Legal Status of Internet

gollum

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 04:24 pm
The FCC and Congress are going to change the Internet's status to that of a utility. As such, servicers (i.e., ISPs) won't be allowed to offer greater speed to a particular content provider for a higher price.

But presently, ISPs (e.g., Verizon) offer plans with greater speed to users for more money.

Why is one allowed and not the other?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 667 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 04:48 pm
@gollum,
Comcast does the same thing with their service. I believe they have 2 or 3 different tiers of service. They could have changed by now but last I heard they were 25Mbps and 50Mbps.

The confusion gets worse when you look at the US mail system. Next day, 2-3 day ect, ect. You can send the same box 3 or 4 different ways and each way is going to cost you a different amount for the speed in which the package gets there.

What this new regulation is going to do is say, I want a package shipped next day, but I only want to pay the price of a first class stamp. Shouldn't congress be involved in the process, like it was with the 1996 Federal Communications Act?
0 Replies