Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 02:56 pm
@neologist,
They could not demonstrate their free will, Neo...nor their acceptance of the god's standards...

...BECAUSE THEY DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL...BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.

Wake up.

The story is an abomination.

The god punished this couple for doing something they DID NOT KNOW was wrong...because they DID NOT KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL...BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG.

And do you know why they did not know it? (The story tells you why.)

Because the god did not want them to know.

They did not know the rules to the game the god was playing with them.

There is nothing to learn about any gods in that story, Neo. The only thing that can be learned (sorta) is that whoever wrote it...was not a very bright person...not a very clever one.
neologist

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 03:02 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Is it that hot there today, Frank?
Laughing
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 04:19 pm
@neologist,
Actually...a fine day. High was about 70. Golf course was crowded with golfers.

Deal with the story, Neo.

It is a loser.

The god is a loser.

0 Replies

Olivier5

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 06:14 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

The main reason for Jewish dietary laws as well as other particulars of the Mosaic Law was to serve as a sign when one came along who could actually keep the law. Christians identify that one as Jesus. That's why the Mosaic Law no longer applies to Christians.

Is that the credo of the later saints? God would have imposed His Law on His people for 2000 yrs just so that it could serve as a "marker" of His Son? That sounds far fetched, as theologies go. He could have used an easier way to brand (aka mark or annoint) Jesus. In fact He "did": that's what the miracles were suposedly made for, no?
neologist

Reply Mon 29 Jun, 2015 07:35 pm
@Olivier5,
Closer to 1600 years; but, yeah.
What if Jesus had landed in a 747?
I certainly would have been satisfied with much less.
But we don't get to set the rules.
Perhaps there was need for all those examples that we can't fathom.

Olivier5

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 06:46 am
@neologist,
Quote:

Yes we do. This idea was invented by someone, and you decided to adopt it.
FBM

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 09:09 am
From left field:

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/11692766_10153039071531872_6788336898674900818_n.png
neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 11:10 am
@Olivier5,
I wrote:
Olivier5 wrote:
Yes we do. This idea was invented by someone, and you decided to adopt it.
OK.
What are your rules?
neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 11:15 am
From midfield:
Find cool looking jpeg and post without really considering possible straw men.
Easier than critical thought.
Olivier5

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 04:20 pm
@neologist,
Well, just to emphasize the point, my 1st rule would be: be aware that you make your own rules. Whether you submit or rebel against family traditions, religious imperatives or the law of the land, you choose to do so. You're the captain of your own soul.

#2: Always say the truth as you see it, if asked. If nobody asks you anything, silence is often tho not always gold. And it's okay to lie to the enemy, of course.

Other than that, i try to go by an unshamefully christian moral code. In fact i call meself a christian atheist: try to forgive even to your worse enemy; the poor have value and deserve respect and help; beware of political and religious power (there's an anarchist streak in JC); non-violence as an option; and generally the golden rule in its positive formulation ("do onto others as you'd wish them to do onto you")...

FBM

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 06:57 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

From midfield:

Criticizing another's posting preferences rather than addressing the content of his posts. Easier than critical thinking.
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:08 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

From midfield:

I don't look at the particular case of Religious freedom per se but simply freedom of belief period. Losing track of its importance just shows the full reverse our civilization is engaged in.

For all intended purposes I am in most peoples eyes an atheist and yet it never crossed my mind to rebel against peoples right to believe whatever the hell they want. Its not even a matter of having the right or wrong belief system but understanding that you cannot force people to be what they are not. The all atheist movement is silly because it misses the basics. No matter how desperate they are to bring half of the American population to the XIX century. It simply it is not in their hands and certainly not in the way they are doing it. You don't push people to enlightenment, you invite them in...
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:18 pm
@Olivier5,
Your belief in choice separates you from many.

And that's a good thing. .
neologist

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:21 pm
@FBM,
Criminy. I can't even cut and paste the BS off'n a pic.
I actually have to copy freehand.
So doggoned hard . . . . .

I hear fizzing.
I'll get to it later.
FBM

Reply Tue 30 Jun, 2015 07:25 pm
@neologist,
I'll be here. No hurry.
Olivier5

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 05:56 am
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

Your belief in choice separates you from many.

Those many are just looking for excuses.
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 08:48 am
@FBM,
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/2c/2cbc845ba4061cd5be7d3d8c92f8e6bfe4647b89192e1c240789fe2b842626e5.jpg
neologist

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 09:18 am
@Smileyrius,
Ahhh!!!
0 Replies

Smileyrius

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 09:58 am
In line with the reasoning presented.

King David was not human, he was in fact, Invertebrate - Psalms 22: 6
[img]picture of surprised face[/img]
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Wed 1 Jul, 2015 10:49 am
@FBM,
Ignoring the difficulties Betty seems to have punctuating scripture citation:
Quote:
For you, brothers, became imitators of the congregations of God in union with Christ Jesus that are in Ju·de′a, because you suffered at the hands of your own countrymen the same things that they also are suffering at the hands of the Jews, 15 who even killed the Lord Jesus and the prophets and persecuted us. Furthermore, they are not pleasing God, but are against the interests of all men, 16 as they try to prevent us from speaking to people of the nations so that these might be saved. In this way they always fill up the measure of their sins. But his wrath has at last come upon them. (1Thessalonians 2: 14-16)
Doesn't sound like hate for Jews, since they continued to convert them. I don't think Christians rejoiced in 70 CE when Jerusalem was destroyed; however, those who heeded Jesus' words and escaped (in 66 CE) were, no doubt, relieved.