Do you think the word client here has been used properly?

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 12:19 pm

Context:
Abstract
In this paper, the writer attempts to describe a brief historical review of family caregiving of clients with mental illness in the People’s Republic of China. Family responsibility in taking care of persons with mental illness was encouraged by traditional Chinese culture. However, political movement and ideologies in Marxism and Communism tended to replace family caregiving by political education and class brother concern. Later, the decline of the Cultural Revolution and modernization of economy brought back the importance of family caregiving in treatment and rehabilitation of persons with mental illness.

More:
http://www.psychosocial.com/IJPR_10/Family_Caregiving_in_China1_Yip.html

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 01:02 pm
A client is someone receiving a professional or business service; a mentally ill person might be a client of a professional mental health care service (e.g. hospital therapy), but they would not be a client of their own family.
McTag

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 04:05 pm
@contrex,
That's right.

I think also that the use of the word "client" presupposes a commercial transaction of some kind. The person who is the client pays in some way for the service provided (or payment is made on his behalf).
In the field of medicine, it's usual to use the term "patient".
contrex

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 04:39 pm
@McTag,
McTag wrote:
I think also that the use of the word "client" presupposes a commercial transaction of some kind.

I wouldn't say so. Not always, anyhow. Social workers have clients. A PC way of not saying someone is a "nutter" is to say they are, or have been, a "client of the mental health services", or rather than "junkie", "addiction services client". Often you see "service user" as well.
layman

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2015 09:24 pm
@contrex,
PC puffs the pudgy one.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 12:44 am
@McTag,
McTag. Do you understand what "A PC way" is? I failed to get it.
McTag

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 02:05 am
@contrex,

See my remark above "or payment is made on his behalf". The NHS costs an awful lot.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 02:06 am
@oristarA,

Quote:
McTag. Do you understand what "A PC way" is? I failed to get it.

That abbreviation is commonly used for "politically correct".
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:17 am

So is this all clear now?
oristarA

Reply Fri 6 Mar, 2015 04:36 am
@McTag,
McTag wrote:

So is this all clear now?

Yes, it is crystal clear.
0 Replies