Title of volcano disaster movie of ca. 1975

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 04:28 am
Hi there, this one is for the movie buffs and especially for those who like disaster movies. I watched a volcano disaster movie with my parents back in around 1975 when I was about 6 years old (I think the latest date I can place it, is around 1977 or so). I cannot remember the title and therefore I will have to describe some of the scenes in the movie. The parts I remember most vividly revolve around some kind of research centre or laboratory perched on the mouth of a volcano. I believe this building was kind of whitish, looking from the outside. In one particular scene three men go down in a kind of elevator taking them deeper inside the volcano. The floor of the elevator was made of thick glass and, not surprisingly, at some point the glass cracked and one of the men nearly fell out of the elevator. He was rescued just in time by the other men in the elevator. Around the end of the movie the research centre falls into the volcano when it starts to erupt, I recall one scene where the scientists run around in the main control room, panicking, when this happens. I cannot recall if there were other points of interest in the movie like a town being destroyed as in other similar movies. I hope someone out there can help here, it has tickled me for ages trying to find out what this movie's title is.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 669 • Replies: 1
No top replies

timur

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 05:02 am
Probably "When time ran out (1980)":

Quote:
This movie, starring Paul Newman before salad dressing, arrived at the tail end of the 1970s disaster film heyday … and it is very confusing. Supposedly based on the 1902 eruption of Pelee, the movies doesn’t even seem to be set in the same ocean, let alone with the right type of volcano. Somehow, Pelee becomes Kilauea and there are rivers of lava and they decided to build the volcano observatory hanging out over the crater. There is, of course, the evil developer/hotel owner who gets his just deserts and the children all get saved, but considering the events that “inspired” the film, it was pretty boring. It did, however, have Ernest Borgnine, who was contractually required to be in every disaster movie 1973-1982.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Title of volcano disaster movie of ca. 1975
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/16/2024 at 05:23:39