word meaning

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 10:14 am
Some questions arise when I read the following sentences. But I didn't find any answer. Please help me, if you know that.

"Beth stays in the kitchen. "I don't paint," she says to those who haven't already heard. And you can feel the resentment rise like paint fumes swirling around the house.

Team Spirit inevitably splinters Group Consciousness as we work in our separate rooms. Yellow (bathroom) vs. Blue (nursery) vs. Eggshell A (office) and Eggshell B (stairwell). Soon Blue is yelling to Yellow about having the most perfect ceiling, while Egg A challenges Egg B to a skirting- board race."

1) If I use 'when' instead of 'like' (in "And you can feel the resentment like paint...), what differences will arise?

2) I think, here, 'splinters' means 'break'. Am I right?

3) Blue is shouting to Yellow? What does it mean?

4) What is meant with "about having the most
perfect ceiling"?

5) What is meant with 'skirting-board race'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,123 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 01:05 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
Quote:
1) If I use 'when' instead of 'like' (in "And you can feel the resentment like paint...), what differences will arise?
Doesn't work at all for several reasons, one of which: With "when" you'd have to say "fumes are swirling," an entirely different meaning

Quote:
Si

Quote:
3) Blue is shouting to Yellow? What does it mean?
The various rooms are painted by teams. The blue team is shouting to the yellow one

Quote:
perfect ceiling"?
Each team thinks its job is more nearly perfect

Quote:
5) What is meant with 'skirting-board race'?
Dunno Ahmed; might involve a ladder; maybe Lay or Con or S. can further help you
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 10:07 pm
Beth stays in the kitchen. "I don't paint," she says to those who haven't already heard. And you can feel the resentment rise like paint fumes swirling around the house.

Team Spirit inevitably splinters Group Consciousness as we work in our separate rooms. Yellow (bathroom) vs. Blue (nursery) vs. Eggshell A (office) and Eggshell B (stairwell). Soon Blue is yelling to Yellow about having the most perfect ceiling, while Egg A challenges Egg B to a skirting- board race."

No - "like" is needed. This phrase is a simile and describes the resentment.

Splinter here would mean breaks up into different parts or scattered.

3) Blue is shouting to Yellow? What does it mean? Colors can compliment or contrast each other. This is a personification of what the colors are saying to each other.

perfect ceiling"? Having the best ceiling.

5 - Skirting boards are the baseboards or wood mouldings around the bottom of the room. Again, this is a personification of the colors.

Look up the underlined words to get a better idea of this kind of writing style.

0 Replies