Why have children?

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:20 am
small_brother wrote:
Having children is particularly selfish, because the ones that "plan" the new arrival has NO WAY of knowing for sure if that new person will like it here or not, or if he/she will even like her/his own parents.
What if you bring a new kid to this world with the VERY best intentions, he/she grows up, HATES excistence, and the good old question arises of: Why the hell you got me? I didn't ask to be born. Life sucks, and the "life" you've provided me with sucks even more.

Well, kids always have the option to off themselves if they really don't like it here.

Quote:

Most breaders are ants, worker ants, and I say that just to be polite, the truth is that we're slaves. Paint that fact of all the pretty colors you might like, but that doesn't change the fact that we're slaves..... you know... a prison cell is a prison cell doesn't matter how pretty it looks....
So you breaders of the world, are ready to accept the responsibility, particularly with your children when they grow up, and face the fact that the best they can get out of life is working seasesly, for peanuts, just to pay bills, just to keep head abobe water, and worst of all in a place like McDonalds, and they might be NEVER able to do what they like.

I would hope to raise my children to be happy and free and not miserable slaves. I think that a person's decision to have children is, rightly, a reflection on how they feel about life. For instance, when I was young -- too young to have children anyway -- I was very cynical and children were out of the question. As I grew older I became more hopeful and children were suddenly a possibility. Still, like soz indicated, there are always people out there willing to tell others whether or not to have kids and how many is enough or too much. Personally, I think the world could use the fresh perspective of new beings.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 09:55 am
Having children is survival for the human race, so small_brother following your logic, it is actually less selfish to have children than eating. As to have children is to help the human race survive whereas eating is more personal. So you are helping something survive greater than yourself.

Lankz makes some very good points. One that is particularly notable is that some mothers would lose their lives giving birth. I have to agree. Being a mom, I would not hesitate to give my life for my child. Most parents I know feel this way. Anyone ever see John Q? To me the scene where Denzel Washington puts the gun to his head in order for his child to get his heart is what any parent would do if it would save their child. Lankz is correct. How many 2 year olds seem miserable? They cry for 2 minutes and are happy as can be otherwise. The smallest thing brings joys of laughter. You sound very insightful for 18.
0 Replies

lankz

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:32 am
Linkat wrote:
You sound very insightful for 18.

Thankyou, i do not often get to share my opinions, as, among friends such things are not common topics. I also thankyou for understanding what i was trying to convey, lol, as you probably well know, it is often hard to put thoughts into words.

small_brother:
Quote:
and they might be NEVER able to do what they like

But, even if they do work at Macca's, they also MIGHT have the opportunity.

I would hope that if your selfishness ever subsides small_brother, that you teach your children to at least make the most out of what they have. Its hard to do when you have to learn it for yourself...
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 10:54 pm
I know my parents did not plan to have me. I gave this account of my birth somewhere in these forums, but let me repeat it here.
My mother was hard of hearing. One night my father asked, with some expectations, "Do you want to go to sleep or what?" She asked "What?" Nine months later I was born.
0 Replies

shepaints

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:55 pm
JL said "Nine months later I was born"

.......and then the world became a better place,
Nobody!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 05:12 pm
Parenting changes who you are.

I never wanted to have kids, neither did Mr. B, which is one of the reasons I married him. It wasn't because of the state of the world or the likelyhood of their sufferering or anything like that. I just didn't have that maternal instinct thing going on.

Then, through a weird series of circumstances, we found ourselves raising a child. At first it was really soul sucking hard but now I think I understand why people have kids:

Life does not often present one with the opportunity to love with such abandon.

Simple as that.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 06:24 pm
[nods emphatically]
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 08:43 pm
Shepaints, Very Happy
0 Replies