What is the best hardwood for home furniture?

Mon 16 Feb, 2015 04:52 am
I was planning to renovate my house from last few months. Want to know about best wood that will be suitable for windows and doors. Also give me suggestion about sofa set and kitchen furniture?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 27 • Views: 16,261 • Replies: 31
Topic Closed

RoyceMackenzie

Wed 4 Mar, 2015 07:01 am
@alexhigins,
There are at least 24 different types of furniture woods. It really depends on your taste, budget and home settings. Look at the following article to find some of your options.

Edit [Moderator]: Link removed
0 Replies

Maxbond

Mon 13 Apr, 2015 05:28 am
There are various types of hardwood available in a market.But Western red cedar and Alder are the best hardwood for home furniture.
0 Replies

diz52

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 02:38 pm
teak is definitely the best... its actually meant for outdoor furniture.its higly durable and is especially known for it...
roger

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:02 pm
@diz52,
For outdoor furniture, I imagine you are right, though you have fairly expensive taste.
0 Replies

farmerman

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:30 pm
@alexhigins,
An outside door, if you go with wood, go mahogany(SOLID). Outdoor furniture, cypress and doug fir are cheaper alternatives)
For window frames , Id suggest hard maple (Takes paint nicely) and Id really have it clad in some kind of acrylic facing out.

I redid a rowboat with cypress seats about 10 years ago an we beat the **** out of it and it sits out all winter. The cypress , I just power washed it, scrubbed it, brought it into a barn to dry, then resanded and polyd it. It looks like new.

I love cypress, its a water grown wood so its learned to del with moisture.

Its amazingly stable . Only thing, it has a boring grain, its like a very stable poplar.

NO oak, itll rot in 2 years if you live in a temperate area with 45" of annual rain or more.

Anyway, even if your present sills are rotten you can make wood stabilizers . (I made one out of epoxy glue and xylene that works just as good as any commercial wood hardener)

farmerman

Tue 9 Jun, 2015 03:37 pm
@farmerman,
Indoor furniture, if youre going to feature the wood, Id suggest an "Arts n Crafts" look with fumed red oak or walnut.

Other woods are good but Arts n Crafts liked to use heartwood oak , quarter sawn boards that were pieced together and pegged. They like to show off the handiwork.
And "fuming" was exposing the finished piece to a chemical atmosphere (like iron salts in a sulfuric acid "fume"). It really is neat looking but its an art that youd have to learn.

What part of the country are you in?

ever look for a woodwork guild? guys who are hobbyists are always happy to share and teach. Ive learned so many new skills from guys (and women) woodworkers that I cant tak em all enough.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Wed 10 Jun, 2015 11:47 am
@farmerman,
That's kind of cute that your earnestly answering an obvious call and response spammer. Check out his profile page. He works for a furniture company. It's stated in his email address.
Quote:
info@l[ugnut]furniture.com
farmerman

Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:14 pm
@tsarstepan,
It was 3 AM. Do you go to profiles before you answer? I get all ecited about wood (Lets say I sport wood quite frequently). Noboys round here iseem to be into manly stuff like fishing, hunting, woodworking etc. Everyone is into movies, are foodies, and are concerned about stuff that doesnt really matter.
tsarstepan

Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:23 pm
@farmerman,
Call me an a2k but yes. For these types of questions? I do a modicum of due diligence by checking out if they filled out their profile page with obvious clues they're supporting commercial ventures and the like.

The irony is their questions make them look really really incompetent once you see they work in an industry where they already NEED to know the answer to their own questions.
farmerman

Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:26 pm
@tsarstepan,
I have to go look at their page, unless jes already pulled it.
Do we pull pages or do we let em just get buried with subsequent pge titles??

Psst, Ts ok, I got kicked off a fuckin woodworking page about 8 years ago when I called someone an idiot for not knowing how to dovetail.
farmerman

Wed 10 Jun, 2015 01:34 pm
@farmerman,
HMMM actually, their furniture was not all that disgusting. It was NOT what Id call MISSION Style (Arts n Crfts). It was quite derivative like Sam Maloof meets IKEA.
The prices seem more reasonable than if you made it yourself and the details are quite craftsmanlike (Unless its airbrushed).
I cansee M&T's , double tails, slip lock M&T jointery, and peg reveals. (course , they could be screws covered with wooden pegs.

The wood looks pretty decent. SO, I found a website, mybe Ill write em and ask for a catalogue
0 Replies

Emma Taylor

Fri 19 Jun, 2015 06:22 am
@alexhigins,
Hardwood originates from deciduous trees, rather than softwoods, which originate from coniferous trees. Most hardwoods are extremely durable and heavy. Certain types of hardwood are particularly popular in furniture development like Mahogany, Oak, Maple, Cherry, Walnut, Beech etc. Maple is one of the best among all that, a light-colored hardwood known for its capacity to resist shock and its highly durable quality. Walnut is also solid and hard without being unreasonably overwhelming a straight grain and completes well.
0 Replies

JuanitaMiller

Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:28 am
That's good....!!!!!
There are varieties of furniture available on the market at affordable prices. Or I suggest you to search online according to your requirements.
0 Replies

CynthiaGaines

Tue 21 Jul, 2015 07:22 am
Custom shapes, sizes, grille patterns, exterior colors, and many more things give a perfect look. Certain types of hardwood are especially popular in furniture construction like Oak, Mahogany, Cherry and Walnut.
farmerman

Tue 21 Jul, 2015 05:50 pm
@CynthiaGaines,
while several woods have unique prperties, it is really the craftsmanship of the carpenters and cabinetmakers that decide what is "the best"
George Nakashima took old ratty pieces of split oak nd walnut and crafted some very beautiful cretions from them. Meanwhile some really incompetent carpenter can turn out arbage even though hes using some of the most beautiful pieces of quilted maple.

Craftsmanship over materials anyday.
Ive seen some really great pieces of colonial painted furniture made from lowly poplar (or basswood to you)
0 Replies

adamserisier

Mon 21 Sep, 2015 04:17 am
@alexhigins,
I completely agree with @JuanitaMiller
0 Replies

gungasnake

Thu 24 Sep, 2015 05:35 am
@alexhigins,
Teak or rosewood.
zieshashey

Wed 30 Sep, 2015 02:49 am
@gungasnake,
Rosewood Wooden is best among teak and rosewood.
0 Replies

ShelbyPerez

Wed 7 Oct, 2015 03:18 am
@alexhigins,
The extensively used hardwoods are: oak and mahogany. Cedar is also a good option.
0 Replies