Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

Gwutzi

Reply Thu 15 Dec, 2016 10:43 pm
Under all consideration, one has to come to the conclusion that the world would be worse without religion, seen that most are moral based institutions to help and correct in a more private setting at large. But because of conquest and conquering, mankind has seemed it to be good to battle itself out for the sake of gain and enlargement of there various religious aspects. Of which most dont reflect there religious nature at all. So is the world or would the world be better of without religion. I'd say it be the same when not worse. The only thing that changed because of with religion is the louder noise was made, Take religion out of the equation and you get the same boom without its explosive force and ignition. But this is what religion does, it can strengthen and weaken. And for the most part sadly said it strengthen and weaken the wrong parts of mankind, which is to say it propelled ego into higher grounds and morality into lower ones.
So would the world be better without religion... id say it lessened the world of been as nasty as it could have been after and once to the conclusion to when the world has grown itself past the difficulties and wrong perspectives of religious and moreover or rather of spiritual nature.
The analogy here is as it happens on a daily human nature... We eat food and we sh*t it out.... so also with religion .. it is consumed and the dung we dump out... of course we could use the dung as fertilizer in prospects considered, but not many know or deal with doing so in there lifes.. this is the aspect of spirituality and religion as it teaches.. we eat and sh*t... who will really makes sure it is used as fertilizer for a benefit past just being around on the streets and the ground.... some occupation is to get rid of dung,.. and its not only of that but that of garbage itself as well.. recycle and recycling ... one mankind learns to respect the world or the earth in general. we would not have such mess like respecting each other and respecting life overall, Then anything can be used to better rather then to see how the world witnesses itself to all things... the world will never do good by things... the earth tho hopes it will cuz the world will not worry about life... the earth does which blossoms with flowers and give grass and food to eat for the animals inasmuch for human kind...
north

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 03:22 am
@Gwutzi,

What religion holds Humanity as its priority ?

None .

Leadfoot

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:23 pm
@north,
Haven't you heard of 'Humanism'? It has all the hallmarks of religion and has a God - Us.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 01:43 pm
@north,
Religion only wants good soldiers and 10%. If the church has 100 good soldiers, the priest lives much better than his flock.
0 Replies

catbeasy

Reply Sun 18 Dec, 2016 02:03 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Haven't you heard of 'Humanism'? It has all the hallmarks of religion and has a God - Us.

While I don't doubt there are various individuals who might describe themselves as a God, this is not the hallmark of humanism. Humanism makes human beings a priority, that is not the same as being a God, if we take the classical definition of God. Of course, that very lack of a definition even on the religious side makes this difficult to discuss as a comparison..

However, will ask you - where do you get your definition of humanism from? Have you read the books that define what humanism is? Rogers? Maslow? May? Fromm? Jung?

If not, would encourage you. Not one of those books define us anything close to being a God. In fact, they do the opposite, defining us as flawed due to the unique factors that make up our up-bringing. Part of the process then in becoming more 'human' is overcoming those flaws through self-awareness, selflessness and other things. It also denies worship of other human beings and the self, in favour of loving the self and others..

There may be aspects of humanism that are religious-like, but being like a God? Not even close..that is a definition imposed from religious people - coming from within their own world-view framework. But humanism actually has a real-world definition. A real referent. It does not need classic religion to define it..
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 08:39 am
@catbeasy,
Quote:
Humanism makes human beings a priority, that is not the same as being a God
Can't anybody here have a one to one conversation about what they believe without making assumptions about whatever 'religion' you think they might embrace?

Yeah, I get the thing about Humanists prioritizing humans. (that would be 'us')

I have previously defined God as whatever you put in first place (a priority) in your life. I can't think of a more objective definition than that. It works whether you are a believer or not.

If you want to embrace some religious definition of 'God' that's OK, just specify it if you want.

catbeasy

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 11:41 am
@Leadfoot,
That's fair enough if you want to begin to add things to the definition of humanism. But that's not fair to humanism. It has a pretty specific definition and adding 'God' into that equation seriously conflates it. Especially when the majority of people by far do not define God as that you put first. For many that would include their newborns, their children, their spouse etc.

I guess that's why I think of God as having some kind of religious definition. I do think that you can allow for differing definitions of God, however to the degree you do this, is to the degree that you diffuse the definition, presumably there being a point at which it loses all definition..

btw, when I make an assumption of religious belief, I am not speaking of any specific religion, I am defining religion as the belief in a God of some sort, perhaps a creator..I don't think that's me embracing some religious definition of God, I think that IS the definition of religion, or at least what under-pines it all..
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 03:04 pm
@catbeasy,
'God' was only added tangentially to Humanism because of my definition of 'God', not my definition of Humanism. I didn't adopt that definition of God just for the purposes of this discussion.

You are fair to point out that it's 'my definition' of God but then your def of religion is also far from Wiki or Webster's. But yea, we are free to choose.

And yes, my def of what a person's God is "would include their newborns, their children, their spouse etc. ". A lot of those horrific bible stories make sense in light of that interpretation.

'Thou shall have no other Gods before you." He's kind of a bastard about that point.
catbeasy

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 04:51 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
You are fair to point out that it's 'my definition' of God but then your def of religion is also far from Wiki or Webster's. But yea, we are free to choose.

Well, I said that God defines religion, but then qualified it by saying the concept of that god under-pines religion. Is that so far from the definition? I mean, I really didn't get into specifics on the definition, just that God is probably the base from which the rest of what defines religion springs..

Quote:
And yes, my def of what a person's God is "would include their newborns, their children, their spouse etc. ". A lot of those horrific bible stories make sense in light of that interpretation.

I find this interesting..polymorphous perversion huh?
Leadfoot

Reply Tue 20 Dec, 2016 06:38 pm
@catbeasy,
Quote:
I find this interesting..polymorphous perversion huh?

The eye of the beholder might apply.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 01:54 pm
@Leadfoot,
The eye of the beholder while unique is not random in its pov... Wink
Leadfoot

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 05:40 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
But is it binary
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 06:43 pm
@Leadfoot,
No. it's 3D.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 06:45 pm
@Leadfoot,
Not there, not here, but elsewhere...
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Wed 21 Dec, 2016 06:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
New fashion in town says its 11D...still binary.
0 Replies

auroreII

Reply Sat 14 Jan, 2017 11:35 pm
@north,
Why do you exclude christianity? The final word in the bible is this. That we love God and we love one another as we love ourselves.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 05:51 am
It will IF it will, WHEN it will...not now !
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jan, 2017 03:02 pm
@auroreII,
We exclude Christianity for the same reason we exclude all religions. They are controlling organizations that collects money and builds beautiful buildings, and makes some preachers wealthy. It's a con game.
That's the reason why humans created thousands of gods.
There's one simple tenet that needs to be followed by all humans; treat every living thing with respect and dignity. You don't need anyone to tell you more.
All else is jibberish.
auroreII

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 09:52 am
@cicerone imposter,
I would say that Christianity does put humanity first.
Christianity is about Christ. You need to keep your eye on him not the churches or people claiming to be Christian. People aren’t perfect, but Christ was. He is the head of the church and I believe the bible comes right out and says he’s our example.( 1 Peter 2:21) I think he’s a pretty good example.
You said: There's one simple tenet that needs to be followed by all humans; treat every living thing with respect and dignity. You don't need anyone to tell you more. –I’ll agree with that.
Jesus left us with two commandments. The first is that we love God and the second, which the bible says is like the first, is that we love our neighbours as ourselves. The second sounds a lot like what you said. We may not know how to love our neighbor, but we probably know how we want to be treated- with respect and dignity. The first commandment says we are supposed love God above all else. Do you know who God is? The answer is found in 1John 4:8. God is love. That’s what the bible says. We are supposed to put love above all else- to temper the law and everything else we do with love.
We all die. The bible says that God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that all those who believe in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. Jesus came into this world to be more than an example for us to follow. He died so we could have everlasting life. I suppose if you don’t believe this then it might seem like jibberish. I believe it. We probably disagree. People disagree. I believe it because, speaking for myself, I have seen enough and experienced enough to believe there is more to this world and our lives than what we can just see and hear and I find that the wisdom in the bible continues to astonish me the more I study it.

“We are how we treat each other.”
izzythepush

Reply Mon 23 Jan, 2017 10:18 am
@auroreII,
auroreII wrote:

I would say that Christianity does put humanity first.

I think a lot of Christianity puts profits first.
0 Replies