Would the World be Better off Without Religion?

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 12:53 pm
I think religion is one of the most insideous evils ever created. It does nothing more then hinders the growth and true happiness of man kind. It preys on primal fears. It does nothing more than create division among mankind and tells him that faith is greater than reason which is the biggest crime any organization can commit. what ever good it claims it does that very good can be achieved with out religion. Do nothing else but pray and see how long one last.

Is faith is the opposite of reason then why should man abandon reason? Reason and curiosty is man's very nature. To abandon reason, logic and skepticism is paramount to suicide. Why does religion want us to commit suicide? All that allows us to live a healthier and longer happier life comes from technology via science via logic and reason and our empirical skill, not faith.
Religion want us to ream children and never grow up and take responsiblity for our actions. It is time we grow up as a people and take off the religions shackles that hinder our growth.

Do we need to fear the loss of religion? I think not.
Relogion is a bad and immoral placebo

URL: http://able2know.org/post/ask/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 48 • Views: 60,197 • Replies: 939

fresco

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 02:46 pm
@argome321,
Yes, but there appears to be a general need for such opiates and it is probably a manifestation of the tribalism we inherit as primates.
As argued elsewhere on this forum, "religion" is the psychological price humans pay for their cognitive abilities for contemplating and partially controlling their "futures". Without such abilities you can wave goodbye to that "technology" which you posit as "sufficient for growth".
rosborne979

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 03:29 pm
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:
Would the World be Better off Without Religion?
Over all, I'm sure it would be. But I have a hard time imagining what humanity would really be like without it. Assuming the passion that drives religion still remained, I wonder what it would turn to? Politics, Family, Learning, Science?
argome321

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 05:31 pm
@rosborne979,
"Over all, I'm sure it would be. But I have a hard time imagining what humanity would really be like without it. Assuming the passion that drives religion still remained, I wonder what it would turn to? Politics, Family, Learning, Science?"

As have stated I do not fear the loss of religion, As far as what we as humans would turn to? though I don't know, But who can say that our psychological evolution will not be better for mankind as a whole? Perhaps we will be better suited to accept that the reason for life is for life sake itself?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:09 am

I've noted that a lot of people who openly support horrendous atrocities, also profess Atheism.

It is likely that there are a lot of evil people out there who refrain from being a scumbag because they fear having to answer to God when they die. If we were to remove religion, such people would likely begin making the world a more unpleasant place.
argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:26 am
@oralloy,
"I've noted that a lot of people who openly support horrendous atrocities, also profess Atheism.

It is likely that there are a lot of evil people out there who refrain from being a scumbag because they fear having to answer to God when they die. If we were to remove religion, such people would likely begin making the world a more unpleasant place."

Your statement clearly show you don't know anything about atheism

Atheism has no tenets and profess nothing other than a lack of belief in a god or gods

all types of people do horrendous things, many committed by so called god fearing people, and there are those fanatics who murder in the name of their god, and expect to be rewarded.

what I also get from your statement is that you have very little or no faith in mankind, completely ignoring the good things mankind has done regardless of being atheist or a believer. Perhaps you should have more faith in mankind than a god you can't prove exist.

As far as having to fear god wen they die why are our prisons filled, over flowing, with people who commit horrendous crimes and profess their belief in god? I bet they out number the atheist by a lot.
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:31 am
@argome321,
Quote:
I think religion is one of the most insideous evils ever created. It does nothing more then hinders the growth and true happiness of man kind. It preys on primal fears. It does nothing more than create division among mankind and tells him that faith is greater than reason which is the biggest crime any organization can commit. what ever good it claims it does that very good can be achieved with out religion. Do nothing else but pray and see how long one last.

I love irony. Your hatred of religion

- Preys on primal fears.
- Does nothing more than create division among mankind.
- Is based on faith (your personal belief) rather than reason.

I hope you see why I find this thread a little amusing.

argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:36 am
@maxdancona,
"I love irony. Your hatred of religion

- Preys on primal fears.

I hope you see why I find this thread a little amusing."

I never used the word hate. One doesn't have to hate something to point out that it is or might be bad for us merely because the wording is strong. then again, I would feel comfortable using the word hate without contradiction in my position. One could say I'm being passionate because of my experience?

I hate slavery, oppression etc and being ruled by fear and ignorance because of what it does to us. where's the irony in that?

I have no hatre for Roaches, but if they invade my home I wouldn't hesitate using Raid to rid myself of them
maxdancona

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 08:44 am
@argome321,
Quote:
I think religion is one of the most insideous evils ever created.

I think this qualifies as hatred of religion.

A question: If someone could be religious without being "rules by fear and ignorance", would you change your opinion?
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:03 am
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

"I love irony. Your hatred of religion

- Preys on primal fears.

I hope you see why I find this thread a little amusing."

I never used the word hate. One doesn't have to hate something to point out that it is or might be bad for us merely because the wording is strong. then again, I would feel comfortable using the word hate without contradiction in my position. One could say I'm being passionate because of my experience?

I hate slavery, oppression etc and being ruled by fear and ignorance because of what it does to us. where's the irony in that?

I have no hatre for Roaches, but if they invade my home I wouldn't hesitate using Raid to rid myself of them

You seem to think a lot of your intelligence, Argome.

Don't you think by now an "intelligent" poster like you would have mastered the art of quoting...ya know, like I quoted you above...so that your posts can get closer to coherent?

And if you think not, don't you think by now an "intelligent" poster would have asked for help in learning how to do it?

???

0 Replies

argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:06 am
@maxdancona,
"I think this qualifies as hatred of religion.

Here we can agree to disagree, I have a different idea of hatred I guess then yours. Perhaps it is a mere matter of degrees.

"A question: If someone could be religious without being "rules by fear and ignorance", would you change your opinion?"

That would depend on several things, Would they tried to force their belief on others, as many feel that it is their right and obligation to do so?

would they respect other beliefs different from their own despite what their holy books dictate?

I really don't have a problem with people being religious, it's religion based on superstition, believing in things that there is no proof ( at this point in time) and no know way to prove it because the problem is people act on their beliefs and that is the danger I see.

Don't you thing that if people are going to commit to their religion and trust and act on the tenets of their beliefs that those tenets should have a firm base, a footing in reality, something a little more tangible, as close to reality as possible? Because your action once leaving the gray areas exist in the real world with real consequences.

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:10 am
@argome321,
Here is your post written with the quote function in operation. Don't you think it is closer to coherent?

Quote:
"I think this qualifies as hatred of religion.

Here we can agree to disagree, I have a different idea of hatred I guess then yours. Perhaps it is a mere matter of degrees.

Quote:
"A question: If someone could be religious without being "rules by fear and ignorance", would you change your opinion?"

That would depend on several things, Would they tried to force their belief on others, as many feel that it is their right and obligation to do so?

Quote:
would they respect other beliefs different from their own despite what their holy books dictate?

I really don't have a problem with people being religious, it's religion based on superstition, believing in things that their is no proof and no know way to prove it because the problem is people act on their beliefs and that is the danger I see.

Don't you thing that if people are going to commit to their religion and trust and act on the tenets of their beliefs that those tenets should have a firm base, a footing in reality, something a little more tangible, as close to reality as possible? Because your action once leaving the gray areas exist in the real world with real consequences.

argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:20 am
@Frank Apisa,
I appreciate your interest in helping me. i don't have foolish pride. I don't always do the intelligent thing. Multi-tasking is not my strength. But, then again I think intelligent and 2.50 will get you a ride on the NY MTA

so how does one use the Quote function on this site work?

thanks in advance

P.S. I don't think much of my intelligence, thinking has gotten me into more trouble then I would care to mention, good and or bad.
oralloy

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:31 am
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:
Your statement clearly show you don't know anything about atheism

On the contrary, I understand very well what it is.

argome321 wrote:
Atheism has no tenets and profess nothing other than a lack of belief in a god or gods

Therefore it does not cause people to worry about having to explain their behavior to God when they die.

argome321 wrote:
all types of people do horrendous things, many committed by so called god fearing people,

Most God-fearing people are restrained from evil because they don't wish to be punished for their misdeeds after they die.

argome321 wrote:
and there are those fanatics who murder in the name of their god, and expect to be rewarded.

True.

argome321 wrote:
what I also get from your statement is that you have very little or no faith in mankind,

Justifiably so.

argome321 wrote:
completely ignoring the good things mankind has done regardless of being atheist or a believer.

If someone commits an atrocity and then turns around and does wonderful good deeds, does that mean that their atrocity is now OK?

I'm not saying there should be no forgiveness if someone truly repents, but I don't like the idea that good deeds mitigate wrongdoing.

I know, I sound like a bloody Protestant. Sad

argome321 wrote:
Perhaps you should have more faith in mankind than a god you can't prove exist.

No. Mankind doesn't deserve such faith.

argome321 wrote:
As far as having to fear god wen they die why are our prisons filled, over flowing, with people who commit horrendous crimes and profess their belief in god? I bet they out number the atheist by a lot.

A lot of people are in prison for victimless crimes. Or for acts of passion that were not planned out. Or are outright innocent.

Of the people who truly did something terrible, and did so intentionally, I'd bet that most of them do not think there will be any judgement awaiting them after they die. However, I doubt it is possible to establish this scientifically unless someone comes up with a reliable way to read people's minds.
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:40 am
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:

I appreciate your interest in helping me. i don't have foolish pride. I don't always do the intelligent thing. Multi-tasking is not my strength. But, then again I think intelligent and 2.50 will get you a ride on the NY MTA

so how does one use the Quote function on this site work?

thanks in advance

P.S. I don't think much of my intelligence, thinking has gotten me into more trouble then I would care to mention, good and or bad.

Okay...piece by piece. You will find it useful.

I suspect you do not see a quote button in green at the top of all the posts.

If I am correct...first thing to do is to go to your home page...at the bottom of the page click on "preferences"...and then click "yes" for the quote button.

You can do it without the button by simply encasing anything you want to quote with [ quote ] [ /quote ] (with no spaces...I used spaces so that you could actually see the structure.
JLNobody

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:51 am
For me it depends on what kind of "religion." "Higher" forms of mystical practice can be very positive (e.g., aspects of Buddhism, Hinduism and Taoism), but there are forms of both eastern and western religion that merely extract wealth from poor people and perpetuate superstition.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 09:57 am
@Frank Apisa,
yes I found the Quote function bottom. I need to experiment with it a little.

Thanks
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:03 am
@oralloy,
"[Therefore it does not cause people to worry about having to explain their behavior to God when they die.]

I don't know how to stress to you that you don't understand atheism, especially given your statement printed above.

a person need not explain himself to something or some one he doesn't believe to exist, there would be no need to.
and so far you haven't proven that your god exist
I'm pretty sure if you thought that I didn't exist you wouldn't be talking to me
you wouldn't have a need to explain anything to me.

[argome321 wrote:
Perhaps you should have more faith in mankind than a god you can't prove exist.

No. Mankind doesn't deserve such faith.}

And a god who has yet to have been proven to exist does?
That sounds a little inane if not insane to me
Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:09 am
@argome321,
Great. Good luck with it, Argome.

Since this is a short reply, it would be a good test of the basic use of the button.

Reply to it by hitting the "quote" button...and then writing whatever you want below the [ /quote ] which will be generated.
argome321

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2015 10:22 am
@Frank Apisa,
Quote:
lets see what happens