How do you define Time?

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:52 pm
How do you define Time?

Dictionary definitions are unsatisfactory. It seems like the best they can do is define time as something that separates events, or worse: they use the word time to define itself.
Time: From dictionary:
a. A nonspatial continuum in which events occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future.
b. An interval separating two points on this continuum; a duration: a long time since the last war; passed the time reading.
c. A number, as of years, days, or minutes, representing such an interval: ran the course in a time just under four minutes.
d. A similar number representing a specific point on this continuum, reckoned in hours and minutes: checked her watch and recorded the time, 6:17 A.M.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 23 • Views: 47,868 • Replies: 356

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 02:59 pm
Time matters only when I'm alive.
0 Replies

Tiaha

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:08 pm
I've often wondered this myself. Time seems to be the present moment, if time stopped, nothing could move.

then again, that would mean that anything beyond time cannot change- becuase to change, you must have a time to change IN. turn the present moment into the past, and so on.

So I sometimes wonder what people mean when they say, 'beyond time'. that eternity is 'outside of time'. stuff like that.

so, to repeat the question, [sorry] what is time?
thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 04:50 pm
I see time in an Augustinian way. Time exists in the never ending knife blade of the present.

I guess that puts firmly in A time theory but I am okay with that.

TF
0 Replies

Denze

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:33 pm
Time is the rhythm section for Sympathetic Vibratory Physics.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:36 pm
Time is something I wish didn't exist!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:38 pm
If we ever have an A2K football game, and I'm elected captain of one team and, oh, we'll say littlek is the captain of the other team, and we start picking, I'm going to make sure one thing happens with absolute certainty.

Time is on my side.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:44 pm
Rolling stones!!!!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 05:46 pm
We have an extremely shrewd individual in our midst.
0 Replies

Tiaha

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:36 pm
I read someone say this here:

time does not actually exist, at all.

how can you say this? things happen, right? so how can time not exist? unless things happening have nothing to do with time.

I've been looking through the forum and I find it funny how a lot of our discussions end up with time.
Anoxia

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:47 pm
I personally think that time does not even exist, but as a measurement for futile physics equations.
tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:47 pm
Interesting, Tiasha.

So, that begs the question:

If nothing happened, would time stop?

Of course its all probably a moot point.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 06:51 pm
End of the galaxy?
0 Replies

Tiaha

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:11 pm
something happening makes time. because there is now a past.

say, you drink a glass of milk. you are in time. Because now, there is a past, where you were about to drink the milk. There is the present, while you are drinking the milk. And there is a future, when you know you will have to wash out your glass. Futures turn into presents, whcih turn into pasts, which turn into memories, which get stored in our subconscious.

If nothing happened, then that would mean nothing ever COULD happen. For something to happen, it needs a cause. [right?] and that cause, in turn, needs a cause. So, if nothing happened, nothing would CONTINUE to happen because nothing happens spontaneously. [right?]

what do you mean by 'time not existing'? I agree that the human concept of time, putting lables on it and cutting it into chunks, does not 'exist'... is that what you mean?

if it's not then you should explain.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:12 pm
What if our galaxy goes kaplooey?
0 Replies

Tiaha

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:15 pm
if our galaxy goes kaplooey, there are still plenty more galaxies to take its place.

what does that have to do with time? Razz
0 Replies

Tiaha

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:15 pm
if our galaxy goes kaplooey, there are still plenty more galaxies to take its place.

what does that have to do with time? Confused
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
Our time is based on our sun.......
0 Replies

tcis

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:24 pm
What I was getting at goes something like this:

We usually like to think that we need Time for things to happen, Time is necessary for the universe to exist as it does. etc.

But from this thread, it appears the opposite may be true also: Something must happen for their to be such a thing as time. If everything suddenly froze, would time pass?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 14 Jun, 2004 07:27 pm
There are billions of stars out there; which time are you implying will supersede all others? The other conclusion is that there are billions of different times out there; but are there?