What if we made First Contact today

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 03:01 pm
If you were out working and you get home, turn on the news, and find out that while you were working, people were making peace with a species other than our own. It would change humanaity forever.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 1,013 • Replies: 13

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 03:03 pm
@KhanKaiser,
You mean like humans and fish?

Like GWB prophesised?
rosborne979

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 08:07 pm
@KhanKaiser,
KhanKaiser wrote:
If you were out working and you get home, turn on the news, and find out that while you were working, people were making peace with a species other than our own. It would change humanity forever.
Yes, I'm sure it would. Where were you going with this?
KhanKaiser

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:09 am
@rosborne979,
Well, we all have no idea of what will happen on a given day. Where I am going with it is to get you thinking, what would Homo Sapiens be like if we mixed our culture the culture of those whose species was born another planet. Would there be peace among the Earth, would we all fight for alliance with this superior power, would we attack them and start a war, or would they attack us and, Like on the popular show "Falling Skies," take over the Earth, driving humanity to extinction and using us for experiments and military force.
KhanKaiser

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 01:10 am
@Lordyaswas,
I am sorry, but could you explain what you mean by "GWB."
izzythepush

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 09:39 am
@KhanKaiser,
Is it that long already?
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 02:58 pm
@KhanKaiser,
KhanKaiser wrote:

If you were out working and you get home, turn on the news, and find out that while you were working, people were making peace with a species other than our own. It would change humanaity forever.

I read it in a book called the Green Man years ago and he gave the same warning.

90 percent of all power Ball multimillion dollar winners give it all back in five years to charity and other needy groups.

“You want people walking away from the conversation with some kernel of wisdom or some kind of impact.” Henry Dean Stanton

“What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is WHAT WE DO.” John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 06:08 pm
@KhanKaiser,
KhanKaiser wrote:
Well, we all have no idea of what will happen on a given day. Where I am going with it is to get you thinking, what would Homo Sapiens be like if we mixed our culture the culture of those whose species was born another planet. Would there be peace among the Earth, would we all fight for alliance with this superior power, would we attack them and start a war, or would they attack us and, Like on the popular show "Falling Skies," take over the Earth, driving humanity to extinction and using us for experiments and military force.

You don't have to get me thinking. I've thought about this for decades. I have no idea what type of aliens we might first meet, if we ever meet any at all. My best guess is that we'll most likely run into microbial life (with no sentience) of some type, or if it's sentient, some form of mechanical life which is so far beyond us in technology and knowledge that we may not understand anything about them(or their motivations) at all.

As for how humanity reacts, I suspect we'll either band together (if attacked) or largely ignore it (if they are not a threat). And if they have knowledge or goods to offer we'll probably squabble over it and worry that someone else will gain knowledge (power) that another group doesn't have. Basically the same human responses we get to all situations, just on a larger scale.

If we meet something with vastly superior technology and knowledge and if they do decide to interact with us (without obliterating us), then I am certain that our entire culture will be completely overturned within a few generations just from exposure to their knowledge and tech.

The first chapter of the novel Singularity Sky by Charles Stross describes the most likely scenario quite nicely. If you get a chance to read it, it's well worth your time.

Quote:
The novel follows the ill-fated military campaign by a repressive state, the New Republic, to retaliate for a perceived invasion of one of its colony worlds. In actuality, the planet has been visited by the Festival, a technologically advanced alien race of "datavore's" that rewards its hosts for "entertaining" them by granting whatever the entertainer wishes, including the Festival's own technology. The result is that even the most insignificant person can get anything they wish for... unlimited food, housing, tools, and weapons (of devastating power). This causes extensive social, economic and political disruption to the colony, which was generally limited by the New Republic to technology equivalent to that found on Earth during the Industrial Revolution.

Just ask yourself what our world would be like if everyone had their own atomic weapon...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2015 06:38 pm
@KhanKaiser,
KhanKaiser wrote:

How old are you? 70 maybe? if alliens landed 99% of americans would know in a hour, well before they got home and turned on the news.

Are these aliens here to rub us out or to colonize us? More than likely I think.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:03 am
Soon,

A staged alien invasion will come!

Quote:
"... when you stop to think that we're all God's children, wherever we may live in the world, I couldn't help but say to him, just think how easy his task and mine might be in these meetings that we held if suddenly there was a threat to this world from some other species from another planet outside in the universe. We'd forget all the little local differences that we have between our countries and we would find out once and for all that we really are all human beings here on this earth together"

White House transcript of "Remarks of the President to Fallston High School Students and Faculty"
December 4, 1985

So, when we have an 'alien invasion' it will be staged!!

So 'they' can take more of our rights away!

You have been warned.
0 Replies

Quehoniaomath

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 01:15 am
Quote:
"Perhaps we need some outside, universal threat to recognize this common bond. I occasionally think how quickly our differences would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world." - Ronald Reagan, Speech from the 42d Session of the United-Nations General Assembly, New York, 09/21/1987:

Right from the mouth of the psychopats!!!
0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:18 pm
@KhanKaiser,
KhanKaiser wrote:

0 Replies

Rickoshay75

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:30 pm
@KhanKaiser,
KhanKaiser wrote:

>>

I've adjusted to life the way it is now, changing it would just mean more adjusting, not an epiphany or revelation. .

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. Mark Twain
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sun 26 Jul, 2015 09:02 am
One of the most positive scenarios would be if the aliens were understandable, friendly, capable of interstellar travel, were in contact with several other friendly species capable of interstellar travel, and were willing to stay in touch with us and give us a certain amount of knowledge if we wanted them to. Obviously, there are many far less favorable scenarios which are just as likely. In the case I outlined, though, I wonder what would happen once everyone on Earth had become aware of our new friends.
0 Replies