Few or a few

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:42 am
Hello,

I would like to know whether this sentence is correct. If not, please explain to me why. Smile

'Only a few critics appreciated the novelist's innovative stle while he was still alive.'

Thanks in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,193 • Replies: 24
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:02 am
@lewciooo1,
Lew I might delete "Only a…"
I might've writ, "…while he lived" or "…before his death"
0 Replies

layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 01:42 pm
@lewciooo1,
I don't really know the rule or the rationale, so I could well be wrong, but I think the following two sentences would be correct current useage:

1. Only a few critics appreciated...

2. Few critics appreciated.

I believe the difference arises because "few" can be used in either a (relatively) absolute sense or a relative sense.

By "absolute" sense, I mean that "a few" is often used to indicate a small number (at least three, but maybe four or five--its not always specific).

By relative sense I mean something like a small "percentage," say 10%. 10% is a small percentage, but, that said, 10% of 100,000 (potential critics) would still be 10,000 who "appreciated."

"a few" means 3 or 4 generally.

Few, without the "a," is used in a relative sense.

But, again, don't trust me if anything important is at stake. Otherwise, I think if you use it that way, it would be generally understood.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 01:48 pm
@layman,
Gotta give you credit, Lay. Possibly are you a teacher
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 01:56 pm
"A few" does not mean any particular number (not 3 or 4 or any other semi-precise quantity). It means "some" or "a handful". The connotation is "not an insignificantly small number, but not an overwhelmingly large number either".

Examples:

"A few of us plan to visit our friend in the hospital later today." [Some of us plan to visit our friend in the hospital later today.]

"You can take a few of the brochures." [You can take some of the brochures.]

"Few" means "virtually none" or "almost zero". The connotation is "an insignificantly small number".

Examples:

"Few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work." [Only a small number of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work.]

"She left the last few pieces of candy for her friend." [She left only a small number of candies for her friend.]

Other words can further modify the meaning of "a few" and "few." For example, "quite a few" changes the meaning of "a few" from some to many: "Quite a few people attended the party." In other words, many people attended the party.

Similarly, "very few" or "only a few" emphasizes just how few things or people are being discussed: "She used very few [or only a few] buttons on her art project." In other words, she didn't use many buttons at all.

layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 03:23 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
"A few of us plan to visit our friend in the hospital later today." [Some of us plan to visit our friend in the hospital later today.

Overall, contrex's answer is more complete than, and therefore preferable to, mine, but I don't agree that the word "some" captures the meaning of "few."

You would use "some" in many cases where it would not be appropriate to say "few," at least as far as usage that I'm familiar with goes.

I agree that "few" does not have a precise numerical meaning (more than two, or else you would just say "a couple," but beyond that, nothing very specific). But the I think the connotation is always either "small" or "relatively small." "Some" could mean 80% or 90% (or more) of a thing. "Some" can simply mean "less than ALL." "Few" would NOT be used in such a case (again, as I understand it, but I don't pretend to be any expert).
layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:00 pm
@layman,
Of course the OP did not ask for a definition of "few." He asked for guidance when deciding whether to use "a few" versus "few" alone.

I still think that "a few" connotes a particular, even if unstated, number which is small as opposed to merely a small proportion (where the "a" would be dropped).
layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:24 pm
@layman,
Therefore, either of the following two sentences could be correct, but they would mean two different things:

1. Few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work.

2. A few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work."
contrex

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:50 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Overall, contrex's answer is more complete than, and therefore preferable to, mine, but I don't agree that the word "some" captures the meaning of "few."

I didn't say that it did; I said that "some" captures the meaning of the two word phrase "a few". There is a difference between "few" and "a few".
contrex

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:54 pm
@layman,
layman wrote:
Therefore, either of the following two sentences could be correct, but they would mean two different things:

Either could be correct, and, yes, they mean two different things:

1. Few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work. [A vanishingly small number of us would rather be sick...]

2. A few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work. [some of us would rather be sick...]
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 04:56 pm
"Few" on its own is emphasising the smallness of a very small quantity; "a few" is not.
layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 05:03 pm
@contrex,
I suppose we're just talking past each other, but maybe not. Somehow I don't see this statement as being quite right:

Quote:
"Few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work." [Only a small number of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work.]

To me, that would not necessarily be just a "handful." If the "us" being referred to was all the people on the planet, then the absolute number being implied could still be millions.

Again, to me, this statement would imply that it's "merely a handful" (i.e., an absolute as opposed to a merely proportional number):

"A few of us would rather be sick with a cold than go to work."

layman

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 05:10 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
Few" on its own is emphasising the smallness of a very small quantity; "a few" is not.

Obviously, we disagree. But, for all I know, we're both wrong.
contrex

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:42 am
@layman,
Type "few a few difference" into Google, and read what dictionaries and grammar books and sites have to say.
contrex

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 01:52 am
@layman,
layman wrote:
Quote:

To me, that would not necessarily be just a "handful." If the "us" being referred to was all the people on the planet, then the absolute number being implied could still be millions.

No. It could not.
layman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 02:19 am
@contrex,
Quote:
Type "few a few difference" into Google, and read what dictionaries and grammar books and sites have to say

OK.

Here's a website that outlines the meaning of "few" that I'm referring to:

Quote:
Few is used to express the idea that the number you are saying is smaller than what you would like or expect, that it is ‘not enough.’

Notice that a contrast is implied--not "inherently small," but small compared to something else (expectations in this example). This corresponds to the "few critics appreciated" formulation used in the OP.

Quote:
Antarctica has a small population – there are few people there

Here again, the connotation is simply "relatively small." Compared to other continents, the population in Antarctica is indeed very small, but it is not a small number in any absolute sense (like 3, 4, or 5). The number of people "there" (primarily scientists) numbers in the thousands.

http://getintoenglish.com/english-grammar-a-few-and-few/#sthash.H8Dok0j2.dpuf

I also saw the website which you quoted virtually verbatim, and it does indeed say what you said. But where I'm from, the word is not necessarily restricted to what that source says (although it can be used in that sense).

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:08 am
@contrex,
Lay, Con, I'm deeply impressed and wondering what you fellas have in common, hoping I might catch some of it
layman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:13 am
@dalehileman,
Dale, I'm not sure we really have anything in common. It seems to me that contrex will always find a way to disagree with almost anything I say. According him I am "austisic" and people like me are "a dime a dozen," if I recall his characterizations of me correctly.
dalehileman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:20 am
@layman,
What I'd like to catch, Lay, is that unremitting willingness to persist
layman

Reply Wed 18 Feb, 2015 11:22 am
@dalehileman,
Heh, Dale, from what I've seen, that is one quality which you are NOT lacking.