Would a clone of myself be a different person than myself?

layman

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2015 10:09 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
So you think if you don't know something, the alternative is being someone who thinks they know "everything"?

I don't know why you would think that I would think that those two possibilities exhaust all possible scenarios. For the record, I wasn't referring to you, Chai, when I spoke of "some I have encountered here."

That said, to express utter astonishment, to the point of asking if it's a "joke, if someone aint some biology expert, does seem a little pompous and boorish to me.
chai2

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2015 12:49 am
@layman,
layman wrote:

I don't know why you would think that I would think that those two possibilities exhaust all possible scenarios

That said, to express utter astonishment, to the point of asking if it's a "joke, if someone aint some biology expert, does seem a little pompous and boorish to me.

I thought that because of the way you phrased it.

I did not express "utter astonishment" I asked if you were joking. I really didn't think that anyone would think clones would have the same fingerprints, or the exact same number of freckles in the exact spots, in the expact same size, etc. as that's like science fiction.

I'm no biology expert, don't know where you got that.

In any event, what did you think of the information I provided? Does it make sense now that clones wouldn't have the same fingerprints, and that clones appear naturally in nature all the time?

0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 08:59 pm
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:

As I said before, identical twins are natural clones of each other, and no one thinks that they are the same person.

Clones are exact copies.

If you had a clone, I'm pretty sure they would object if you told them you were keeping them around for spare parts.

Why does everyone talk about using clones for spare parts? Identical twins don't use each other that way, nor do they want to.
(Except in the case of voluntary organ donation.)

Edgar is joking, of course, but the films involving clones aren't, and they always depict clones as each other's mortal enemies. That makes no sense.
chai2

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2015 09:06 pm
@Kolyo,
I agree kolyo.

I know, I have no idea why many people automatically jump in with the "spare parts" idea.

It reminds my of that scene from Monty Pythons "The Meaning of Life"

Here, hysterical.

But I'm using it.

Come on sir, don't muck us about.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 04:04 am
@Kolyo,
Kolyo wrote:
Why does everyone talk about using clones for spare parts? Identical twins don't use each other that way, nor do they want to.
(Except in the case of voluntary organ donation.)

Recent years have seen reports of instances where the parents of a dying child needing a compatible bone marrow donor have conceived a new child in the hope of that child being able to be used as a donor for the dying child. Sometimes in-vitro fertilisation is used to select genetically compatible offspring. This is currently an ethical issue widely under discussion.
0 Replies

argome321

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2015 01:12 pm
@okopp,
well the clone sure wouldnot be you, it be like having a twin, only younger.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 12:03 pm
Thread looked interesting - Each post made it otherwise.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Thu 25 Feb, 2016 04:50 am
@okopp,
okopp wrote:

don't know if anyone will read this, but just a random thought I had:

Try to imagine the following: you wake up in a hospital bed, with no recollection of how you got there. You look over at the bed next to you and see a person who looks identical to you, down to your birthmarks and scars, staring back at you. You talk for a moment and realize that you both identify using the same name and seem to share childhood memories. The other person also has no recollection of how they got there.

Please someone explain to me, how you would argue either that you know you are the original or argue for why you can't possibly have that knowledge. While forming your argument, please also explain where "you" are and who "you" are.

You may want to consider issues such as what it means to Know what your identity is, what identity means, and whether it even makes sense to claim that your identity even survives.

Up from the exact moment both clones diverge in spacetime experience they stop being the same. And yes a debate between both on who is the original would be fun to watch without external moderation.
0 Replies