Why Has 50 Shades of Grey Blown Up So Big?

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 12:14 am
My theory is that we are sick of the legalistic killjoys constantly running around selling victim culture and "MEN SUCK!" , that we are erotically parched. For all the worry about girls dressing like sluts or the constant bombardment of sex angles from Madison Ave we are actually pretty prudish most of us (not me though). This gives us a thrill that most of our lives are missing.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 5,829 • Replies: 63

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:56 am
What say I?

I think that some adults like action movies, some like love stories, some like obscure foreign films with serious looking people spouting philosophical jibberish, and some like to occasionally go and see erotic knobs and knockers on screen.

Nothing highbrow there, and nothing sinister or political.
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 01:22 pm
a certain quote most often (but wrongly) attributed to one P.T. Barnum best sums it up
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 01:44 pm
Is it the remark often attributed to Lew Grade, founder and for a long time CEO of the UK Granada TV channel, or HL Mencken: "Nobody ever lost money/went broke by underestimating the intelligence of the British/American public"? Did Barnum say it first?

Whatever the original really was, many people have produced creative variants. Among the many things that nobody (or no one) ever went broke (or lost money) by underestimating are these:

the insecurities of gay consumers
the gullibility of Facebook users
the need of Americans for the Effortless Solution
the vapidity of the American news media
the anxiety women feel about getting married
the desperation of composers
the Bush administration's capacity for doing the wrong thing
Tony Romo's ability to absolutely puke away winnable games
the intolerance levels of the Daily Mail readership
the motivation of The American Freshman
students' calculational skills
the Christmas single market
the spine of congressional democrats

And among the many things that nobody ever went broke by overestimating:

the neurotic stupidity of Floridians
the foolishness of any given group of people
the laziness of the American public
the gullibility of the American public
the racism of Today's GOP
the self-absorption of the Democratic Party
the vulgarity of the American people
how bad people could be
the heartfelt panic that the average woman feels about her body
Americans' ability to value fantasy over reality
the treason of the democrat party
the desperate unhappiness of the American public
the political knowledge of the people

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 02:08 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

What say I?

I think that some adults like action movies, some like love stories, some like obscure foreign films with serious looking people spouting philosophical jibberish, and some like to occasionally go and see erotic knobs and knockers on screen.

Nothing highbrow there, and nothing sinister or political.

What about my theory, that tI is taking erotic imaginations on a highly desired ride? If the writing is as bad as I hear it is them maybe " highly desired" is not strong enough given how many people read it anyways. And the
biggest feb movie opening ever??!! This is anything but routine.
djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:06 pm
@contrex,
Barnum has been credited with, "There's a sucker born every minute", pretty much the same idea as your quote

"There's a sucker born every minute" is a phrase most likely spoken by David Hannum, in criticism of both P. T. Barnum, an American showman of the mid 1800s, and his customers. The phrase is often credited to Barnum himself. It means "Many people are gullible, and we can expect this to continue."
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:09 pm
@hawkeye10,
as for box office returns, who knows what drives that, millions of idiots lined up multiple times to see Titanic and somehow Adam Sandler continues to make money

go figure
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:13 pm
@djjd62,
Yep, Adam Sandler.

Has me totally stumped as well.

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:35 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Yep, Adam Sandler.

Has me totally stumped as well.

A sony executive said in the hack that sandler is a no talent washed up hack, and the best weekend he ever had was $58 million for The Longest Yard. 50 shades just did $85 million, in a month that is not usually good box office.

Not apples to apples .
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
taking erotic imaginations on a highly desired ride?

The desired ride seems to be dime-store gushing bodice-ripper romance, of the type devoured by lonely spinsters, with a frosting of sanitized S and M.
maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 03:43 pm
@contrex,
I am going to go see "50 Shades of Grey" ... for the same reason I saw "The Interview". I don't like it when North Koreans or Feminists tell me what I should or shouldn't see.

From what I hear "50 Shades of Grey" is the better movie of the two.

contrex

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 04:49 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:
I don't like it when North Koreans or Feminists tell me what I should or shouldn't see.

Why do you spell 'Feminists' with a capital F?
maxdancona

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 08:39 pm
@contrex,
Same reason I spell North Koreans with a capital N and and capital K, I guess. Any group that can get me to watch a movie deserves to be capitalized.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 16 Feb, 2015 10:45 pm
From a review of the film on Forbes, 3 days ago:

Quote:
Let me say this clearly so I drive the point home: most of their conversations revolve around, or end up coming back to, him trying to convince her to sign a contract with him stipulating sexual domination and lack of romance or emotional love.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2015/02/13/review-fifty-shades-of-grey-is-abusive-gender-roles-disguised-as-faux-feminism/2/

Guess some people are turned on by a lack of warmth in others.

That's the lesson to drawn.
Kolyo

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 01:04 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:

That's the lesson to drawn.

"That's the lesson to BE drawn." I meant to say.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 11:58 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

My theory is that we are sick of the legalistic killjoys constantly running around selling victim culture and "MEN SUCK!" , that we are erotically parched. For all the worry about girls dressing like sluts or the constant bombardment of sex angles from Madison Ave we are actually pretty prudish most of us (not me though). This gives us a thrill that most of our lives are missing.

What say you?

Once again, your confusion confuses me.
Quote:
EL James's controversial erotic fiction trilogy Fifty Shades of Grey has entered the all-time top-selling books list with a total worldwide sale of 100 million copies. At the peak of its popularity, one book was being sold every second somewhere in the world.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/50-shades-grey-joins-top-10-bestselling-books-how-many-have-you-read-1438234
That's the only needed answer for this question. It's an insanely popular literary phenomenon.

Quote:
My theory is that we are sick of the legalistic killjoys constantly running around selling victim culture and "MEN SUCK!"

This statement means one thing and one thing only. You have absolutely NO idea what you're babbling about. Nothing new there. The biggest audience for this film and the books are women. Not men. Which basically is counter to your antifeminist/promale worldview.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 12:02 pm
@maxdancona,
maxdancona wrote:

I am going to go see "50 Shades of Grey" ... for the same reason I saw "The Interview". I don't like it when North Koreans or Feminists tell me what I should or shouldn't see.

From what I hear "50 Shades of Grey" is the better movie of the two.

The Interview (2014), Score 53% overall, 39% critics score
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_interview_2014/
50 Shades of DooDoo (2015), Score 26% overall, 33% critics score
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/fifty_shades_of_grey/
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 12:02 pm
@tsarstepan,
Perhaps not, maybe the popularity of this franchise with women shows that women are not interested in what the feminists are selling.

All accounts that I have seen indicate that men dont like it, but the reason is not clear.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 12:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

All accounts that I have seen indicate that men dont like it, but the reason is not clear.

Shitty chick flick movie adapted from even shittier chick lit source? Are you that blind? The reason isn't that well hidden and obscure.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 12:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
Apparently 50 Shade's a bit of a Harlequin romance and could be safely seen on television.

Not strong enough for friends of mine who went to see it.

Secretary is still the film of choice among my BDSM friends. FB is full of discussion of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secretary_%282002_film%29
0 Replies