Now she can move from Madge to Eppie. See: http://www.who2.com/annlanders.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 12:49 pm
An article in today's NYT quoted her publicist as saying it was a "dream name" or something, but "nothing she'd answer to."

Whaaaaaaatever...
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 02:57 pm
I don't think it will make a bit of difference to her fans. After all a rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Or something to that effect.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:19 pm
Unattractive woman, no matter what her name.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:22 pm
the marketing machine formerly known as madonna

well
ok
fine

madge
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:22 pm
She is no raving beauty but she certainly is not unattractive.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:26 pm
When I hear the name Esther, I picture a 300 lb Jewish woman making a pot of Motzah Ball Soup...not very sexy.

On the other hand, I had a married boss years ago who was having an affair with a Jewish woman and her name was Esther....she was one hot looking woman. He divorced and they eventually married. His daughter, Elizabeth Wanio, was one of the passangers killed on Flight 93 in PA...I was shocked when I saw them on 60 minutes.
Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:28 pm
au1929 wrote:
She is no raving beauty but she certainly is not unattractive.

To you, not to me! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:29 pm
Miller wrote:
Unattractive woman, no matter what her name.

Madonna has always been attractive, IMO, and still is...even at her age. She's super talented too. That's a claim Britney Spears, the Madonna wannabe can't make.
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:30 pm
doglover, but there was esther williams...

i think she got the name from ancient jewish history, Queen Esther, who fooled an anti-semite king who married her.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:32 pm
Yes, Gala, that's what I heard on the radio. Madonna is amazing...she always come up with ways to reinvent herself. LOL
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 05:33 pm
doglover wrote:
When I hear the name Esther, I picture a 300 lb Jewish woman making a pot of Motzah Ball Soup...not very sexy.

On the other hand, I had a married boss years ago who was having an affair with a Jewish woman and her name was Esther....she was one hot looking woman. He divorced and they eventually married. His daughter, Elizabeth Wanio, was one of the passangers killed on Flight 93 in PA...I was shocked when I saw them on 60 minutes.

"Not very sexy"? Some 300 pound Jewish women are very sexy to some men. Of course, some men prefer skeletons! What's it feel like to squeeze a skeleton?
0 Replies