MI5's man in Al Qaida speaks out.

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 05:44 am
I heard this on the radio today, and I don't know if the link allows the radio to be heard in America, but this is really interesting.

Quote:
Aimen Dean was a founding member of al-Qaeda, swearing an oath of allegiance with Osama bin Laden. In 1998 he was picked up and interrogated by British intelligence. Disillusioned with al-Qaeda's terrorist agenda, he took the dramatic decision to become a spy for MI6 and MI5. He spent eight years under cover as a spy in the UK and at the heart of al Qaeda in Afghanistan. He tells his story publicly for the first time.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05mrj7f
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,037 • Replies: 3
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 08:55 am
@izzythepush,
Part of the interview is transcribed here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-31700894

Quote:
Dean was brought up in Saudi Arabia, where opposition to the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan in the 1980s made military jihad a noble concept. He was a teenager when Yugoslavia splintered, and Bosnian Muslims found themselves in mortal danger from Serb nationalists. He and a friend, Khalid al-Hajj - later to become the leader of al-Qaeda in Saudi Arabia - set off to become mujahideen.

I would say it was the most eye-opening experience I ever had. I was a bookish nerd from Saudi Arabia just weeks ago and then suddenly I find myself prancing up on the mountains of Bosnia holding an AK-47 feeling a sense of immense empowerment - and the feeling that I was participating in writing history rather than just watching history on the side.

Dean was at a training camp in Afghanistan when the bombings of the US embassies in Nairobi and Dar es Salaam took place in 1998. He was concerned to learn that as well as the 12 American casualties, 240 or more local people died, and 5,000 were wounded.

I think that is when the horror of it started to sink in. And this is when I realised that if this is the opening salvo of this war, where is the next target? Argentina, South Africa, Mozambique? Are we going to fight Americans in Africa in order to expel them from the Middle East, from the Arabian peninsula? It just didn't make sense.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:19 am
I think that this man is incredibly brave, but slightly potty by actually putting his fizzog out there for all to see.
There will either be a Fatwa out there by now, or they will wait for Ramadan and issue a Slimwa.
Either way, he'll probably end up having to shave his beard off and wear Raybans for a while.

Brave guy though, and very interesting to find out why it was so appealing at first.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 11:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
He is brave, but he was already compromised. From the second link.

Quote:
Valued first by al-Qaeda and then British security and intelligence, Aimen Dean's life under cover came to an abrupt end when the cover was blown. An American writer disclosed his identity with details that could only be sourced to Dean. That was eight years ago.

Sound familiar, first Prince Harry and now an extremely useful asset. I sometimes wonder whose side they're on.

His story shows the stupidity of bigots like Coldjoint who wants to alienate the entire Moslem world.
0 Replies