THE LOST CITY OF THE MONKEY GOD

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 01:48 am
Serious business . . . a city had been found in the jungles of Honduras which appears to have been the home of a heretofore unknown civilization:

Report on this discovery by the National Geographic Society[/b].

I just heard an interview on the radio of one of the members of the expedition, and he stated that he believes that the city was abandoned 400 to 800 years ago, and that the animals which they encountered in that part of the forest were completely unfamiliar with humans.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,741 • Replies: 4
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:04 am
@Setanta,
neat. LIDAR is a neat technique that reads nd analyzes the differences in slopes only. It doesn't read elevations . So the maps it produces uses a algorithm called "Slope Shading", in which any slope of the bare ground will be darkened depending upon how steep it is. If they come across a ruin of a series of walls (like they did), the walls will show up as black and any level areas will show up as white and tones of grey.

Those LIDAR shots are really neat. They must be a newer generation gizmo. Cause I see that the resolution is much smaller than what Im was used to.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:21 am
cool
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 08:27 am
Interesting.
It will be fascinating to see what excavation discovers.
I hope the local govt can protect the site from looting.
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2015 04:03 pm
@mysteryman,
I noticed they sent them out with the army. I'm sure that a generous donation to the officers' retirement fund will assure the security of the site.
0 Replies