Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 07:47 am
I want to explain my problems by the following sentences:

"In November, Dr Sal operated on Sor-u Pha's other ear, which also had severe cholesteatoma. With the nerve saved by operation, the boy was fitted with an affordable hearing aid Dr Sal helped developed from cheap radio parts."

1) Here, affordable hearing aid was fitted with nerve that was saved by operation. Is it right? Can I write the same sentence by the following way (if I omit, or not to wish to mention "Dr Sal helped .....) "The boy was fitted with an affordable hearing aid with the nerve saved by the operation"?

2) Notice the sentence "With the nerve saved ..... radio parts." Between "With the nerve ..... hearing aid" and "Dr Sal helped......" there has no comma. Why? How these two parts are related to each other? Is 'that' omitted between these two parts? Can I write this sentence by the following way:

"The boy was fitted affordable hearing aid that Dr Sal helped develop from cheap radio parts."

3) Why there has no 'to' before 'develop' (Dr Sal.helped develop...)? If I place 'to' before 'develop', will it be wrong? Why? If it is not wrong, what differences will be appeared?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,250 • Replies: 2
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 11:47 am
@Nousher Ahmed,
Ahmed I admire your determination. Native Americans ought to be as interested in their language

Quote:
1) Here, affordable hearing aid was fitted with nerve that was saved by operation. Is it right?
No Ahmed, ambivalent, at first glance seems to say that the hearing aid was attached to the nerve

The affordable hearing aid was fitted to the ear saved by the operation

However, that's clunky if not pretty obvious or redundant. Thus

Its nerve saved, the boy….

Hope Con or someone his equal can help you further as 1) alone wears me out for the rest of the day

0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 05:01 pm
@Nousher Ahmed,
The second sentence is badly written.

With the nerve saved by an operation, the boy was fitted with an affordable hearing aid Dr. Sal helped develop from cheap radio parts.

1) An affordable hearing aid was fitted after the nerve was saved by the operation. Your rewrite seems to suggest that the saved nerve is being used as part of the hearing aid.

2) “The boy was fitted with an affordable hearing aid Dr. Sal helped develop from cheap radio parts” is an independent clause. “Dr. Sal helped develop from cheap radio parts” modifies “hearing aid.” A comma would be incorrect. “That” and “to” can be omitted, but I’d prefer to include them. The language is shifting more towards non-inclusion, however. “The boy was fitted with an affordable hearing aid (that) Dr. Sal helped (to) develop from cheap radio parts.”
0 Replies