Care of elderly Grandparent with pneumonia

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 01:25 am
Hello, I am taking care of my grandmother who is 89 years old. Her doctor told her today she has a touch of pneumonia. I wasn't able to be with her at the doctors appointment. So I don't have many of the details yet. I believe she has antiobiotics & a scheduled CT scan appt. She has also been put on oxygen. She hasn't indicated a specific pain in her chest. But is uncommonly weak & complains she can't seem to think straight. Due to her elderly age: Are there any particular signs or symptoms I should watch out for? Or suggestions for best caring for her while she recovers from this? I'm terribly worried about her & want to do everything to help that I possibly can. Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 895 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Thu 5 Feb, 2015 06:47 am
@LuvMyGrandparents,
I appreciate your concern about her, but this is a conversation you should be having with her physician. Ask, in particular, about home health assistance and also about drug interactions. This is assuming you have the capacity to act on her behalf. Do you? Because if you don't, then like it or not, you need to defer to the person who does (perhaps a parent of yours). If no one is so designated, this can turn into a legal matter. She is entitled to her medical privacy and is presumed to be competent enough to make her own medical decisions until proof is presented otherwise.
0 Replies