Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 04:30 pm
Am a 44 y o construction laborer, must wear internal metatarsal guard boots and MUST buy them off THEIR truck if you want to work there. Got 4 kids so can't lose my job. Am a big guy wear size 15 EEEE boots but biggest I can get there is 12 EE. They hurt my feet real, real bad.The foreman told me wear a rubber mouth guard and when boots hurt bad BITE DOWN HARD on it but that doesn't help enough.What else can I do to make it ease up a little?

roger

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 04:39 pm
@tighter-boots,
Love your foreman.

Get them thoroughly wet, put them on, and walk in them till they are dry. Repeat if necessary. When you are done they will fit better, but that's asking for a lot of stretching. Also, when you are done, the boots will look like hell. So will your feet.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 04:48 pm
@tighter-boots,
Take them to a local shoe repair shop and ask them to do what they can to stretch them for you.

It will save the wear and torment on your feet if you try to do it as suggested by others.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2015 04:56 pm
@tighter-boots,
Quote:
Take them to a local shoe repair shop and ask them to do what they can to stretch them for you.

A half size might be able to be stretched.., but stretching 3 sizes and to go from EE width to EEEE is impossible. Furthermore, safety boots can't be stretched well at all...due to steel toe and metal arch etc.

Those boots are not something your can wear. Doubt you could get them on your feet.

Sorry but haven't you got a union representative? C'mon what's missing here from this story? You're a construction worker with no safety boots prior to this?

If you wear a 15 EEEE size, there's no way to make those 12 EE boots fit. Can't happen.

What have you been wearing up until now? You may have to wear boots that you purchase yourself if they don't have your size. A reasonable situation would be they'd reimburse you. The Human Resources dep't person and/or union rep can advise you what to do.

What does HR or union rep say about this?
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 01:38 pm
It would be unhealthy and bad for your feet to wear boots that are so small.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 02:11 pm
Tell your foreman to get in some 15EEEE boots for you or you're going to sue the company.

What are you? An indentured servant?

I have to wonder what other kinds of shananigans this foreman is up to.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 02:29 pm
@tighter-boots,
If the foreman had spoken to me like that I would have put his lights out.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 05:48 pm
@tighter-boots,
Place one of your gigantic hands on either side of foreman's head.
Lift slowly until he changes his mind,
Repeat, as necessary.
neologist

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 05:50 pm
@neologist,
Or, so long as you have bought their boots, what prevents you from wearing your boots?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 06:16 pm
@neologist,
That's an interesting idea to bring up.
Might not get anywhere, though.

My view is - don't wreck your feet for a job. Life is long. I understand having a family to feed, and how stressful that is.

Also, whoever mentioned a union suing about this may well be right, but there might be other agencies to check in with. This smells of illegality.
Consider a non-profit attorney group.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 06:22 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Or, so long as you have bought their boots, what prevents you from wearing your boots?

MacGyver!
0 Replies