Why bother making foods such as veggie sausage?

Tiaha

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:09 pm
what do veggie burgurs taste like? do they really taste like ground up veggies? or do they taste like... meat?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:15 pm
Tiaha -

Neither. They are good though. I would suggest Boca for a start.

I have never been a vegetarian but my wife is. I have come to like a lot of the veggie versions better than the real. I like veggie dogs, burgers, and a lot of the meat substitutes.

The reason is that I can eat them and not feel like crap afterwards. I think a 32 ounce steak is great - but I feel like dog poo for about 3 days afterwards. I still like meat but have learned to keep it it portion sizes. (For me about 4 to 6 ounces).

TF
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:25 pm
I like the Garden Burgers (tm). Some grainy stuff and diced mushrooms held together with a bit of cheese. It gets hot and gooey and tastes like -- a Garden Burger.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 01:31 pm
You know I've left many a bar in my day with a piece of meat that turned out to be a vegetable......
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:00 pm
And if you live long enough, you'll have one of your own.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:02 pm
squinney already does....
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 03:03 pm
I'm not a veggie, love garden burgers. Morningstar Farms had something called a pizza burger -- veggie -- that was divine, had it pretty much every other day when the sozlet was a baby (easy prep, pop in the microwave...) They stopped making 'em, though... :-(
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Too bad Plato could have weighed in on this central question of Philosophy.

Perhaps we are only seeing the shadow of the meat shaped vegetable, from a fire in a cave.

On the other hand, is meat shaped vegetables any weirder than most the stuff we eat?
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Too bad Plato could have weighed in on this central question of Philosophy.

Perhaps we are only seeing the shadow of the meat shaped vegetable, from a fire in a cave.

On the other hand, is meat shaped vegetables any weirder than most the stuff we eat?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
Yeah, I enjoy Morning Star Farms and Boca burgers--with added slices of red onion and lots of mustard. Why not? And my blood vessels are greatful. We go out for a filet mignon once a month, but only once a month. I do not confuse Veggie meat substitutes with meat. They are what they are. When I want meat I eat meat, but not too much and not too often. Wine...that's another matter. There I am a purist.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:18 pm
I'm going out hunting carrots this weekend. (Sssssh! be vewwy vewwy qwiet)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 05:23 pm
:-)

Ooh, I had to check, and they DO still make the kind I like. Jewel just doesn't carry 'em anymore. Hmph.

http://kelloggs.com/cgi-bin/brandpages/product.pl?product=350&company=23
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:20 pm
Try Dominicks, then. (Jewel was one of my least favorite things about Chicago. Ugh. And the Osco at Chicago and Western. Ugh ugh.)
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 06:20 am
Sam's is a good place to buy Boca Burgers, as they cost about half as much as in the supermarket.
0 Replies