Fox anchor uses J-word about Lady Gaga's music

contrex

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 02:38 pm
According to the Guardian, Fox 8 news anchor Kristi Capel used a word I had not heard for maybe 50 years. She told a co-presenter Wayne Dawson that she was impressed by Lady Gaga’s tribute to the Sound of Music, but added: “It’s hard to really hear her voice with all the jigaboo music that she does, or whatever you want to call it. She has a gorgeous voice – I never knew!”

The Guardian felt it had to explain that:

Quote:
“jigaboo” is a racially offensive term that has been used against African Americans, particularly in the early years of the last century.

Capel took to Twitter to apologise, saying she was not aware of the meaning of the term and expressing “deep regret”.

Is her ignorance (a) plausible, (b) an acceptable excuse? I see she tweeted that she "didn’t know the meaning behind it or that it was even a word"

... That it was even a word? After she said it?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 3,083 • Replies: 25

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 02:44 pm
@contrex,
Would anyone under 60 or 70 years of age - who isn't a language nerd - know that?

I wouldn't expect them to.

but ... Ms. Capel seems to know the word and its meaning. It's perfect for the context - properly offensive to everyone.

I'd love to (NOT) know what she's claiming she thought the meaning was.

I'm guessing she's from the southern US - and, yes, that is my own bias showing.
contrex

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 02:53 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I'm guessing she's from the southern US - and, yes, that is my own bias showing.

Sho' nuff! According to Wikipedia, she "is a native of Florence, Kentucky who later moved to Missouri".

Have things improved so much in Dixie that people of her age have never heard of the word "jigaboo"? (or "even that it is a word"?)
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:00 pm
@contrex,
My guess (again) is that if the word is still used anywhere, it's in the southern US.

From what I see on FB, similar language is still in regular use in some populations there (and Kentucky is an area that spawns some comments that make me blink when it comes to casual racism).
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:00 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Would anyone under 60 or 70 years of age - who isn't a language nerd - know that?

I don't think you have to be a language nerd. I have seen it in plenty of American novels of various vintages, and I heard a school friend's father say it in 1969 approx, all the way over here in England.

A quick Google:

1. Memoirs of a Winner by Gary Ward Scott (2007)

"Some time later it was disparagingly called "jigaboo" music. Kids seven or eight years my junior were already tuning in to the Negro radio stations late at ..."

2. Blacks in the Army Air Forces During World War II: The Problems of Race by Alan M. Osur (1986)

"... the use of uncomplimentary names such as "jigaboo" and "nigger" instilled resentment; there was a great emotional conflict over interracial dating; ..."

There's Colorado hip-hop artists Jeff Campbell's one-man show, Who Killed Jigaboo Jones?

http://images.westword.com/imager/b/original/5707107/3540/100413_jigaboo_001.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:02 pm
@contrex,
yeah but you're a word nerd

seriously

Some people have such limited vocabularies and so little interest in language that it's becomes boring to speak with them.
contrex

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:33 pm
I am intrigued by her assertion that "she didn't even know it was a word".
ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:33 pm
@contrex,
You're much nicer than I am.

I'd just call it a lie.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:34 pm
@contrex,
hopefully someone IRL has rolled their eyes at her
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:35 pm
I can honestly say that although I have a very vague recollection of hearing or reading the word before (yeeeears ago) I had not a clue as to its origins.

0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:38 pm
Had never heard the word before.
Did Capel know that it was offensive? Unless something shows up to prove otherwise we are left with her being taken upon her own word.

Deeper search found her background traces back to Cleveland Ohio: http://www.fox8.com/author/kristi-capel/
"Kristi is excited to be at Fox 8! She co-anchors with Wayne Dawson and Stefani Schaefer on 'Fox 8 News In the Morning.'

Kristi grew up in Northern Kentucky, graduating from Heritage Academy; but, she does have some roots here in Cleveland. Her father grew up in Bedford and graduated from Bedford High School. Kristi's grandparents owned a store in Bedford called, 'Capel's Country Corner,' which some of you may remember
."

As to Florence Kentucky it's a short distance southwest of Cincinnati, not quite the deep deep south, although I'm sure there may be some down there, as just about anywhere, who exhibit racist language, attitude and behavior.

As for other parts...I find the thread title sort of misleading. Yeah, she is a Fox anchor, however being an anchor on a local station (Cleveland, Ohio) does not mean the station in general is following the same weirdities of the Fox News Network thing.

Apparently she was once known as America's Hottest Weather Anchor: http://www.bustedcoverage.com/2008/01/24/kristi-capel-is-americas-hottest-weather-anchor/
roger

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:43 pm
I'm familiar with the word, but have no idea if she did. It seems odd that she would suddenly create such a word out of thin air.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:47 pm
I've known that word all my life. And I think Archie Bunker used it at least once. I would not employ a person who talks like that.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 03:48 pm
@Sturgis,
what a fine young lady

educated at a Christian academy and attending Evangel University on a volleyball scholarship

http://heritageacademy.hfcus.com/alumni/

Quote:
Kristi Capel Hula Class of 2001

Kristi attend Evangel University on a volleyball scholarship, earning a degree in Broadcasting and Communications along with Public Relations. After graduating from college, she won the title of ‘Miss Missouri USA 2006,’ and had the opportunity to represent Missouri at the 2006 Miss USA Pageant. Currently, Kristi can be seen daily on her morning show entitled “Fox 8 News in the Morning” in Cleveland, Ohio.

she knows it's a word Rolling Eyes
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 06:32 pm
@ehBeth,
she's got no excuse, unless she admits that her mom made a deal with satan to give her daughter extreme hotness in exchange for any measurable intelligence.
Don't kid yourelf, it was scripted as a test to find out how much **** hotness can get away -with
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 06:46 pm
I didn't even know who this goofy ditz is, so i had to go look her up. More proof, which was not needed, that one can make a career in broadcast "journalism" without a brain or a clue.
farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 09:43 pm
@Setanta,
The latest trend is to buy up all these really great looking girls and then give them pundit responsibilities based upon a series of transparent chops.
They look great on camera so they can say any stupid thing they wish and still have people believe them. Both Fox and CNN have their "chickies" and their numbers seem to be getting like clots of partisan lemmings.
Weather girls even have "uniforms". Is it jut me, but I see the "broadcast meteorologists" seem to be dressed in the wrap around costumes that could, if it were still on the air, be used as Enterprise Uniforms all you needed was a Starfleet badge at the cleavage.

Ive been on the road a bit and the Southern female meteorologists on TV look more like Daisy Dukes .

I don't mind the look but Jeez-Loueez, how bout some searches for talent that doesn't involve only a swim suit competition.
Are they stamping em out in some lab in Dubuque?
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 09:57 pm
@farmerman,
I noticed the same thing in Houston. That's why I was surprised when one station demoted one of these Daisys to put on a very heavy middle aged man. But Daisy went to the station next door and got the same work, so everybody is happy.
0 Replies

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 04:13 am
I've heard the word before. It's deeply racist. I know someone who brought back a tape of racist songs from America in the early 80s just to let us know what it was like over there.

One of the songs was called N**** hating me.

It uses the word a lot and says MLK has a 'baboon mouth,' which basically sums up the whole song. It's inconceivable that anyone could use that word and not know what it means. This is the same Fox News that employed an "expert" to say Birmingham was 100% Moslem, a no go area for non Moslems and practiced Sharia Law, as did Tottenham.
djjd62

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 06:46 am
Fox anchor uses J-word about Lady Gaga's music

Jackass?

Jackoff?

Jugalo?

Jingoistic?

1. Forums
  2. » Fox anchor uses J-word about Lady Gaga's music
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 09:55:53