Is there an end to the universe?

JLNobody

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2015 07:00 pm
@Razzleg,
I like your notion that the universe is stranger than we CAN imagine. At least that is the case regarding an "objective" (positivistic) understanding. The best we humans can do, as far as I'm concerned, is to realize the character of OUR particular participation in this process we call "the universe", "cosmos", or ultimate reality. The answer must be relative to our neurological nature. We can no more transcend the limitations set by that nature than can worms come to understand what we are talking about.
0 Replies

HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 07:34 am
@Rickoshay75,
The universe is constantly expanding. So an 'end' or 'border' to the area the universe encompasses is like the question of 'is there a now?' Any end or border to the universe's area will be exceeded a fraction of a moment later.

While it very nearly melted my brain, there's a physics-heavy article about this question here.

http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/the-universe/cosmology-and-the-big-bang/104-the-universe/cosmology-and-the-big-bang/expansion-of-the-universe/623-what-is-the-universe-expanding-into-intermediate?highlight=WyJ1bml2ZXJzZSIsInVuaXZlcnNlJ3MiLCJleHBhbmRpbmciLCJpbnRvIiwiaW50byciLCJ1bml2ZXJzZSBleHBhbmRpbmciLCJ1bml2ZXJzZSBleHBhbmRpbmcgaW50byIsImV4cGFuZGluZyBpbnRvIl0=

"This is a very good question which is not at all easy to give a satisfactory answer to! The first time I tried to write an answer to this, we got so many follow-up questions from people who were still confused that I decided to try to answer it again, this time much more comprehensively. The long explanation is below. However, if you just want a short answer, I'll say this: if the universe is infinitely big, then the answer is simply that it isn't expanding into anything; instead, what is happening is that every region of the universe, every distance between every pair of galaxies, is being "stretched", but the overall size of the universe was infinitely big to begin with and continues to remain infinitely big as time goes on, so the universe's size doesn't change, and therefore it doesn't expand into anything. If, on the other hand, the universe has a finite size, then it may be legitimate to claim that there is something "outside of the universe" that the universe is expanding into. However, because we are, by definition, stuck within the space that makes up our universe and have no way to observe anything outside of it, this ceases to be a question that can be answered scientifically. So the answer in that case is that we really don't know what, if anything, the universe is expanding into."

Note, that's the 'easy' version. Not-easy version can melt your brain so caution. Smile
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 08:38 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
For anyone who lives, there is an end to the universe.
vansdad

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 09:37 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Is there? Or just a new beginning?
Aliesending

Reply Mon 10 Aug, 2015 09:39 pm
@neologist,
Allow me to give my personal opinion on the universe: There is no beginning, there is no end. It is a fractal, every piece of the whole has the whole within it. It itself is a verb, the universe is an action word, it is always changing, and change gives the illusion of time, time is three dimentional. in other words, it is not linear like we perceive it. Light is the key, photons carry information, how this is done is a mystery to scientists, but cern is well on it's way to cracking this code of what gives our realities tangibility, and the answer is Thought. because the universe itself is alive, it is all aware, it is all that is. and all there is is our own thoughts. we literally create our own realities.
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 12:12 am
@Aliesending,
Hmm!

Welcome to a2k.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 02:33 am
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:38 pm
@vansdad,
It's perpetual.
0 Replies

Aliesending

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:09 pm
@JLNobody,
If you look into david wilcocks work, he used cycles of time to correlate repeating events in human history. it's very fascinating he goes on to tell that hannibal, not only looked exactly like hitler, but his campaign, was practically identical to hitlers campaign, in the sense that, the amount of people were the same, the land was all the same land..even the generals and officers of the 2 men looked amazingly similar, not only that but many many, events that are practically identical, with different people being used, like there's some kind of background energy that creates these scenarios in our life called the social memory complex, now only available to us while we dream but is very possible to always be aware of eachother as a whole. but apparently the cycles of time that have the same reoccuring events in history are always different, there is no data to understand these numbers of years between the cycles, or if they can be altered or predicted etc. very interesting stuff none the less. Alot of his stuff is really good, tho not all of it, but fascinating stuff to read none the less
Aliesending

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:21 pm
@Rickoshay75,
All those brilliant theories of the universe, and people left out the most important part of it all this whole time. Thought. the universe is made of the Thought of creation. we are all living in thecontinuous THOUGHT of the creator. everything is CONSCIOUS LIFE, even rocks, are alive but very limited in how well they can MANIPULATE the energy into tangible existance, thats why rocks graduate to crystals and gemstones, because they are being refined, they are all alive. the entire universe is life, why else do you suppose with al of our technology and crap that consciousness is still the most baffling mystery to us??? because if we understood it completly, we would know EVERYTHING there is to know! der
neologist

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 09:59 pm
@Aliesending,
Aliesending wrote:
. . . everything is CONSCIOUS LIFE, even rocks, are alive but very limited in how well they can MANIPULATE the energy into tangible existance, thats why rocks graduate to crystals and gemstones, because they are being refined, they are all alive. . .
Just last week, a pack of rocks tried to take my wallet; but I stonewalled them.

Mr. Green
HesDeltanCaptain

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:29 am
The recent discovery of so-called 'dark flow' where galaxies are moving in a united direction suggests another 'verse outside our's. Yet despite this, there's no 'end' to our universe. Maybe due to how time-space is curved and no matter how far you may go, you'll return to your starting point thus never reaching the edge of it. Universe is best conceptualized as the surface of a balloon. Any direction you go returns you to your starting point even though the balloon has finite boundaries.
0 Replies

Aliesending

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 09:05 am
@neologist,
Yeah see, this guys even got rocks trying to kill him that proves it Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Aug, 2015 08:49 pm
@Aliesending,
Within the limited environment of homo sapiens, repetition is in the dna.
0 Replies

Seremonia

Reply Fri 8 Jan, 2016 07:53 pm
@Rickoshay75,
Yes, there is an end to the universe, because anything can't exceed beyond itself without additional from anything else.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 01:39 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
This is the recycled universe idea
Thanks, you've described it well. I int3end to name it The Krump Effect
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 01:40 pm
@JLNobody,
Quote:
that the Universe will forever repeat itself
Yes JL, the Krump Effect
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 01:45 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
Quote:
if the universe is infinitely big
An infinite Universe is full of contradiction and paradox; for instance the certain probability of an infinite number of simultaneous identical Universes

Folks do have gtrouble with the finite version too; largely because they can't imagine it in Mind's Eye, supposing it to be a ball of matter confined in an infinite space. However, there's no space "outside" because there simply isn't an outside
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 01:49 pm
@Aliesending,
Quote:
we are all living in thecontinuous THOUGHT of the creator
Closely the position of us apodistical existential pantheists who maintain that He/She/It is All There is; that all the activity therein Her thinking

And yes we hafta learn a lot more, even develop a new way of thinking about it
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 9 Jan, 2016 01:50 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
I stonewalled them
Again Neo, made my day
0 Replies