Dannytt

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 04:34 pm
Hello
I'm wiring led lights in my car, the box that came with the lights changes the colour of the LEDs by distributing power to connections to create the colour.
This box has broke
I'm wondering if there would be a manual switch, like a rotary resistor switch to combine power to different connections to create different colours

The connections are
3 x neg colour connections (green, red and blue)
And a 12v positive conection.

Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 675 • Replies: 1
No top replies

carloslebaron

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 09:52 pm
@Dannytt,
This is how LED lights "change colors"

http://www.ledlights.org/FAQ/How-Do-LED-Lights-Change-Color.html

Quote:
The short answer, however, is that LED’s don'’t change color, rather different diodes receive current giving the illusion that the color changes. Because there are so many uses for LED lights from Christmas decorations to traffic signals, it is important to understand the technology behind these amazing lights. For the first time in history, artificial light is able to recreate virtually every color in the visible light spectrum.
LED Basics – Construction

The first thing to understand when questioning, “How do LED lights change color?” is to see a LED light as a series of diodes that emit light when electricity is introduced. This electricity flows from positive to negative, and depending on how each diode is manufactured, a different wavelength of the light spectrum will be emitted during the transference of energy. In other words, each diode has the capacity to produce a single color, and when it is powered, it gives off that color of the light spectrum.

An even more simplified way of viewing this is to look at the most basic colors in an LED, Red/Green/Blue, that when ‘lit’ together produce white light. Now, in order to produce a color-changing LED, several diodes must be in the light, each having a different capacity for a single color. As electricity passes from diode to diode, the LED will appear to change colors. Should all of the diodes be powered at once, the result is white light.

I think you must provide the brand name or post pictures of the distribution box, in order to see what can be done.

My wild guess is that a rotary resistor switch won't work at all.

0 Replies