Please grade my SAR about JC and Ozymandias.

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:37 pm
This talkin' about the similarity of Ozymandias and Caesar, please give me some advice. !! Thank you:)

The depiction of the character Julius Caesar and Ozymandias, are both pretentious. From the play Julius Caesar, Caesar said “Et tu, Brute? Then fall Caesar” after stabbed by his best friend Brutus, likewise Ozymandias engraved “My name is Ozymandias, king of kings” on the pedestal of his colossal statue. Notably, they both mentioned their names in their sentence, name is the identification of us as an unique individual that makes us recognizable in the first place. These sentence made by the character themselves clearly revealed their personality by emphasizing the “extraordinariness” of their own. In particular, Caesar’s sentence implies he falls, both as a man and a god. In conclusion, the similarity of Ozymandias and Caesar, is that, they put themselves on the “tip-top” place over the others as they were born with supremeness.

TheSubliminalKid

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:56 pm
@bless61752,
Supremacy, not supremeness. They're totally different. "Et Tu Brute" shows Caesar's despair in finding that the person he thought was his closest ally has betrayed him. He was the one person he thought would stay loyal, and it shows how comprehensive his betrayal is.

Shelley's Ozimandias shows the transient nature of power, in that someone. who could build a huge colossus and terrorise nations, is now just a point of reference in a history book. The colossus is just a pair of legs, and they're on their way out. There is nothing left for the mighty to despair of.
TheSubliminalKid

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 07:06 pm
Btw 134 words is hardly a report, to call it such is in itself pretentious.
bless61752

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 08:59 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
It's a Short Answer Respond for my school quiz, so it's meant to be "Short".... Smile

I'm really appreciate for your applies, thank you !
0 Replies

bless61752

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 09:06 am
@TheSubliminalKid,
I still think they are similar in a particular way, for example... the shift of power. After Caesar's death, the power of his shifted to his nephew who later known as Augustus ( or Octavian, if you prefer); and the power of Ozymandias has been replaced by some sort of Egyptian dynasty.... or a modern country.
Anyways! the purpose of these two pieces have a hidden cautionary purpose... to inform us no matter how powerful you are at your time period, it is eventually going to be replaced or faded away.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 10:08 am
@bless61752,
But obviously everyone knows who Julius Caesar is. No one has ever heard of Ozymandias (in the poem).

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 11:06 am
@chai2,
The poem was written in response to part of Ozymandias' statue being found and brought to the British museum, so at the time he was rather well remembered. Osymandias is also Rameses II who is popularised in all the films about Moses.

Both Caesar and Ozymandias were great generals who much expanded their respective empires. Caesar was assassinated but Ozymandias lived well into old age.
0 Replies

oristarA

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 11:24 am
Does “Et tu, Brute? Then fall Caesar” mean "what? You beast? May the emperor of Roman fall"?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 11:33 am
@oristarA,
No. It means "And you Brutus? Now I really am dead."

Don't add suggestions, this is clearly way beyond your understanding. All you can do is muddy the waters and confuse things.

Some of us, who actually know a bit about Shakespeare, and Shelley, are trying to help.
izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 01:01 pm
@bless61752,
bless61752 wrote:

I still think they are similar in a particular way, for example... the shift of power. After Caesar's death, the power of his shifted to his nephew who later known as Augustus ( or Octavian, if you prefer); and the power of Ozymandias has been replaced by some sort of Egyptian dynasty.... or a modern country.

That's not exactly true, after Caesar's death there was a series of conflicts, and for a while Rome was ruled by a Triumvirate, (Lepidus, Octavian and Mark Anthony.) Octavian didn't secure power until he defeated Anthony at the Battle of Actium. So there was 13 years or so of conflict.

bless61752 wrote:
Anyways! the purpose of these two pieces have a hidden cautionary purpose... to inform us no matter how powerful you are at your time period, it is eventually going to be replaced or faded away.

Agreed, although I think you could choose a better quotation than Et Tu Brute.

How about;

As Caesar loved me, I weep for him;
as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was
valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I
slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his
fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his
ambition.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 04:40 pm
@oristarA,
Et tu, Brute? is latin for "and you, Brutus?"

Brutus was a friend of Julius, but he participated in his assassination. Supposedly they were the last word Julius spoke, basically saying "You too Brutus?"

Caesar was killed by a group of senators, on March 15, year 44 AD. They had hidden knifes on them and stabbed him multiple times.

Legend has it he had been warned by a soothsayer (an oracle, or fortune teller) to "Beware the Ides of March" The ides of a month meant the middle.
chai2

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 04:42 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Don't add suggestions, this is clearly way beyond your understanding. All you can do is muddy the waters and confuse things.

wow.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 04:45 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

bless61752 wrote:

That's not exactly true, after Caesar's death there was a series of conflicts, and for a while Rome was ruled by a Triumvirate, (Lepidus, Octavian and Mark Anthony.) Octavian didn't secure power until he defeated Anthony at the Battle of Actium. So there was 13 years or so of conflict.

bless61752 wrote:

Agreed, although I think you could choose a better quotation than Et Tu Brute.

How about;

As Caesar loved me, I weep for him;
as he was fortunate, I rejoice at it; as he was
valiant, I honour him: but, as he was ambitious, I
slew him. There is tears for his love; joy for his
fortune; honour for his valour; and death for his
ambition.

Talk about muddying the waters from the original question/statement.

So your know your Shakespeare.

ok
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 06:30 pm
@chai2,
You're being pedantic, Et =And Tu= You. You can interpret that how you want. The sense is that he knew the game was up when Brutus, one of his most loyal supporters had joined the rebellion. You could also interpret it as even you Brutus, but the literal translation is And You Brutus.

If, as the OP has suggested, you're looking for a quotation that suggests the transient nature of power, like Ozymandias, my suggestion is more appropriate than Et Tu Brute.
bless61752

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 06:47 pm
@oristarA,
No it's originally mean "You too, Brutus?"
0 Replies

bless61752

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 06:50 pm
@izzythepush,
Thank you ! I'm so glad that this answer is very specific and useful.
but the quote you gave was actually too long to fit into my paper Smile
bless61752

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 06:56 pm
@bless61752,
For my purpose to put "Eu tu, Brute?" in this excerpt was intended to illustrate something like even you, Brutus? even you betrayed me? Caesar? I was trying to emphasize the way Caesar put himself as the center of universe.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2015 09:22 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

You're being pedantic,

No, that's not the issue I'm having. Not with the translation.

It was your saying "Don't add suggestions, this is clearly way beyond your understanding. All you can do is muddy the waters and confuse things."

I was simply very surprised you spoke to orister like that. I don't know if the implication is different in England, but here, saying something "is clearly way beyond your understanding" is telling someone they are not only stupid, that that they would never be able to comprehend. Saying that just excluded orister from having the option of having anything at all to say

I'm hoping that's not what you meant. It just doesn't seem like you to be that way.

Sorry, but you looked way too deeply into my comment.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 02:31 am
@chai2,
You don't know our history. We had a massive falling out when I told him that the decline in Christianity in Britain had nothing to do with Thomas Jefferson and the American Revolution. I, and others, provided loads of evidence to prove otherwise but Oristar took exception at his pet theory being wrong. He became very nasty and personal, so I stopped helping him. Prior to that I had helped him a lot.

So when he comes along and says something else equally ridiculous, 'What you beast,' for example, he gets short shrift. It is clearly over his head.

And he clearly couldn't comprehend that the decline of Christianity in Britain has little if anything to do with Thomas Jefferson.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2015 02:32 am
@bless61752,
You could just quote the bit in bold.
0 Replies