Turning The Ballot Box Against Republicans

revelette2

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 08:30 am
@layman,
Perhaps it has never been litigated because there has been never been a need. There is a first time for everything.

Anyway, the definition of emolument is:

Quote:
the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites

source

Quote:
Definition of perquisite

:
a privilege, gain, or profit incidental to regular salary or wages; especially
:
one expected or promised

source

Quote:

The Washington Post recently reported considerable interest in booking Trump’s Washington hotel as a deliberate way for foreign visitors to show their support for the incoming Trump White House. Two legal experts—Richard Painter, who was former President George W. Bush’s chief ethics counsel, and noted constitutional legal expert Lawrence Tribe—both say that this appears to be an “emolument” (a gift) that a president isn’t allowed to accept.
—Jeff Nesbit, Time.com, 21 Nov. 2016

The emoluments clause could also come into play when Trump’s business sells condos at its properties or partners with foreign investors in the United States or other countries. A condo sale to a foreign dignitary could be seen as an emolument, especially if it were above the market rate.
—Paul Blumenthal, huffingtonpost.com, 19 Nov. 2016

Emolument has been in use in English since the late 15th century, and is defined as “the returns arising from office or employment usually in the form of compensation or perquisites.” There is an additional sense of the word, now obsolete, which is “advantage, benefit.”

The word comes from the Latin word emolumentum, which means “profit” or “gain”; the literal meaning of the word is “sum paid to have grain ground up,” as it comes from the word emolere (“to grind up”).

The emoluments clause of the United States Constitution (Article 1, section 9) reads as follows: “No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.”

source

Note the words literal meaning of the word is “sum paid to have grain ground up". Now obviously this is a old fashioned word, but if you take into the context of Trump's corporations overseas, it does open up at least questions which can and should be explored to make sure we do not have a president ignoring the clause of the constitution.
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:15 am
Written by a FB poster.

I got my dander up this morning after reading on Facebook a chastisement from a conservative friend for not supporting the charter school movement. He implied that it is wrong for me to want to condemn poor, black children to "ghetto" schools. And so, I responded thusly: "Ghetto public schools are what they are because Republican controlled states are not funding them like they used to. I went to public schools as did most everyone in my generation and the next. They were great. But now this... this end-around excuse to subvert the Supreme Court's ruling on Brown vs the Board of Education, namely, integration.
We have visited many charter schools in our area looking for an alternative to what is left of defunded public schools for our great granddaughter, (name withheld), a mixed race child. With a small number of exceptions, ones for which there was a long waiting list for enrollment, they were all segregated, all black or all Hispanic. And standards in charter schools are lacking and inconsistent. Charter school teachers here in Texas are not even required to be certified! So, tell me how they are better. Cheaper to states, yes, because they leave parents responsible for transportation to and fro. Accordingly, we have enrolled our precious little girl in a private school, one of the best in North Central Texas. Yes, it's expensive. But she is worth it to us and we are fortunate to be able to afford the tuition.
Do not assume, (name withheld), that I don't know of that which I speak. I am, after all, a retired teacher. And what qualification do you have to substantiate your opinion?"
My conservative friend is not a bad man, or even a crude, crass person. He's just a typical conservative and, on this issue at least, he is dead wrong.
Baldimo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 01:09 pm
@TheCobbler,
A liberal retired school teacher being against charter schools and blaming Conservatives for school funding issues... No surprise in the least.
MontereyJack

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 02:11 pm
@Baldimo,
Seems like he!she speaks gfrom rxperience baldimo. I dont see tthat you are
Baldimo

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:32 pm
@MontereyJack,
You are right, as a parent of a 16 and 19 year old, I have never had to deal with education decisions or school boards. As the parent of a child who is deaf, I have never had to fight a school district on where I thought was best for my child to attend school. I've never had to deal with school district lawyers about my child being bullied. As a former home owner I have never had to deal with property taxes and how to pay for schools or what should be dealt with when it comes to community needs vs what the teachers unions want for my kids. You are right, I don't have any experience in dealing with these sort of things.
georgeob1

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 03:38 pm
@Baldimo,
You don't get it. You are not a card carrying "educational expert" or bureaucrat. The type of petty authority figure with which progressives propose to rule our lives. Worse still, you appear to think for yourself.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 1 Dec, 2016 09:41 pm
Crybabies
0 Replies

TheCobbler

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 02:09 am
Wisconsin recount observers discover five vote counting machines with tampered seals
http://www.palmerreport.com/news/wisconsin-recount-observers-discover-five-vote-counting-machines-with-tampered-seals/345/
revelette2

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 08:23 am
G.O.P. Plans Immediate Repeal of Health Law, Then a Delay

Quote:
WASHINGTON — Republicans in Congress plan to move almost immediately next month to repeal the Affordable Care Act, as President-elect Donald J. Trump promised. But they also are likely to delay the effective date so that they have several years to phase out President Obama’s signature achievement.

This emerging “repeal and delay” strategy, which Speaker Paul D. Ryan discussed this week with Vice President-elect Mike Pence, underscores a growing recognition that replacing the health care law will be technically complicated and could be politically explosive.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 01:51 pm
@revelette2,
Hell; I want them to repeal ACA. They'll lose all elections forthwith.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/image/peopleoverpolitics520.jpg
georgeob1

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 02:34 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Funny, the administration that passed the ill-famed ACA lost big time in the recent election: Democrats now face larger Republican majorities in both house of Congress, and an upstsart president they all forecast to be defeated by their extraordinarily well-funded and organized annointed queen. Finally Republicans now control of 35 of 50 state governments, gaining several gubernatorial seats and upwards of 200 state legislative seats nationwide - not much left in the way of bench opportunities for a new generation of Democrat leaders. Indeed only their unelectable loonies and Bernie folks are left standing, and so far they don't appear to have yet woken up to the new political landscape they now face.

Worse the ACA is failing on its own defects, and the public knows it.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 02:49 pm
@georgeob1,
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/opinion/editorials/1033259-465/aca-not-a-failure-not-success-either.html

ACA is not a failure nor a success. It has provided health insurance to many who could not qualify before. That's a plus in my books. The more people with health insurance the better for everybody.
RABEL222

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 03:13 pm
@TheCobbler,
Think the FBI-KBG will investigate this or are they still looking at e-mails?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 3 Dec, 2016 05:08 pm
@RABEL222,
Here's another doozy on Trump's win.
The voters "been had" again! LOL
They think they've finally elected someone to turn things around. Wrong!
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/when-will-trump-voters-realize-theyve-been-had-2016-12-02?mod=whatnext&cx_navSource=cx_picks&cx_tag=other&cx_artPos=7#cxrecs_s
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
It did one thing out of the many it was suppose to do. So the new success for govt programs is if they are successful at one thing but fail the rest of their objectives then it's ok?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:20 am
@TheCobbler,
Are they anti tampering seals, or at they warranty seals? It seems to me that they are labeled as warranty seals, you know like a lot of computers or tablet come with. Meaning if they seal is broken, the company will not work on the machines for free and the owners of the machines would have pay full price for the repair work to be done.

Calling them tamper seals seems dishonest since that doesn't appear to be the reason for the stickers.

Anything to make this scam of a recount seem legit I guess is what will happen.
Blickers

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 09:31 am
@Baldimo,
Scam of a recount my ass. What is so hard about hand recounting the ballots? If the ballots are legit, you should have nothing to worry about. Those twelve Wisconsin counties that only went by checking the machine tally and refused to hand recount are a ******* disgrace. And here you are backing them up.

What are Trump's people afraid of? That somebody will see the stickers on the machines that say:
Осмотрел Иван пятнадцатого октября ?
Baldimo

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:06 am
@Blickers,
Quote:
What is so hard about hand recounting the ballots?

Nothing hard about recounting them, but that assumes there as a miscount in the first place and that it was bad enough to throw almost 100,000 votes Trumps way.

Quote:
If the ballots are legit, you should have nothing to worry about.

Why should I worry, I don't have a stake in this recount. I don't live in WI. Why didn't Jill challenge the vote in states won by Hillary? She is only doing it in states won by Trump. If she was as worried about the election as she claims, why isn't she demanding a vote in any states won by Hillary? Stein herself has said she would have challenged the vote regardless of who won, then why not go after Hillary states? This is why I say the recount is a scam, if it was really a challenge of system it's self she would have looked at blue states as well as states that went red. It's a scam, a fraud and a way to undermine the entire Constitutional election system.

Quote:
And here you are backing them up.

Read above.

Quote:
What are Trump's people afraid of? That somebody will see the stickers on the machines that say:
Осмотрел Иван пятнадцатого октября ?

As I've said, why not question any of the votes in blue Hillary states? The reason is clear, when the GOP wins, someone cheated but when the Dems win, the process worked as normal. It happens every single time and it's getting old. It's the same BS ploys you guys have been running for years and it's one of the reasons so many people who voted for Obama twice now voted for Trump. They same the game that was being played and didn't buy into any more. Cry wolf to many times and people stop responding to the call. You only have yourselves to blame.

I voted for Gary Johnson because I was tired of the game. I knew he wasn't going to win but I was #neverhillary and I swore to not vote GOP in the next election. So Gary was my man.
Blickers

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:28 am
@Baldimo,
If Trump feels that Hillary's people stole states, or if some third party candidate who might consider Trump a better second choice than Hillary to himself feels that way and wants to file for a recount, go ahead. Nothing was stopping them. In fact, in many states it does not require a candidate on the ballot to file, any citizen can file for a recount. If Trump or his supporters were satisfied that Hillary didn't pull anything in the states she won-they were screaming like stuck pigs before the election that she probably would-whose fault is that?

Who are you to disparage someone the right to a recount in an election? If you are confident the votes are legit, then you have nothing to worry about. You say asking for a recount smells fishy? I think that someone bashing someone for asking for a recount smells like a mackerel olfactory.
layman

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2016 10:33 am
@Blickers,
This has been discussed elsewhere, but delay is better than an actual recount. Once the upcoming deadline passes, no state will be able submit its votes to the electoral college.

But, thing is, even in that case, Clinton wouldn't win. It's a scam. Stein raised $7 million, but withdrew her petition for a recount in one state, claiming she was a "person of ordinary means" (paraphrasing) and couldn't afford the $1 million application fee.
0 Replies